Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2023, 11:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

7.3 liter Godzilla Engine Spark Plug Wire Issues

So, on our way from Cannon Beach, OR to Boardman, OR (I know - who would go there! But we are on our way to Glacier) the engine knocks on acceleration and I see the check engine light come on. We are on Oregon 26.
I pull over, it sounds OK, and the light resets so we continue on.
It comes on again shortly thereafter, stays lit, and begins flashing underload. It does go back to solid when there is no load - flat grade or downhill. It does smooth out at higher revs.
With a lot of prayers, we get around Portland and through most of the Columbia River Gorge - we are on 84. Columbia River Gorge is stunning!
We call Ford and they want to tow us back to Portland to a service center that may help us in some undetermined length of time.
Note that we are 3000 miles from home, 11 months into an 18 month journey. I guess Ford thought we would camp out in the service center parking lot for a couple of months.
Other notes - the engine does knock at low revs under load, but the gas mileage is great for us at 8.4 mpg and all of the gauges are normal. We elect to head the extra hour to Boardman and look for a mobile mechanic.
Did some googling and there is a known problem with spark plug wires that would result in exactly what we are experiencing.
Find a mobile guy - not easy in Boardman - who comes out right away - he runs a scan - finds a misfire on cylinders 3 and 8 - and confirms it is likely the wires. He finds a set he can get the next day at an O'Reillys in the next town.
He replaces them and two legs of the trip later and 5 hours of drive time in all terrain types - so far, so good. Everything has worked as designed - touch wood.
Called Ford and they want me to submit the warranty claim though a dealer - ha! I bitched and they said they would submit the claim for me. We'll see how it goes!
Wanted to pass this on to get this off of my chest and provide some insight for anyone that might experience the same issues.
Safe travels!
Old 05-23-2023, 03:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Thanks for the tip, was it actually knocking or pinging?
Old 05-24-2023, 09:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I should not have been so "clever" in how I titled this post. I should have said something along the lines of "Problem with 7.3 liter Godzilla Engine Spark Plug Wires".
I don't see how I can edit this - Paul, if you read this - perhaps you could help?
Anyway, I don't think this applies to you bigb based upon your vehicle description.
Love your question, though. I don't think it was a ping - maybe a rattle was a better term? Anyway, it only happened when the issue first occurred. After that, it was more that you could feel the engine not firing on all cylinders at low revs and under load - will call that a wobble!
Safe Travels!
Old 05-24-2023, 11:37 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi Scott & Phyllis,
Glad that you did get your mobile mechanic to diagnose & repair the problem. I don't drive through Portland, let alone stay there overnight! You should have received from Ford a recall on those wires, but all is well that ends well.
Eagle5
Old 05-25-2023, 09:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I did speak with Ford yesterday. I mentioned that there was a recall on the spark plug wires per your message and they said there were no recalls on my vehicle. They still want me to submit my reimbursement claim through a dealer.
Woke up this morning wondering if I might also have the differential issue...ugh!
On the positive side...nice spot in CDA and finally a good run of weather!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230525_080414.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	186119   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230523_193029.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	186120  

Old 05-25-2023, 09:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
I did speak with Ford yesterday. I mentioned that there was a recall on the spark plug wires per your message and they said there were no recalls on my vehicle. They still want me to submit my reimbursement claim through a dealer.
Woke up this morning wondering if I might also have the differential issue...ugh!
On the positive side...nice spot in CDA and finally a good run of weather!
Years ago I 'heard' there was a recall on my vehicle and the dealers rep told me they didn't show one in their system. I later did a google search and sure enough, there was a recall for the exact problem I had. I printed out the info, and threatened to report them to the feds and suddenly they bent over backwards to get it fixed, with a grumpy face.

In general, do not trust any auto dealers shop to acknowledge a recall. You have to find the actual recall number and show it to them. On the other hand, I have read about manufacturers issuing courtesy recalls for goodwill. But I've also heard about some dealers not acknowledging them because it would cost them money.

Maybe try this, enter your VIN: Check for Recalls

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thx Jim. Was actually Ford I was speaking with, not a dealer. Checked the site you provided and 0 recalls on my VIN
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20230525_093357_Chrome.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	186121  
Old 05-28-2023, 05:38 PM   #8
Motorhome is for sale

I have a Chevy Workhorse 8.1 litre engine on the W24 chassis on my 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38T and it also has spark plug wiring grounded out, giving a misfire on weird occasions. The guy I bought it from actually included a new spark plug wire for the one that keeps failing. Saying "keep a look out for this issue".

Where to post RV for sale on here?????
I am selling my 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38T, has a dishwasher, washer/dryer super clean, new carpet, no pets or kids, and a multitude of new upgrades.
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...38T-5025771670
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Credit Due

In my humble opinion you would have been hard pressed to have found a solution to your problem as rapidly in Canon Beach or Seaside. Just thinking you might not want to be as snarky with your comments about areas or towns, especially when they end up salvaging your trip.
Hatrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:37 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty B View Post
I don't see how I can edit this - Paul, if you read this - perhaps you could help?
Done.

I almost retitled the thread when you posted it, but I didn’t want to completely change the title which it seemed I would need to do.

I “augment” titles for clarity and model info all the time. It helps folks get the answers they need and helps with future searching by others. But I try not to completely reword the title.

We had one member once that quit the forum and never returned because I added model info to his thread title. But so far, no other complaints.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Interesting. I just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago to our 2021 Adventurer 29B.

It started pinging on a long uphill grade under load while towing. Took it easy getting to our next stop for the night an hour away. Then spent a LOT of time trying to find a dealer anywhere in a hundred miles who could or would help. BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! However, the senior service advisor at one dealer a hundred miles away (fortunately in the direction we were going) said he'd be willing to come by after work and take a look at it -- off the books. So we nursed our MH slowly up the interstate to another campground somewhat nearer to the dealer. The young man come over that night, diagnosed the problem, replaced all of the spark plug wires, and cleared the ODB codes so the engine would run properly. It's been working fine for more than 1,000 miles ever since.

There is a Ford TSB #20-2370 from November 2020 on the poorly heat insulated spark plug wires for some 2020 F53 chassis. I had already purchased the new, better insulated wires but hadn't installed them -- my bad.

It seems that the Godzilla 7.3 generates a lot of heat, especially under load. This is another reason that the spark plug wires need better heat insulation. 2020 chassis were supposed to have their lower front air baffle modified for improved air flow to the engine (QVM Bulletin: Q-324R1). Later 2021 chassis are supposed to have a big baffle installed on the side of the chassis next to the engine to direct airflow to and from the engine (QVM Bulletin: Q-334), which applies to 2021 F53 chassis built after 1/25/2021. Mine does not have this side baffle, and there is no TSB that I'm aware of that would help getting this baffle and installing it (which looks like it would be something of a pain).

Note that these Ford issues are TSB's, not recalls, so you'll only find out about them when the problem comes up or you check for them yourself. My next step is to try and get reimbursed for the wires and install labor.

Scotty B, is there a specific Ford phone number that you called about this?
Old 05-30-2023, 09:08 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Paul. And congrats on your new grand child! God is great all of the time!
My rig has a construction date of 8/21 so it was supposed to be good, but obviously not!
Think it is a good idea to have an extra set with you.
I just called the Ford roadside assistance line 800 -241-3673.
They will tell you to get a dealer to submit the claim. I escalated it and they still said the same thing, but we're a bit more helpful in saying they would contact a dealer for me and provide contacts. Am going to try where I bought the Bronco.
Good luck and safe travels!
Old 05-30-2023, 09:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

One final note. I think I do have the bigger baffle. My guy had to unscrew it to be able to put the wires back on on the right side
Old 06-28-2023, 05:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I had the exact same problem on #3 wire with less than 2000 miles on new 2023 22 R. Ford had me towed to a dealer in Tampa and they assured me that all issues had been taken care of. Having done more research on the Godzilla, I am holding my breath as we prepare for an extended trip next month. Thank you for sharing your post and I hope all is well. Best wishes.
Vinnie2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 10:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Godzilla

Our 2022 Adventure went into shop yesterday for misfire. I connected code reader and reader showed misfire in cylinders 3, 4, & 8. I am hoping nothing more serious than plug wires!
Mr Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 09:17 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Got a call from Ford service today. They are replacing cylinder 3,4, & 8 plug wires. I inquired about replacing all 8 and they said since it was under warranty they could only replace the faulty ones. Picking up tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed for no more misfires. Might end up replacing the remaining 5, we will determine later.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:13 PM   #17
Site Team

Hi Mr. Miller,
Good to know your experience with the plug wires. It is most curious that they are not replacing all eight.
  1. Can you tell the difference between the new plug wires and the old ones?
  2. Are you going to buy five more to have on-hand?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 06-30-2023, 11:12 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Having engine issues like this does greatly increase the anxiety level! Everyone says it's not if something will break again on your RV, it's when it will break. Does not make it any easier...
You're blessed it happened close to home and you can take a bit of time to get it fixed and have a place to stay while the fix happens.
Update on our situation, the motor seemed bullet proof until we had our issue at 9K miles plus.
Touch wood, all good since then. We're now near Edmonton, so many miles and mountains since Oregon and everything operating as designed.
You kind of have to just get in and drive...and pray!
Surprised they only want to change a few of your wires, but that is corporate America.
Last note, Ford did reimburse me for my expenses.
Safe travels and God bless!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20230618_201754.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	434.0 KB
ID:	186519  
Old 07-01-2023, 09:25 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Picked up motor home yesterday. It ran great the 60 miles back home. Removed dog house to check plug wires. Ford replaced the faulty 3 with original OEM wires. I was hoping a better insulated wires would be installed. I didn’t purchase any spare wires. Dealership wanted approximately $60 for one wire. Since coach is 7 months old and under warranty I will let Ford buy them!!!
Old 07-01-2023, 10:06 AM   #20
Site Team

Hi again Mr. Miller,
At $480 for a complete set of wires from Ford, I can understand why you would not wish to replace the other five wires. Might I suggest that you purchase a code-reader? If you get an issue on the road, it would increase your ability to diagnose & repair it yourself.
The replacement wires from Amazon have only a one-star rating, and they guy reported that #7 misfired after 6,000 miles, and the plug wire was melted. So, it looks like buying the Ford-approved plug wires are a more reliable option. Hopefully, you will have no more problems, and should you do, a new & improved plug wire will be available at that time in the future.
Eagle5

Tags
engine