Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have been searching for that perfect full time coach for over a year now. It
has been
rather interesting. We started liking a Itasca 40FD and then we saw the 40TD
and were not
sure which we would prefer and began looking at Tiffins and Mandlays. Then the
new
maxium chassis came out so we took close look at the MPLS RV show. Not only did
we like
the improvements to the basement storage but we discovered the 40WD floorplan
and for
now it is the coach of choice for us. Would be interested to hear any good or
bad feedback on these models and the maxium chassis.
We also saw some full wall Fleetwoods with the TV in living area that we liked
but I am not
sure I trust the Fleetwood brand.

Now if my house will just sell we can look to buy rather than looking in hopes
of buying.

Speaking of buying a couple we know told us their parents bought at Lazy Days
and camp
there some each year. I hadn't considered buying from them but am wondering if
we should
at least explore them -- anyone had good or bad experiences?

Thanks
mrmrsbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have been searching for that perfect full time coach for over a year now. It
has been
rather interesting. We started liking a Itasca 40FD and then we saw the 40TD
and were not
sure which we would prefer and began looking at Tiffins and Mandlays. Then the
new
maxium chassis came out so we took close look at the MPLS RV show. Not only did
we like
the improvements to the basement storage but we discovered the 40WD floorplan
and for
now it is the coach of choice for us. Would be interested to hear any good or
bad feedback on these models and the maxium chassis.
We also saw some full wall Fleetwoods with the TV in living area that we liked
but I am not
sure I trust the Fleetwood brand.

Now if my house will just sell we can look to buy rather than looking in hopes
of buying.

Speaking of buying a couple we know told us their parents bought at Lazy Days
and camp
there some each year. I hadn't considered buying from them but am wondering if
we should
at least explore them -- anyone had good or bad experiences?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Buy the floorplan that you like. I wanted a TV on the side and not over the dash, so the 40AD plan was perfect for us. We still like it after 30,000+ miles of use and a year of fulltiming. One of the floorplans you mentioned is very, very similar to the AD and that would be our choice.

The big disadvantage (my opinion) of the new chassis is the rear radiator. We have a side radiator and that is highly desirable for a variety of reasons. Do a forum search - we have kicked this topic around at least a couple of previous times.

We ordered our coach at Lazydays and I would buy from them again in a heartbeat. In fact, that would be the first place I would coach shop due to their extensive selection and the fact you can wander around without a sales person in tow. Do a forum search for "Lazydays" (correct spelling) and "Lazy Days" (incorrect spelling) for more discussion.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

MrMrsBB,

As John states, buy what is right for you. All the floorplans have their benefits and everyone has their personal opinion. We like the TD because we wanted the TV on the side as well and did not want to be looking up over the dash which is most common. Haven't seen the WD in person and the layout looks interesting. We like the TD due to the larger slides = more sq footage, TV location to couch, the fireplace, the separate bathroom and hallway to bedroom (open layout).

As for buying from a dealer, shop around, there are plenty of good deals out there. As you'll see on the forum ask for 25% off and work up from there.

As for quality of product, Winnie makes a very good one. I would consider it higher quality than the Fleetwood (that's a personal opinion only). We looked at the fullwall slide model as well and it is nice but I believe you would be better off with the Winnie.

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:26 AM   #5

We also do not like the TV over the dash for a lot of reasons. We have had both, but that kind only once. We are awaiting the arrival of our Vectra 40FD that will replace the Vectra 40AD we just sold. We really liked that floorplan for us and the added 4th slide in the bedroom makes it even better. I agree that the Winnebago is a better coach, but of course that is also a biased opinion. You have to decide what is best for you and those that travel with you.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hey good to hear from you again John

Thanks for confirming that LazyDays is good dealer. We have been in email contact with them for a while now and may take a trip down there to check it out.

What you told us before about your AD helped us narrow or choice to these three. All have the TV in the living area -- a must on our list.

Agree with you on getting what we like -- only problem is we like all three for differing reasons. The FD has a real at home feeling but doesn't seem to have extra wardrobe or other pluses of the TD & WD. The TDs have tons of storage inside but the kitchen has limited counter space and a small pantry. The WD has the best kitchen in Janie's (my wife) view as well as a huge pantry and an extra wardrobe. Like the TD it has a one room bath but the sink counter is smaller. Bedroom is like the TD but with a smaller night stand (smaller drawers). WE are leaning toward the WD because it seems to be the best overall compromise and has tons of seating in the living area (two sofas and a semi circle dinette) which will be great for get togethers (bible study or other ministry activities). We just are not sure if we will find teh round table a pain after a while. Another concern is the lack of an area for our desktop iMac. Most caoches just don,t seem to address that very well. fleetwood has a full wall unit with a desk but I have heard a lot of bad stuff about the brand and would need to be convinced they are a good brand.

Once again thanks for your you well thought out and eloquently stated input. Pray for our house to sell - so we can get on the road. Hoping our paths some day when we do.

We have a web site now check us and our plans etc out at WWW.SOCM.US

Be blessed
Billy Blake
Old 02-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input -- I am sure any of the three would work - so in the end price we an find one at may be the deciding factor -- first though we need this house to SELL!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle241:
MrMrsBB,

As John states, buy what is right for you. All the floorplans have their benefits and everyone has their personal opinion. We like the TD because we wanted the TV on the side as well and did not want to be looking up over the dash which is most common. Haven't seen the WD in person and the layout looks interesting. We like the TD due to the larger slides = more sq footage, TV location to couch, the fireplace, the separate bathroom and hallway to bedroom (open layout).

As for buying from a dealer, shop around, there are plenty of good deals out there. As you'll see on the forum ask for 25% off and work up from there.

As for quality of product, Winnie makes a very good one. I would consider it higher quality than the Fleetwood (that's a personal opinion only). We looked at the fullwall slide model as well and it is nice but I believe you would be better off with the Winnie.

Kyle </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 02-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks -- Good luck on your new coach. deciding what is best -- ah there's the rub. No coach is perfect an none are exactly what we think we might need. Thinking what we will need but don't and will need but don't know it is where you good folks come into play. Like the popular saying goes 'been there done that got the tee shirt" - you all have had the experience of buy a coach or in some cases several and can help us get our think I needs sorted.

Give your golden a hug for us- we have two dogs one 1/2 golden and 1/2 Border Collie -- super mix! The other is a Jack Russel, they are bet of buddies. Obviously room for them is part of our needs and on reason we want slide son both sides of the living area (the TD isn't quite full opposing slides).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by glenda1908:
We also do not like the TV over the dash for a lot of reasons. We have had both, but that kind only once. We are awaiting the arrival of our Vectra 40FD that will replace the Vectra 40AD we just sold. We really liked that floorplan for us and the added 4th slide in the bedroom makes it even better. I agree that the Winnebago is a better coach, but of course that is also a biased opinion. You have to decide what is best for you and those that travel with you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>