Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Im considering a new 38J and would like to know if any one has one and how they like it.Also if you have weighted the mh what does it weigh(each corner) and are there any problems that should be looked out for.What is your mpg and average speed.
pep65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Im considering a new 38J and would like to know if any one has one and how they like it.Also if you have weighted the mh what does it weigh(each corner) and are there any problems that should be looked out for.What is your mpg and average speed.
pep65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I special ordered a Suncruiser 38J and took delivery shortly before Thanksgiving, 2006. It is a beautiful rig and we think we will love it. We plan to retire this year and full time in it. In fact we are listing our house with a realtor today! Unfortunately we have had some initial quality issues that we think were equally caused by build quality and dealer or delivery driver mishaps. We drove it home and then took it out to a truck scales to weigh it and the backup monitor went out. The back of both Ultraleather front seats were ripped or cut by both slides. The breather cap on the hydraulic reservoir was cross threaded (poor design of plastic cap and metal reservoir, or maybe a burr on the reservoir threads?). The dinnette slide rubbed a hole in the trim molding because it was not properly adjusted. And there were other issues.... We took the rig out for one long weekend after Thanksgiving and then took it into the dealer to have the items fixed. It went in on December 5th. We finally went and got it in mid January because of a predicted heavy freeze and we had canned goods in the rig that we did not want to freeze. We have taken it back for service twice more and it is there now. The monitor finally got replaced and now the left hand camera is bad and needs to be replaced. We have our second breather cap on order. The hydraulic hose that goes from the pump reservoir to the equalizer on the driver's side needed to be replaced due to a leak and a swelling on the hose. They got that replaced but cannot figure out how to bleed the lines and the slide is stuck out! We are hoping to have this fixed today or tomorrow and have reservations for this weekend to take it out for only the second trip! So far we have paid over $3,000 in payments and used it once. We have only filled up the tank once and don't put much stalk in mgp figures until the motor has about 10,000 miles on it but we got about 6.5 mpg. We have great hopes that we will get these initial bugs worked out and that there won't be others that continually pop up. We are experienced RVers having had RVs since the 70's so we know about the odds and ends that occur and how to fix many of them ourselves. This is a beautiful rig and very well constructed in most areas - such as the cabinetry. It is definitely a step up in quality over our prior Fleetwood product. The weight figures are on a peice of paper in the rig (which is an hour away at the dealer's) so I cannot give you accurate figures but it actually came in weighing less than what was on the sticker in the closet. This means that you can rely on having at least (or better) what the CCC is on the sticker. The passenger side was heavier than the drivers side as I remember but not too far off. The rig sits level.

Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Oops, I mis-spoke. It is the driver's side that is heavier. That is where the big slide is and the bedroom slide is also on that side. So is the kitchen.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
LR
Winnebago Camper

Here you go:

We have a 2005 38J. The following weights were with full fuel and water tanks and loaded for a trip: Lfront-3850, Rfront 3640, Lrear-6960, Rrear-6600, total 22450. We do not have the washing machine option, nor the double door refrig.

Our milage has been about 6.7mpg at at averge speed of 60mph. This was on a trip from Southern California to Montana, taking a lot of grades.

We are quite satisfied with the unit. My wife loves the arrangement, particularly the kitchen. I like where the TV is located across from the couch and lounge chair. It handles just fine. Like any front gas engine motorhome, it gets a little noisy when taking a grade a 4000 rpm. I would like to have less wind noise in the drivers seat, but since we only go about 5000 miles annually, I can put up with it.

Let me know if have any other questions.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
LR
Winnebago Camper

Two other things I forgot to include. One, we pull a Jeep Cheerokee, about 3500 pounds. Two, we found the dining table too tall by about one and half inches. Had to cut off the pedestal. Should have asked for a new table instead.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have an 06 38J Suncruiser and we have just LOVED it!! We have had 1 cronic problem, the main entry door. We can't keep it aligned and have to slam the door to close it. We have had a solinoid replaced and it is is now for a hydrolic leak.

We get 6.5 MPG towing our PT cruiser and up to 8.0 when not towing.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:10 AM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Doug Sage,
If those are the only bugs your coach has consider yourself very lucky.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hang in there and be patient (or you'll go crazy) with the repairs...I had 6000 miles of travel to the repair shops in the first 6 months and winnebago paid for my travel expenses on major repairs. Be persistent on getting things done correctly and try to save time by going to shops that you feel comfortable with.... so you dont wast time and fuel and mileage...My Rep took notice that I was reasonable and patient and it paid off!

Good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We have a 06 Adventurer 38J and we love it. The TV placement and the rest of the floor plan really attracted us to this model.

We have had some small issues since we bought in October 06. My left camera also failed and was replaced under warranty. The CB antenna was rusted (also replaced). Couple of mouldings came off, etc. All in all we are very satisfied.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

PEP65

Our family is very happy with our 2006 38J floor plan. At 6800 miles towing a Saturn we have averaged 6.5 MPG.

Major Problems: Drivers side camera has been replaced twice. HWH leveler problem, dealer working with HWH replaced high pressure switch, then all other major parts >> problem was factory misadjusted high pressure switchs. Parallax converter charger failed and was replaced (Now made in China). Exterior on-going front cap (Front panel with the headlamps, etc) gap were if mates to side panel. Was fixed by dealer per Winnebago instructions, then panel moved again. May require trip to Forest City.

Overall well made and livable coach. Systems worked well during recent winter camping trips to Western Pennsylvania in 20 degree temperatures.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outbumn:
We have an 06 38J Suncruiser and we have just LOVED it!! We have had 1 cronic problem, the main entry door. We can't keep it aligned and have to slam the door to close it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Outbumn;

Have you come up with a solution to your door slamming? Mine closed quite well but had a terrible rattle in it, so the dealer 'adjusted' it. No rattle while driving but now you have to slam it three or four times to close. Can't be good for the door frame and fiberglass over the long haul...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

No,

The latest idea is that it is sprung. It stays adjusted for a few months, then gets hard to close. I am going to have it checked in Forest City in July.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Outbumn:
No,

The latest idea is that it is sprung. It stays adjusted for a few months, then gets hard to close. I am going to have it checked in Forest City in July. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, was hoping you had an easy solution. I assume you've seen this posted at http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2003...oor%20Adjustment.pdf
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote