Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Wife and I have been looking at trading up....had zeroed in on a 2001 37G Adventurer but knowing we want to eventually end up with a diesel, we are investigating a 2002 Journey 36G. It is at a dealer in Illinois. He claims he will work the deal (including trade for my 97 gasser) over the phone. I just talked to previous owner who highly recommends the coach...said he traded for '05 Journey (his 3rd with same dealer) to get FBP, electric awnings, etc. It has 30K miles, 330 cat, loaded with options, 2 slides, many extras.....

I've seen the recent post about rust under the Journey but previous owner said he paid to have his undercoated before it ever hit the road.

Any feedback on the Journey would be appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Wife and I have been looking at trading up....had zeroed in on a 2001 37G Adventurer but knowing we want to eventually end up with a diesel, we are investigating a 2002 Journey 36G. It is at a dealer in Illinois. He claims he will work the deal (including trade for my 97 gasser) over the phone. I just talked to previous owner who highly recommends the coach...said he traded for '05 Journey (his 3rd with same dealer) to get FBP, electric awnings, etc. It has 30K miles, 330 cat, loaded with options, 2 slides, many extras.....

I've seen the recent post about rust under the Journey but previous owner said he paid to have his undercoated before it ever hit the road.

Any feedback on the Journey would be appreciated.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the Meridian 36G. Great coach.
30K miles is not even broken in yet. We love the floor plan, and the way it handles. Very easy to drive and park.
Walt
Old 01-22-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have an 02 Horizon, which was the same motorhome as the Journey that year. Only differences were fabrics, carpet colors, etc, and a few "standards" which were options on the Journey.

I bought mine as a 16 month old one-owner rig, and also spoke to the owner before buying. He didn't tell me that the motorhome had a driveline vibration, leaking hydraulic slide ram, driver's windshield had been replaced, but then leaked, R.F. HWH leveler jack was slichtly bent and stuck, and a number of other minor problems.

But Freightliner, Cat, Allison and HWH all have 3 year transferrable warranties at no charge, and they covered everything. Winnebago also gave me some relief on a couple of house system problems, and everything is now as it should be.

I know that you will love the motorhome, if all is well. See if you can get all the service history on the coach, certainly do a good test drive, and spend a day on the PDI. Don't pay for problems that were there before you bought the coach, unless you are getting an extremely good deal. Good luck.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Capt. Bill:

This one is currently at a dealer...the owner is in Florida. Owner was honest about one problem with the coach...said it took about one year to finally discover and correct it...the inverter was not properly grounded which caused intermittent electrical problems. He claims the dealer has all service records and that there are no mechanical issues. If we do this, we will certainly drive the coach and inspect it thoroughly before exchaning any $$.

Also, what kind of fuel mileage might I expect with the CAT 330?
Old 01-23-2005, 05:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have the 2001 Horizon, the sister to the coach you are looking at. Although we had several problems, I don't think most were widespread in the line. Took 3 entry doors to eliminate wind noise in the front door, took it back to the factory for a squeak in the floor in the bath, minor leak problem in the hydraulic system, and on the third propane tank. I had the first two replaced before the recall occurred. Take a look at the tank. If it has bands around it, the tank has been replaced. If not, there was a recall to add the bands if the tank wasn't leaking, and to replace the tank if it was. Mine was leaking at the weld at the top of the tank. You can only find it by crawling under the coach and spraying a heavy soap solution on the top of the tank where the welds to the mounting bracket is.

All that being said, we love our coach. We are currently looking to upgrade to a raised rail chassis, with the option of full body paint.

Fuel mileage is an age old question. Depends on how you drive the unit. I typically get around 7 - 7.5 mpg, pulling a full size suburban and driving the speed limit. Not retired yet, can't seem to keep my foot out of it! I've heard of others getting close to 10 mpg driving 60. All depends on you!

Good luck with the new coach. I think you'll love it!
BattChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 06:25 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I forgot to answer your question about mileage. I have a Silverleaf VMS200 computer display permanently installed in my rig, and among the many things that it will display, is fuel mileage, taken right from the Cat330 ECU.

The best mileage I have ever attained was when we drove back from Iowa, no toad, and many hours of cruise-controlled 62-65. On one tank of fuel, I got 11 mpg. One most other trips, which always include a fair amount of mixed suburbs/highway, I get 9 mpg, plus or minus a half. My unit has 30,000 miles on it, and I think it's fair to say that your mileage improves when you pass the 18-20,000 mile mark.

I don't know if it makes any significant difference, but I use 15W-40 full (Amsoil) synthetic in the engine, and have had Freightliner change the transmission fluid to their highly recommended TranSynd full synthetic ATF. If you do that, (the TranSynd ATF), Allison extends the change interval from 30k to 150,000 miles, and qualifies your trans for an extended warranty, which you can't buy otherwise.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote