Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2021, 08:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

35F Outside TV Access

I have a 2011 Itasca Sunstar 35F. I want to add a Roku box to the outside TV, which means getting access to the USB ports on the TV, and to the power plug which presumably is behind the TV somewhere. But when I look, I don't see how to get access to the TV mount to remove the TV and get access behind it. Anyone done this and care to tell me what I need to do?
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:28 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Why not just get a ROKU Streaming Stick+ ? I don't believe that not requires a power plug.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Why not just get a ROKU Streaming Stick+ ? I don't believe that not requires a power plug.
I would still need access to the USB plugs on the rear of the TV.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Its hard to be certain on your model, but typically there is a pull down latch on the bottom of the mount that will unlock the tv from the mount.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I spent some more time with this this morning and figured it out. The mount is mounted to the back of the TV, and is then mounted to the backer plate of the TV compartment with 2 screws on each side. There is just enough room to get a screwdriver in there to remove the screws, once you pop the hydraulic arms off the compartment lid.

The power to the TV is actually underneath the false bottom under the sink.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:09 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

affreeman, any chance of getting pics of what you did? I'm not planning on removing mine, but in case I do it would be nice to know. Also, if you removed the hydraulic arms, how did you hold the door up to work there?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2021, 07:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upinsmoke View Post
affreeman, any chance of getting pics of what you did? I'm not planning on removing mine, but in case I do it would be nice to know. Also, if you removed the hydraulic arms, how did you hold the door up to work there?
Thanks
This is what my outside TV looks like, just to make sure you're dealing with the same set-up: https://photos.app.goo.gl/QVHbYg2nJaKousgeA

I tried to get a photo showing the screws that need to be removed, but it was just impossible.

I removed the hydraulic arms that hold up the door. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to pry the spring clip on the head of the arm where it attaches to the door.

I was expecting that the door would be completely loose without the arms in place, and I was going to open it completely against the wall of the RV and tape it in place while I worked on the TV, but the hinge was actually very tight and it stayed up on its own.

Once the arms are free and hanging down on their own, you']ll be able to see 2 phillips-head screws on each side of the TV. There's just enough room to get a screwdriver in there to remove them. The TV won't fall because it's sitting on that bar the speakers and radio are mounted in, but now it's free and you can move it. I was working alone so carefully leaned it forward, keeping the bottom on the ledge of the opening while I plugged in an HDMI cable and worked out where the power cable was run to.

The power outlet for the TV is underneath the false bottom under the kitchen sink. It is a single-outlet box so I just added a 1 to 2 tap so I could plug in my Roku.

If you are doing anything that is going to need power, I recommend opening up under the sink first so when you're outside plugging things into the TV, you can see where you're trying to route the power cable.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:30 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

affreeman, thanks for the pic and explanation. While I must have a thousand pics of everything on our RV, I've somehow missed taking ones of the outside TV. So, for now, I'll have to assume that they are at least close since it's the same model and within 4 production years.
What you've described sounds exactly like I remember ours.

Thanks again.