Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

33c design problems hidden by Winnebago

Winnebago added an island to later class A designs. If you have an island and slide out problems with the driver side stop and get fixed.Winnebago neglected to add a roller under the slide out on earlier models with island.

Our 2014 Itasca slide out stopped working and tore up the flooring.
I’m getting it fixed as no other choice. Dealers are aware of this problems but owners not advised.

Meantime I have to “wait” for the Winnebago to send “their” repair kit to dealer. Going on a month while coach sits. My third Winnebago.

Will they reimburse my cost??

Lots see what they say!
ernied7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 01:43 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Who told you they are waiting on Winnebago? If the dealer I would call Winnebago and verify that the dealer even made the request. Inmanythreads I have read where people are waiting for parts from Winn and the dealere hasn't even requested them. A simple call is all that is needed.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:09 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Who told you they are waiting on Winnebago? If the dealer I would call Winnebago and verify that the dealer even made the request. Inmanythreads I have read where people are waiting for parts from Winn and the dealere hasn't even requested them. A simple call is all that is needed.
+1

My dealer “waited” for parts and they hadn’t even done the paperwork.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
+1

My dealer “waited” for parts and they hadn’t even done the paperwork.

That happens a lot. Or, 3 items to work on and they order 1 part and work on the problem, then order the second part and so on.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

R u with Winnebago?Who and how did you contact them?
Old 06-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Let me ask this question!Has anyone else had a slide out problem?
Old 06-29-2018, 10:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We bought a brand new 33C in Feb. We kept noticing that the floor would have a black mark on it from moving the slide in and out. We planned a trip that would include the Winnebago factory in Iowa. We didn't have an appointment but they took us in and installed a wheel under the sink island. I'm glad we didn't let it go too long, judging from what happened to you. They also took care of a couple other things while we were there.
winniewife48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernied7 View Post
R u with Winnebago?Who and how did you contact them?
Just call the Customer Care # and have your VIN handy. It really doesn't matter who takes the call as Winnebago has really good customer contact/support software. They can tell you when the repair was approved, when the parts were ordered, if the parts are available, and when the parts shipped. You can learn real fast what your dealer has and has not been doing.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernied7 View Post
Winnebago added an island to later class A designs. If you have an island and slide out problems with the driver side stop and get fixed.Winnebago neglected to add a roller under the slide out on earlier models with island.

Our 2014 Itasca slide out stopped working and tore up the flooring.
I’m getting it fixed as no other choice. Dealers are aware of this problems but owners not advised.
!
I have the 2010 33c that was the first year for that floorplan. I have downloaded the brochure for every year of the 33c since then. I find that there has been no change in the floorplan for the 33c since it was first introduced except for including a four door fridge instead of the two door fridge. There is no "island" that has been added.

In addition, I have had no problems with that slide out. I even changed out the original sheet vinyl flooring for luxury vinyl planks, which are thicker, and still have no problems with the slide out.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:31 AM   #10
Vietnam Veteran 1967-1970

Sightseer 33C Island

We have a New 2019 Sightseer 33C with the "1/2 Island". It TOO CAUSES BLACK MARKS on the floor and is 'hard' to wipe clean. I will ask about a "Roller " that should be installed. I would believe that it should solve my problem. Can the DEALER do this for me? Thanks for your posting about the rollers......
GBFANKEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Flush slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I have the 2010 33c that was the first year for that floorplan. I have downloaded the brochure for every year of the 33c since then. I find that there has been no change in the floorplan for the 33c since it was first introduced except for including a four door fridge instead of the two door fridge. There is no "island" that has been added.

In addition, I have had no problems with that slide out. I even changed out the original sheet vinyl flooring for luxury vinyl planks, which are thicker, and still have no problems with the slide out.
My 2011 street slide works fine also. In 2012, they did modify that slide to be flush with floor when open. I always lamented not having that. Maybe that is what is causing issues we older 33c'rs aren't having. If is is, no longer lamenting.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #12

I recently added felt strips down under 2 sides of the 1/2 Island. I used Gorilla glue and held the felt strips in place with yard sticks and wood wedges until dried. The felt strips SHOULD NOT come off now. If I still get "black marks"? Then I will TRIM the rubber wipers underneath the counter cabinet edges. I will let you know when I get back home from my next trip IF THE FELT WORKS. When the slideout is in and the Island should rest on the felt, NOT the rubber wipers.
Joshua 24:15
Old 08-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
My 2011 street slide works fine also. In 2012, they did modify that slide to be flush with floor when open. I always lamented not having that. Maybe that is what is causing issues we older 33c'rs aren't having. If is is, no longer lamenting.
I'm guessing that you are referring to the carpeted ledge at the bottom of the buffet that stuck out. They did eliminate the ledge so that the chairs could sit closer to the buffet. However the original poster was concerned with black streaks left on the floor by the cabinet under the sink going in and out. The black rubber sweep between the bottom of the cabinet and the floor should not cause black streaks unless it is totally pinched between the bottom of the cabinet and the floor.

I removed the floor of the sink cabinet when I was installing my plank flooring. There are a couple of items under that floor that could cause black streaks. There is black sealant that was used where the sink drain goes through the coach floor and there are electrical lines that have black insulation. If any of those were pinched beneath the sink cabinet they could leave black streaks on the floor when putting the slide in and out.

I hope the original poster has gotten his black streak problem solved, maybe he'll give us an update.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:22 PM   #14

I am talking exactly under the sink. The rubber wipers (I assume are for keeping thing out from underneath the counter and sink). They seem to get underneath the edges of the sink counter and with the weight of the counter/sink, when the slide is in, causing black lines where the counter rested on the floor when closed. The felt strips may work? Just moving the slideout in and out does nothing. Only when closed and driving over bumps, bad roads etc. We park, level. Open slideout, black marks where the counter was....We don't have ANY carpeting, except on the entry steps. No ledge where the chairs sits either.
Someone originally called it an island? I called it a 1/2 Island because the Island is part of the slideout....
Someone also talked about a Roller(s) missing from underneath the counter which would allow it to roll accross the floor and not leave black marks when closed?
I don't see how any roller would attach UNLESS it was routed or molded into the bottom edge of the counter. I could barely apply felt stripping to the bottom edge.
Maybe I am totally CONFUSED about the original problem? I have a 2019 Sightseer 33C. My sink counter leaves black lines where the rubber meets the floor and ONLY when closed and we are driving.
Joshua 24:15
Old 08-05-2018, 06:10 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFANKEN View Post
I am talking exactly under the sink. The rubber wipers (I assume are for keeping thing out from underneath the counter and sink). They seem to get underneath the edges of the sink counter and with the weight of the counter/sink, when the slide is in, causing black lines where the counter rested on the floor when closed. The felt strips may work? Just moving the slideout in and out does nothing. Only when closed and driving over bumps, bad roads etc. We park, level. Open slideout, black marks where the counter was....We don't have ANY carpeting, except on the entry steps. No ledge where the chairs sits either.
Someone originally called it an island? I called it a 1/2 Island because the Island is part of the slideout....
Someone also talked about a Roller(s) missing from underneath the counter which would allow it to roll accross the floor and not leave black marks when closed?
I don't see how any roller would attach UNLESS it was routed or molded into the bottom edge of the counter. I could barely apply felt stripping to the bottom edge.
Maybe I am totally CONFUSED about the original problem? I have a 2019 Sightseer 33C. My sink counter leaves black lines where the rubber meets the floor and ONLY when closed and we are driving.
You are totally on track. The original problem is as you describe. Black marks left on the floor under the sink cabinet (some called it an "island", some called it a "1/2 island").

The older models of motorhomes (for example, my 2010) used the Power Gear slideout system. When the slideout is in, the black rubber sweep on the bottom of the sink cabinet is slightly above the floor. Thus there is no leaving black marks on the floor.

In newer motorhome models, the RV industry switched from the Power Gear (through the frame) slideout system to the Schwintek (in-wall) slideout system on some slideouts. The Schwintek system is a whole different animal and it slides in and out differently than the Power Gear system. I have no experience with the Schwintek system but some have mentioned problems with it. As some have mentioned maybe the large slideout on the 33C needs an additional roller.
Good luck with your "felt" solution! Hope that helps out your situation.

https://www.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out
Old 08-05-2018, 06:55 AM   #16
Site Team

One tiny correction aauummm, LCI (Lippert) markets 3-styles of slide systems as Power Gear. Through Frame, Schwintec and SlimRack. And Winnebago has used all three on the large full-wall slide on the Adventurer line over time. The model started with the Through Fame system and that seems to have been the best. Then around 2012 or 2013, not sure the year, they changed it to Schwintec. That hasn’t worked well at all. But in 2015 or 2016 they changed it again to the SlimRack system. Which is better than Schwintec but not as good as the Through the Frame system.

My Adventurer has the SlimRack full-wall slide and there is a black rubber seal under the sink... but it doesn’t leave any black marks that I’ve seen on my floor.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:15 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the clarification!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
One tiny correction aauummm, LCI (Lippert) markets 3-styles of slide systems as Power Gear. Through Frame, Schwintec and SlimRack. And Winnebago has used all three on the large full-wall slide on the Adventurer line over time. The model started with the Through Fame system and that seems to have been the best. Then around 2012 or 2013, not sure the year, they changed it to Schwintec. That hasn’t worked well at all. But in 2015 or 2016 they changed it again to the SlimRack system. Which is better than Schwintec but not as good as the Through the Frame system.

My Adventurer has the SlimRack full-wall slide and there is a black rubber seal under the sink... but it doesn’t leave any black marks that I’ve seen on my floor.
Thanks for the clarification! I was a little unsure on the exact details of that progression in the newer model years as my main focus has been on the Power Gear system of the older models, which mine is. Just in curiousity, in trying to compare the Schwintek system to the SlimRack system I can't find much difference other than a name change. They look the same. There must be some differences that I am missing.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #18
Site Team

Schwintec has quasi-gears attached directly on the wall of the slide. The SlimRack has physical toothed gears that stand proud of the slide walls.

I say the Schwintec gears are “quasi” because it’s a flat plate with a “U” and “upside down U” shape and they are flat on the wall. SlimRack are more robust, toothed and freestanding about 1.5” away from the wall.

The motors are different too but hidden.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Schwintec has quasi-gears attached directly on the wall of the slide. The SlimRack has physical toothed gears that stand proud of the slide walls.

I say the Schwintec gears are “quasi” because it’s a flat plate with a “U” and “upside down U” shape and they are flat on the wall. SlimRack are more robust, toothed and freestanding about 1.5” away from the wall.

The motors are different too but hidden.
Ahhh...got it. Thanks for explaining the difference!
Old 08-05-2018, 04:35 PM   #20
Site Team

Here's photos:
Slim Rack first, schwintec second:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slimrack.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	170067  
Attached Images