Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2nd Vectra/Horizon 40' I have looked at with mileage on odometer not matching actual

I've looked at Vectra and Horizon 40 footers, and I have now already come across my second one where the mileage indicated on the odometer does not match actual. One was privately owned, and in speaking with the owner he says it's a common fault in the Freightliner system. He says the repair shop scanned his ECU but Freightliner won't restore the correct mileage as stored in the ECU for legal reasons. Has anyone heard of this, and what's the story? One of them is a very nice coach but I'm leery of getting involved because then I have to deal with a coach with "stories" when it's my time to sell. Can anyone foll me in on whats going on here? is this really a well known situation with these Vectra/Horizon coaches? Am I wrong in thinking that this would be a issue when I sell it? Is there no way to properly restore the mileage on the odometer, or at least reliably document the true miles with some accepted and reliable form?
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi,
I have a 2005 vectra .
The odometer was correct and matched the computer stored mileage.
The last time that I erased the trip mileage, somehow the accumulated mileage also was reset to zero.
Since then the odometer has worked correctly, but the mileage that it shows is the mileage since it was reset.
I called freightliner tec support. They gave me the code necessary to access the TRUE mileage that is stored in the computer. Codes are not the same for all coaches.
In short, it is a very common problem, and should not affect resale value because the true mileage is readily accessable any time that it is needed.
The odometer, trip 1, and trip 2 all have worked as designed since the reset.
Akdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We had the same problem with our Journey, they told us at Gafney that it was common.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Horizon Odometer vs ECU

Hi Doug427.. We have a2005 Itasca Horizon 40KD (absolutely love it BTW).
We bought it TMU (True Mileage Unknown) from a large dealer in FLA. Odometer read Zero miles, and ECU read ~50K. so we got it at a discount as it is now titled as TMU, which make make it an issue should we decide to sell (no plans to ever sell it).
like Akdale, everything works fine, and has been for 25K+ miles we've added.

The 2005 is a good solid RV and we have been fulltiming since July this year.

-mike
CigarBoy is offline   Reply With Quote