Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2022, 07:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

2022/2023 Journey 34N

We currently have a 2021 View 24D and have been looking at a new Journey 34N as a possible replacement and upgrade.

Has anyone accepted delivery yet on a new 34N?

Or has anyone heard from their dealer that they should be receiving 34Ns soon?

Most of the online videos are of the original prototype (with a discontinued microwave). There's at least one video from the January 2022 Florida RV Supershow of a newer prototype with a current Samsung convection/slim fry/microwave and a Winegard Air 360+ router in the ceiling. But nothing posted by any dealers from their lots or from anyone who has purchased any of the new Journeys.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 08:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We ordered a 40P Journey in January 2022. We were told that unit should ( might ) be available March/April 2023. Our dealer is in Forest City near Winnebago. He heard that units will be produced and released in September 2022.
Goodscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 09:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've heard from multiple sources that the first production 34N's should be coming off the production line in September (possibly early September).

We're in the process of finalizing an order of a 34N.

We found out the Rest Easy Sofa in the 34N will recline the back cushions and has footrests that can be extended. With the footrests extended and the backs fully down flat, it should make a 60"x74" bed, though the footrests don't provide a solid surface - so we'd probably plan to bring an inflatable queen mattress that we could put over the sofa to provide a better sleeping area.

There was supposed to be an optional StudioLoft (it's listed in the online brochure) - but that option appears to have been dropped for now and may take more than a year before it might be available.

Overall, we're very satisfied with the design and features of the 34N.

The biggest open issue - is that we'd like the ability to run at least one of the air conditioner's off the lithium batteries, like the 2023 New Aire. There isn't enough information online or in the videos to determine if that is possible in the Journey. Though the lithium battery upgrade with only 4 125Ah lithium batteries and a single 3000W inverter probably don't provide enough power to support A/C (the New Aire includes a second 3000W inverter).

If we could run A/C off the batteries, we'd probably take the 6 AGM batteries and replace those with two 630Ah lithium batteries (that should fit in the same space used by the stock AGM batteries). That would provide 1260Ah of power - enough to run one A/C for several hours along with everything else in the coach.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:14 PM   #4
Site Team

A word of caution… lots of us have Winnebago motorhomes with “Rest Easy” sofas. Unless they’ve made some kind of material improvements to that design I wouldn’t consider it a suitable excuse for a bed. However, I’ve never tried to use mine as a bed nor have I put a mattress topper on it either.

Those Footrests are pretty unstable and rocky when in position. We thought they seemed kind of neat before we bought our RV, but now in the 5-yrs we’ve owed ours we’ve never used them once.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

We're ordering our Journey through one of the NIRVC locations, with a possible delivery in January.

We're going to see if they can let us know when any of their locations gets a unit delivered with a Rest Easy sofa - and will either ask for a virtual tour or possibly fly to that location to do an in person walkthrough.

Lichtsinn will also likely get one of the first (if not the first) units coming off the production line - so anyone interested in purchasing one might be able to get them to do a virtual walkthrough.
Old 08-28-2022, 05:02 PM   #6
Site Team

We love the Rest Easy sofa in our Adventurer. We use the electric recliner and for rests a lot when watching TV. We find the has very comfortable cushions and the foot rests are really practical in a small space. When I had the flu a couple years ago I slept on the sofa each night. Maybe I’m the only one, but I found it very comfortable. Note the we recline while sitting but retract after getting up from the sofa a put less strain on the motors. Also, just make sure the footstools are locked in place and they are very stable.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Does anybody know why it's taking Winnebago so long to get the Journey 34N's out?

On a video released in January, the Winnebago rep said the 34N's were in production at that time, but there could be a delay due to Onan generator availability or a hold placed on the Freightliner chassis.

That was 8 months ago - and still no production units have been released...

Surely if it was just a supply chain issue - by now they would have been able to release at least a few production units.

If it was a hold on the chassis - that's a pretty long hold...

Or did they encounter some problem when manufacturing the first units - and had to go back to the drawing board?

We'll feel more comfortable about our order when someone - somewhere - gets a production unit...
Old 09-16-2022, 03:04 PM   #8
Site Team

I’m sure they’ll have examples at the Hershey Show this weekend - of the 40’ model anyway. You see a lot more PR with folks using the 40 footer. Maybe the problem is with the shorter model???
Old 09-17-2022, 06:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Neither the 34N or 40P have been delivered yet. The 36 floor plan prototype appears to be in development still.

Messaging I've received from multiple Winnebago sources indicate the 34N will be the first to be delivered - and that they have been in "production" but not yet released for delivery.

Noone has been able to come up with a reason why no Journeys aren't being delivered yet.

Since a Winnebago rep in January (during a walkthrough of a 40P) claimed the 34Ns were already in production at that time - it really looks like Winnebago encountered a design flaw that required another engineering pass - and that they are still either refining the design/manufacturing or that they have completed testing of the latest design.

It's possible they could also be waiting for a critical component. Perhaps they're having software problems with the new Winnebago Connect (this will be the first model with that new system).

Since they've had customers originally promised for delivery last year, Winnebago should either start delivering units soon - or at least provide an explanation.

Because without an explanation for the delay, this is creating anxiety that there is something wrong with the Journeys...
Old 09-17-2022, 08:18 AM   #10
Site Team

Isn’t there a Winnebago social media effort where they gave the use of a 40’ model to an Indy Car team called Paretta Autosports?

I take that back. They announced the partnership in June or July but I see no indication online that they’ve received their Journey.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

There are several 34N and 40P prototypes that have been shown at dealerships, RV shows and YouTube videos.

Some of these prototypes are over a year old.

It doesn't appear a production version of either floor plan has been released yet.

Winnebago has posted documentation - owner's manual and wiring/plumbing diagrams on their website. But they haven't yet posted the 3D parts catalog for the Journey (they have posted the parts catalogs for their other 2022/2023 models) - which could confirm they haven't finalized the production details yet for the Journeys...
Old 09-17-2022, 07:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Isn’t there a Winnebago social media effort where they gave the use of a 40’ model to an Indy Car team called Paretta Autosports?

I take that back. They announced the partnership in June or July but I see no indication online that they’ve received their Journey.
Paretta Autosport has received at least one Journey that they've been using in their social media as part of their sponsorship I assume. I've seen it a few times on their twitter feed.
GearJerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:16 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

It's probably one of the prototypes.

Winnebago has given away or sold their prototypes before. I believe the Fit RV folks have a prototype of the Ekko - that they've been heavily modifying.

If any dealer or customer had received a production 34N or 40P - it's very likely we'd see something online - a video or at least a posting.

Lichtsinn is across the street from Winnebago - and is their highest volume dealership - and they haven't received one yet.

When a dealer does get a 34N in stock, we may drop everything and take a quick trip so we can do a physical walkthrough of the production unit - and take a much closer look than the video walkthroughs or that we could do through a Zoom call.

Especially because this is a new model - there are a lot of details about some of the systems (Xite radio, Winnebago Connect, Winegard router, ...) that could be answered more easily if we could get our hands on a production unit for an hour or two to do a more thorough walkthrough.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have had a 40P on order since January 2022. Word is March/April 2023 delivery.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

That's consistent with what we've heard - that the 34N's are first, then the 40P's - and that the 36 will come later after they've completed the prototype next year.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Any news on the new Journeys?

Instead of January, now NIRVC's Winnebago rep is saying the unit we've configured should be completed in late February.

Still - doesn't appear anyone has seen any Journeys except for the two 34N and one 40P prototype featured in YouTube videos.

Doesn't appear that any of the Journeys were at the recent shows.

Winnebago Insider had an article about a couple that was loaned a new Journey - based on their comments, it seemed they had the 40P prototype (with the double sinks in the back bathroom).

Hard to believe the delays are caused by "supply chain" - since customers have been expecting delivery since early last year.

If anyone has any new updates on the Journeys - please post...
Old 10-11-2022, 09:03 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I order parts for various jobs and I do believe there is a massive problem with the supply chain. The last thing I ordered was six small parts for an irrigation system,ordered from an irrigation supply house in Houston suburb.
The six parts dribbled in on three shipments from three different locations as different as Dallas, Houston, and Orlando! The total cost ofthe deal? Near $14 but they had shipping from three locations so likely lost their shirt on that deal!

I'm glad most of my work is now just to keep me entertained as it sure would not be good to try to give good customer service!
If I can't get irrigation parts, I would not try to build a whole RV!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 09:10 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Supply chain could explain some of the delay.

But customers with early Journey orders were initially told they would get them early in 2021.

If it was only supply chain, surely Winnebago could have told dealers and customers with orders that was the cause for the delay.

A delay approaching two years is harder to attribute to only supply chain issues...
Old 10-12-2022, 05:22 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Journey

We ordered a 40 P in January 2022 and traded our RV in. Went the year without. What amplifies our frustration is the total lack of factory communication. Why can't Winnebago just give us an honest answer? By the way, don't email Winnebago customer service and ask about Journey, you will only receive the canned response not addressing your question.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:54 AM   #20
Site Team

Looking back, the decision to move all diesel production to Oregon (except the Forza) has cost Winnebago much more than the initial $50 million or so the company first reported.

Once the new Journey starts being delivered it will be 5-years between the last Journey and the new one. And still there’s absolutely no talk of a new Tour or Grand Tour. Winnebago lost ALL premium Class A diesel pusher sales and market share for 5-yrs for what? A hairbrained scheme to move 1,500 miles away from their current home?

I hope everyone involved in that decision is gone from Winnebago already.

Tags
journey