Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-28-2023, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2021 Vista 29V Sliding Pantry Shelves?

Hello - has anyone added a sliding shelf in the pantry cabinet next to the refrigerator? I'm looking to maximize storage (aren't we all) and think that having a 14" tall shelf is a waste of space for me - especially if I'm looking to store canned goods, or boxes of rice, etc. in that space.

Appreciate any insight!
skstevens19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:12 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We felt the same way so I added fixed shelves in the pantry.It was a joint effort with my DW because she had tall Tupperware style storage containers and it has worked out very well for us.Its amazing the amount of storage it provides. Sliding shelves idea were scrubbed because the width was too narrow and I am not that good at design and installing stuff like that.
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 10:01 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the response!

Did you use shelving from Home Depot (or somewhere similar)?
skstevens19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skstevens19 View Post
Thank you for the response!

Did you use shelving from Home Depot (or somewhere similar)?
Just bought 1 large premade shelving unit ...it was painted white and that was enough to do the whole job ....I used metal shelf support material for the sides ..Thinking it was Lowes..Wife thinks I am a genius...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I did the rev a shelf upgrade - let me see if I can find the part number.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I can't recall all the details and not my original idea but this fit my 2017 29ve perfectly. I use the black microwave buckets you get often with food that's in a pouch then you put in the black container to heat it up - fit's perfectly - I know that our local Costco has refried beans and spanich rice by a manufacturer that uses them.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by skstevens19 View Post
Hello - has anyone added a sliding shelf in the pantry cabinet next to the refrigerator? I'm looking to maximize storage (aren't we all) and think that having a 14" tall shelf is a waste of space for me - especially if I'm looking to store canned goods, or boxes of rice, etc. in that space.
We've a MH similar to yours. We ordered five custom shelves for our motorhome, a 2021 Winnebago Adventurer 29B, from Shelves That Slide of Phoenix, AZ. Ordering was easy and they were shipped within 6 weeks with all materials and instructions well packed. As you can see from the attached photo, they really allow us to maximize the space and usage of the skinny pantry area in our motorhome. Due to the cramped space, they were something of a challenge to install -- took all day in fact, and had to make a trip to Home Depot to get some filler wood slats to handle the soft-close ball bearing slides. About $500 all in. But well worth it! My darling bride absolutely loves them (I'm her hero!). We consider them one of the best upgrades we could make to our motorhome.

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/...s/Shelves2.jpg
Old 02-02-2023, 02:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

I can't recall all the details and not my original idea but this fit my 2017 29ve perfectly. I use the black microwave buckets you get often with food that's in a pouch then you put in the black container to heat it up - fit's perfectly - I know that our local Costco has refried beans and spanich rice by a manufacturer that uses them.
Could you please post a couple of pictures of what you did?
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Some pics - basically, you have to remove the door, attach the slides/shelves, then reattach the door - took an hour if I recall. I only did the top; the bottom I use for items that wouldn't fit on the shelves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SlidingShelves2 (2).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	185116   Click image for larger version

Name:	SlidingShelves3 (2).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	185117  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SlidingShelves1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	185118  
Old 02-03-2023, 11:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I use the "black" pans to keep things from moving too much. And one time, something leaked, so it contained the spill (win/win). The only tricky part was getting it to stay closed - if fully loaded, it would open on turns, so I have a few magnets holding it closed. From time to time, my pots and pans under the stove opens (we block that with a trash can now), and silverware will open (rarer). It makes for an exciting drive when things behind you start opening!
Old 02-03-2023, 12:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you JLUSoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
I use the "black" pans to keep things from moving too much. And one time, something leaked, so it contained the spill (win/win). The only tricky part was getting it to stay closed - if fully loaded, it would open on turns, so I have a few magnets holding it closed. From time to time, my pots and pans under the stove opens (we block that with a trash can now), and silverware will open (rarer). It makes for an exciting drive when things behind you start opening!
I am assuming the link you gave with size 6.5 is correct and you need two.

FYI I also had drawer problems with catches breaking etc. going down the ALCAN in BC and Alaska. I bought some Velcro tape to secure the problematic drawers.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Safe Travels!
Old 02-03-2023, 12:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

One will do "each" of the cabinets - ALCAN - on my bucket list.

I elected to leave the bottom one alone - we put our Keurig under there and not much more - can't fit that if I added sliding shelves. Lowes might be a bit cheaper if it matters - you can look at the product number - but yes 6.5" fits very well.

This link shows some better pictures too - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rev-A-Shelf...ple/5005581111
Old 02-19-2023, 02:03 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

JLuSoCal, Finally got around to purchasing the selves and found a pair moment to install. Two Questions: 1. Your pictures indicate you installed the door onto the new shelf. Correct? 2. It also looks like you installed door catches at the top of the door. Correct?
Thanks,
Old 02-19-2023, 03:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Yes to both - I put the latches and an extra "magnetic latch" at the top to ensure it didn't open while driving.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:14 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the quick reply.

Also, we attached our Keurig with Velcro on the shelf behind the dinette.

We loved our trip to Alaska watch for our two posts on our trip which should be up this week.

Live Long and Prosper,
Noah
Old 02-26-2023, 06:29 AM   #16
2017 Vista 29ve

This is great, but as you still have the absorption fridge, you need to take care what you put in the back next to the fridge side as that area tends to get quite hot (when the fridge is operating). We have had things like marshmellows melt into a glob back there, so until I recently changed the fridge to a compressor, we didn't store much food there. But this looks great!. By the way, do you know the weight of the slides/mods/etc is? Just curious.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Good knowledge about the Vista 29vE pantry heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvetteSS View Post
This is great, but as you still have the absorption fridge, you need to take care what you put in the back next to the fridge side as that area tends to get quite hot (when the fridge is operating). We have had things like marshmellows melt into a glob back there, so until I recently changed the fridge to a compressor, we didn't store much food there. But this looks great!. By the way, do you know the weight of the slides/mods/etc is? Just curious.

I thought about changing the refrigerator to a compressor version but that is expensive when absorption one works fine. We only store dry goods in the pantry next to the refrigerator.

Weight: I don't know the weights but here is what we did. I removed: the bed over the driver/passenger (-80 pounds,) all 4 hub caps (-60 pounds,) and lead acid batteries for lithium (-30 pounds.) Unless boondocking we try to travel with empty grey and black and 1/2 fresh water or less. The gasoline we try to keep between 1/2 and full. LP we try to keep between 1/2 and full. We are usually 400 to 600 pounds overweight (18,400.) Adults and dog 350 pounds. Kayak 100 pounds. The heaviest of the addons is the Trailhawk tow bar for our jeep. It must be in the 70-pound range. I estimate that all the other things we added are less than what we took out.