Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2022, 06:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2020 Adventurer 29B

When driving I have a terrible squeak/rattle coming from the entry door and another from the overhead bed. Can anybody tell me how to fix this.

Ken
Kobra01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A strip of gorilla tape around the door latch post will cure the door. On the loft bed you likely have a loose bracket(s) that anchor the bed mechanism to the wall. Check and tighten as needed. I found it helpful to loosen both sides to get the bed to "settle" into a non-binding position before re-tightening.
IOS 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If you have a passenger who can hear where the noises while you are driving this can help. I found that the screen door rattled against the outer door and was able to take up the slack and stop the rattle with some felt disks on the outer door side of the screen door.

I have also found that slideouts would be a noise source when driving, that the brakes in the Lippert slideout motors would slip slightly as the coach hit bumps and lumps on the road and the slideout would not remain tight against the sidewall, and once not real tight the noise would start. I made slide lock blocks out of 2x4 material to stop this from happening in the slideout that the noise was coming from. You have to have a fool proof system to remember to remove the blocks before trying to open the slide, though!

I also had the issue where the outer door would squeak while driving down the road from the door latch moving around on the pin it latches on to. I wrap a turn and a half of black electrical tape around the pin to stop this. I have to replace the black tape on the pin pretty much every time before I drive the coach as it gets quickly torn up as the door is opened and shut. But it's worth to not have to hear the squeak squeak as I'm driving down the road.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobra01 View Post
When driving I have a terrible squeak/rattle coming from the entry door and another from the overhead bed. Can anybody tell me how to fix this.

Ken
Is it from the overhead bed or the front window roll down screen. Ours was loose, and once I tightened it up, the horrible squeak went away.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Ken
I have a 2021 Adventurer 29b, purchased new in June 2021. The coach came with 654 miles on it, factory to dealer. I also have the same exact door squeak. It wasn’t there until we personally put about 500miles on the coach.We believe it is because the door is tight on the frame on the bottom and loose on the top. Not exactly straight and tight if that makes sense. So to say there is a slight gap up on the top right that rubs and this is Definitely the source of the squeak..
We have adjusted the screen door latch which didn’t do anything. My wife puts a folded paper towel in the top right corner once we close the door. It Sucks I know.

I do know we also need to get the main door adjusted as it doesn’t close so easy anymore. This might help…yet the main door gap is at the bottom. I have never done a main door screw adjustment and don’t want to mess with it while we are traveling. I have stopped at several RV dealers but they are weeks out to busy.

As other posters have stated electrical tape on the main bolt can help a loose door. Though this doesn’t seem to be your issue either. I did that on the 2017 sun star, it works great!

We have also adjusted or tightened our overhead bed screws 4x They just rattle loose sometimes. The first time the whole left side screw bolt and washer fell apart, easy tighten and fix. That was at around….August and probably 2,500 miles or less on the new coach. We have now been on the road full time traveling since July….10 months…and….11,500 miles now. We also left home for only a 2 month trip…..10 months later still traveling. Home Sometime in…..??hahahaha

We do not have any other squeaky squeaks coming from inside the coach. I have put the bed down and slide out around 300 times so far, give or take. The slide hasn’t squeaked what so ever as of yet. And they have both been working flawlessly. Knock on wood. (Our 11yr old uses that bed)

Get up on your roof and check the bathroom skylight caulking for gaps as well as the rear corner cover pieces for slight gaps as well. I had severe leaking in the skylight that caused the inverter to totally burnout and fail permanently. Quality control issues at the plant.

Hope this helps in some shape or form, safe travels and keep on, Keeping on!
Cake sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 01:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried most of these fixes but still have not fixed it. Any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks, Ken
Kobra01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried most of these fixes but still have not fixed it. Any other suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks, Ken
Basic, but not so basic. I haven’t done it yet but like I said….I know it needs to be done on mine, Ya gotta adjust the door camber. The small screws that surround the door. There’s a bunch of videos If ya google it. I’m traveling and to chicken **** to do it while rolling. Hence why we put a folded paper towel in the screen jam and another poster puts felt plugs
Cake sniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #8
Site Team

We grease the latch pin on the door frame (which precludes putting tape there ever again) and travel with the door and deadbolt locked. That’s the only thing that’s worked for us.

My wife doesn’t drive the RV. Never has in 20-years, and “what squeak” is her response when you ask her to check where a noise is coming from. So, it’s up to me to drive and locate noises. It takes time but I’ve had some success. As you can see from these answers we all have squeaks and we all solve them our own way via trial and error.
Old 04-03-2022, 02:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:

Ken
Hey, same problem on used 2019 29ve Sunstar. Safety belt was attached when lowering bed. I lowered the bed and found overlapped strap on left side take up roller, lowered the bed and marked powered strap with a Sharpie at the clamps on both sides. I loosened the belt on the right side and counted the wraps, loosened left clamp fixed overlapped belt and did same# wraps.(you need a helper for this). Tightened clamps at sharpie marks. Lubed tracks/rollers with wd40. Squeak is gone. Use a white candle on door squeaks.
215spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Mine was like a bird chirping from the entry door..after spraying with silicone I discovered the rubber bumpers between the inner and outer door was the culprit...
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

My Vista 29VE squeaked at the door. Door was rubbing on the frame on the strike side. I tried tape but it just wore thur it. Picked up an auto door protector at local auto store, installed on the door edge. Problem solved. Bunk has had no problem.
Ken Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, vent