Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2022, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2019 Winnebago Vista 31BE - Super Slide Out

Hoping someone has some experience with this massive slide out. The slide out works, but struggles to complete, actually surprised that it makes it out and in without stopping. I do notice that the front is not flush like the back of the slide out is when you look at it closed from the outside. The front is out approx 1" where the back is not which makes me wonder if it is miss-aligned which makes it struggle or if this is normal, to see the slide work so hard.

How does someone fix a miss-alignment???

I am the 2nd owner of this RV, the initial owner did say, that one motor was replaced under warranty. (Is there only 2 motors?)

Thank you
coves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Since you mention two motors, you may have failed to fully extend the slide and hold the switch for a bit after it seems fully out, this is how many slides get the two motors back in sync as they are designed with some slack to allow for the difference in how motors perform.
Try running the slide all the way one way and hold for a few seconds past when it stops, then run it all the way the other way and do the same with the switch to see if that gets the motors back in sync.

NOTE:
I did not check what form of slide you have and going by your thoughts that you have the two motors! And this may not be the total problem but it is a place to start?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Since you mention two motors, you may have failed to fully extend the slide and hold the switch for a bit after it seems fully out, this is how many slides get the two motors back in sync as they are designed with some slack to allow for the difference in how motors perform.
Try running the slide all the way one way and hold for a few seconds past when it stops, then run it all the way the other way and do the same with the switch to see if that gets the motors back in sync.

NOTE:
I did not check what form of slide you have and going by your thoughts that you have the two motors! And this may not be the total problem but it is a place to start?
Great, thanks Richard, I'll try that, was concerned about pushing those motors (still assuming more than 1) any harder. Need to find a manual which details the slide out.

Just bought the RV this past winter and already completed a 6,000 mile trip through the west... amazing.

Thank you
Bill
Old 06-07-2022, 07:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, it can sound a bit wierd to recomend wrking a motor harder if itis straining, but the idea is that they have heads on the motors which have what I call "slack" as the end is not totally hard connected but as one side gets fully in, the other side may be a bit behind and still moving. Misaligned? Due to each motor and each side will work a little more effectively than the other, they let one stop while the other head continues to move the slide on that side.
The motors are okay with that as the heat they build during that "catchup" is not great and there are fuses to protect them if we do get something like a stuck switch, etc.

But that is just something I've picked up as good practice in reading about lots of slide trouble and that certainly DOES NOT make it the only thing that could be going on.
But it is one thing that may help,so good luck on trying a cheap and easy quick start?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 10:19 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Yes, it can sound a bit wierd to recomend wrking a motor harder if itis straining, but the idea is that they have heads on the motors which have what I call "slack" as the end is not totally hard connected but as one side gets fully in, the other side may be a bit behind and still moving. Misaligned? Due to each motor and each side will work a little more effectively than the other, they let one stop while the other head continues to move the slide on that side.
The motors are okay with that as the heat they build during that "catchup" is not great and there are fuses to protect them if we do get something like a stuck switch, etc.

But that is just something I've picked up as good practice in reading about lots of slide trouble and that certainly DOES NOT make it the only thing that could be going on.
But it is one thing that may help,so good luck on trying a cheap and easy quick start?
Tried the simple fix of driving the slide out by holding the button past the extend position with no real improvement as an update. Will need to learn more about the mechanics of the slide out for next steps.

Cheers
Bill
Old 06-12-2022, 06:54 PM   #6
LCJ
Winnebago Camper

Bill,

Just to second the advice on letting the motors run for a few moments after the slide is extended or retracted. We have a 2019 31BE also. When we picked it up from the dealer after buying, they stressed this point a few times.

LJ
LCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 03:52 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Most manufactures offer information on problem solving these types of issues on their web sites. Specifically, Schwintek/LCI has a good web site. They also have information on the regular maintenance required to keep it in working order.

If you have the LCI "In wall system" I believe they recommend putting the slide out all the way and hold the switch, as mentioned, but then bring it in a little, and then back out (hold the switch again) and repeat several times. Hopefully it will be correcting it incrementally.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:36 AM   #8
Site Team

I not only hold the switch at the end, but also when I do release it I wait a second and push the extend switch again and hold it. The slide motors will activate briefly and stop. But I continue to hold the switch and listen for a click from the motors. Sometimes the motors will click out of sync so I repeat this process until they stop reacting to a button push - which can be 3 or 4 times - and both motors click in unison.

I saw a video from LCI that highlights that “motor click in unison” process.

My two PowerGear slides are the slides this works for. I also have one under floor or “through frame” sofa slide that doesn’t have dual motors in the walls and it doesn’t react the same way. So, I don’t do this with that slide.

Tags
slide, slide out, winnebago