Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-14-2021, 03:41 PM   #1
2019 Vista LX 30T

2019 VISTA LX - false "JACKS downs" lights and alarms

Hi,
On my new-to-me 2019 Vista LX 30T, several times now I get a false "jacks down" warning light and sounds when driving at highway speed and the road gets bumpy. Once the road smooths out, the alarms and lights extinguish after 15 seconds or so. Seems like a loose wire somewhere. Does anyone have and ideas on how to fix this? the hydraulic level is not low.
Thanks,
Mike

ps does an autosignature happen automatically when i post this new thread?
mff3429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
Site Team

This is simple: You need to add ATF fluid to your hydraulic reservoir. There is no real "full" line but it needs to be very full near the top.

See, there is a float inside. You have low fluid and you hit a bump the float goes up and down and this tells the system your jacks are down.

Why?

Because when you put the jacks down fluid flows from your reservoir into your jack pistons. The float sees this and knows your jacks must be down.

So, the same thing happens when it's on the edge of being too low.

A little fluid is probably leaking out of the seals each time you operate the jacks and over time the fluid in the reservoir goes down just a little. After a while it's Beep Beep Beep each time you turn a corner or hit a bump.

I keept gloves, a funnel and a quart of ATF fluid in my forward driver's side compartment just to take care of this issue on the road.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mff3429 View Post
ps does an autosignature happen automatically when i post this new thread?
Yes, if you're created a Signature and saved it to your Profile.

I checked your profile and it's all good. Let me know if it doesn't start showing up by tomorrow.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:31 PM   #4
2019 Vista LX 30T

Well, thanks for the info. I will top off the reservior and see what happens (next spring probably). Your explanation makes sense and now i understand the system a little bit more.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Just remember to only add fluid when the jacks are retracted. Otherwise, it gets really messy! :-)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #6
2019 Vista LX 30T

follow-up question

just for grins, attached is a photo of the tank. it looked pretty full, but i guess fluid could be added.

But the next question is how to fill the tank. the black cap on the left just spins when turned. I squeezed the sides some with the pliers, but there seems to be no grip on threads underneath. nor if i push down and turn does there seem to be any grip. the black nut on the right seems to just hold the internal sensor up tight to the top of the tanks and doen not seem to be the place to fill the reservoir. The manual shows no pictures or guidance.

so, can anyone share how to open the tank? I'm missing something and do not want to break anything with wrong technique.

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6613.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	181110  
Old 10-17-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

It's not low fluid. Mine has done it since I owned it. My fluid levels are proper.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
Site Team

That photo shows low fluid levels. Fill it to just under the curve at the top. On my RV it would need an inch or more additional fluid to stop the alarm.

The fill is that black cap on top. The one with the wires is the float. If you disconnect the wires from the float it will also stop the alarm but you won't know if the jacks are up or not.

The black knob will spin, but not unscrew. It pulls off. Mine takes pliers to wrench it off. And sometimes it leaves half of the cap behind. It's a two piece cap. The bottom half grips the inside of the hole and the top half is the black part showing.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhedges View Post
It's not low fluid. Mine has done it since I owned it. My fluid levels are proper.
There is no "full" level mark on the container. And in that photo that container is about 1" too low.

Honest, pull the black knob out. Put in a funnel and pour in Mercon V/Dexron III ATF fluid and the alarm sound when cornering and bouncing on a rough road will go away.

This is what I use:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/VAL798153
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 5.34.52 PM.png
Views:	47
Size:	543.3 KB
ID:	181111  
Old 10-17-2021, 06:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Page 10-5 of the manual may be some help?

The hydraulic pump/reservoir is located
behind the driver side front tire. In certain
models, an access panel must be removed to
access the pump/reservoir.
NOTE: Leveling jacks must be in the retracted
(UP) position to get an accurate oil level.
The hydraulic oil level is checked visually by
inspecting the hydraulic oil reservoir. Always
keep the hydraulic oil level full (to the lip of the
breather cap).
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

The first thing I would do is make sure the jacks are NOT coming down on there own, as that would mean a seal has gone bad ( on lippert jacks) After coach sits for more then a couple day jacks should still be snug up.
Peter NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

The fluid level is definitely low. I have already been through this. The black plug will pull out, and then fill with regular ATF fluid, be careful to not get other additives in it. Fill to the neck of the reservoir. It's in my owners manual.
Jdhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Well, not sure about low fluid but heat from the engine can expand the fluid and force a jack or two to extend a little. Mine does that on occasion. Turn the system on, hit the store button.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Same alarm issue with our Journey 34y for four yrs! I have eventually worked my way up to filling it to within an inch of the top of the reservoir… alarm still goes off! After a season of use… level STILL 1” from top… No Leak. Never a puddle of fluid under any the the levelers/ never found even a drip on any of them. I’ve taken EVERY connector off/ cleaned/ put back together all around the tank area. No change on bumpy road. Like all of you I check the that the levelers are fully up EVERYTIME before starting off. Very frustrating! I almost installed a line/ switch up by passenger seat area to disconnect the float switch… but with the passenger ‘step area platform’ and no immediate path for wire without drilling… it was a bigger job than I wanted to do with any time pressure. Plus, I’m sure it would be forgotten to turn back on and really really don’t want to defeat an obvious important safety alarm. But the alarm going off IS VERY DISTRACTING when in heavy traffic/ construction zones where full attention on the road is needed.
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:47 AM   #15
LCJ
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mff3429 View Post
just for grins, attached is a photo of the tank. it looked pretty full, but i guess fluid could be added.

But the next question is how to fill the tank. the black cap on the left just spins when turned. I squeezed the sides some with the pliers, but there seems to be no grip on threads underneath. nor if i push down and turn does there seem to be any grip. the black nut on the right seems to just hold the internal sensor up tight to the top of the tanks and doen not seem to be the place to fill the reservoir. The manual shows no pictures or guidance.

so, can anyone share how to open the tank? I'm missing something and do not want to break anything with wrong technique.

Thanks,
Mike

I had the same problem over the weekend with the same model motor home and my reservoir was filled to about the same place as your unit. I topped off the tank and I no longer receive the false jacks down alarm.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioflyer View Post
Same alarm issue with our Journey 34y for four yrs! I have eventually worked my way up to filling it to within an inch of the top of the reservoir… alarm still goes off! After a season of use… level STILL 1” from top… No Leak. Never a puddle of fluid under any the the levelers/ never found even a drip on any of them. I’ve taken EVERY connector off/ cleaned/ put back together all around the tank area. No change on bumpy road. Like all of you I check the that the levelers are fully up EVERYTIME before starting off. Very frustrating! I almost installed a line/ switch up by passenger seat area to disconnect the float switch… but with the passenger ‘step area platform’ and no immediate path for wire without drilling… it was a bigger job than I wanted to do with any time pressure. Plus, I’m sure it would be forgotten to turn back on and really really don’t want to defeat an obvious important safety alarm. But the alarm going off IS VERY DISTRACTING when in heavy traffic/ construction zones where full attention on the road is needed.
Well, this sounds like you have done everything EXCEPT what the manual advises!

If your manual is the same as OP, it does not say one inch down, it says fuill to the lip!

There are times when the obvious answer is the correct answer!

So the big question might be WHY have you not done what the manual says!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dipstick.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	181146  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:18 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Hi, mine is a 2013 Vista and I have been experiencing the same problem since new. Low fluid is not always the problem.
I have noticed that one of the jacks lowers by itself of an inch or so, every now and then.
I read in one of the treads related to this problem that some foaming may build up while retracting and cause one the hydraulic circuit to open the overpressure valve... something like that, before all the pistons are fully retracted.
Anyhow, I get rid of that alarm by activating the jacks down and retracting again. Randomly, I may have to repeat that procedure twice.

Also, it is recommended to clean the pistons with WD40, wipe it then lubricate with silicone (Jig-O-Loo).

It works for me_
Old 10-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Well, not sure about low fluid but heat from the engine can expand the fluid and force a jack or two to extend a little. Mine does that on occasion. Turn the system on, hit the store button.
Well explained

Tags
jacks, light, lights