Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2019 Sunstar TV wiring

I have a 2019 Winnie Sunstar. I am trying to work out how to watch satellite on all the TVs as advertised during the sales process. The only wiring is coax - all satellite receivers use HDMI or AV output these days. The switch box does not route AV or HDMI. After spending a large sum on the rig I would expect it be wired for HDMI. As it is, the only thing I can watch on the bedroom and outdoor TVs are antenna channels. I can watch sat on the main TV, but only if I dangle the sat cable through the dinette window, mount the receiver above the table and use the one and only HDMI socket in the coach. This is not acceptable as the window gap lets the cold air in and it is pain in the neck to have to do this every time I set up.

I have tried an RF modulator but the picture quality was terrible - unwatchable.

I also tried an expensive professional HDMI to coax modulator, but that was a non-starter because it had a fan inside that was louder than the heater!

The dealer has not come up with a solution as of today, basically saying yes, that's the way it is....

I am very disappointed that Winnebago have not kept up with current TV/entertainment technology on their Motorhomes.

Has anybody else run into this? If so did you resolve it? If so how?

Cheers, Keith
keithpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2019 27pe and have been fighting the same issue since August. I called Winnebago and they don’t have a good solution either. Right now I have a WiFi HDMI modulator but it only supports 1 tv. I did the rf modulator too with a lousy picture. The HDMI plug by the TV IS basically for a DVD. I HAD A Carryout + 3 installed that supports 2 tv’s. The only option I have found (which I have not done)is to run a second cable to the bedroom and down the wall and mount a second receiver and use the WiFi modulator in the front room and nothing for the outside tv. It’s amazing that there are no HDMI outlets through out the coach. If you happen to find a solution I would love to hear it. Good Luck
jeepster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. I have not tried a Wifi HDMI modulator - how does that work? Can you send me a link to the one you bought? I am thinking of having the dealer install HDMI cables to all the TVs, but don't know if that is feasible, I don't want them ripping the panels off the walls etc.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

https://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transm...jgL&ref=plSrch

This is what I am using. The dongle plugs into the receiver and the small base station plugs into the USB port on the tv and electric plug. It transmits the signal to one tv. My dealer said to run HDMI plugs they would have to drill through the roof and drop cables and mount the plugs on the walls. Can’t drop on the inside walls because of insulation. Unbelievable Huh?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Not a great solution but you could purchase a older Satellite receiver that has a coax output. For Dish the VIP 211 and VIP 711 would be options for this. Dish still works with those receivers. Or did when I had a 211.

I’m surprised WBGO has slipped backwards on this. They’ve been running HDMI to TVs in coaches for years. My 2017 has HDMI to every TV and a HDMI to Cat5 swithcher to control it all.

There are lots of wireless HDMI solutions as pointed out above.

Jeepster05, be aware that even though the Carryout G3 dish supports two receivers that there is a major issue with that option. The first receiver is a master and the second receiver can only watch programming on the same Satellite as the master. So if the master is watching a program on Satellite 110 the second receiver can only view different programming if it is on Satellite 110. This is a major weakness that many people miss when they buy a small dome SAT dish.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have used a Brightlink New HDMI Extender Set Over Cat5e/6 Cable Full HD 1080p@60Hz Uncompressed Signal Upto 50m/165ft Away (50m) to extend a HDMI output to a distant TV and it works great. Combine with a HDMI A-B switch to choose between two TVs. I use it at my house to extend my Dish Hopper 3 over a 50 foot Cat 6 data communications cable run.

My 2015 Vista 27N had a HDMI cable pre-installed from the main TV to the cabinet intended for entertainment equipment, and a RGB Component Cable from there to the outside TV. Perfect for the Hopper 3 which has simultaneous RGB component and HDMI outputs.

I also added an amplified Component Cable 1 -> 2 splitter near the outside TV and ran a Component Cable from there to the bedroom TV so I can watch the Sat on the bedroom TV, too.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Not a great solution but you could purchase a older Satellite receiver that has a coax output. For Dish the VIP 211 and VIP 711 would be options for this. Dish still works with those receivers. Or did when I had a 211.

I’m surprised WBGO has slipped backwards on this. They’ve been running HDMI to TVs in coaches for years. My 2017 has HDMI to every TV and a HDMI to Cat5 swithcher to control it all.

There are lots of wireless HDMI solutions as pointed out above.

Jeepster05, be aware that even though the Carryout G3 dish supports two receivers that there is a major issue with that option. The first receiver is a master and the second receiver can only watch programming on the same Satellite as the master. So if the master is watching a program on Satellite 110 the second receiver can only view different programming if it is on Satellite 110. This is a major weakness that many people miss when they buy a small dome SAT dish.

I was aware of the Carryout restrictions but I didn’t want to drill a hole in the roof, run the coax on the outside of the wall, and mount a shelf on the wall for the receiver to sit on so if I’m not hooked up to cable tv I just watch over the air channels. All because Winnebago couldn’t run hdmi outlets. The only reason I would want a second outlet is so we could watch satellite when we go to bed. I have a tailgater and receiver From my old coach I could use for the other tv’s but still have the issue of hdmi.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I am going to push this with WBGO, but in the meantime I will go with the HDMI/Wifi solution for now - that will at least allow me to hook up the sat to the main TV. By the way, there is a sat coax connector in the water bay on my 2019 unit that is connected to the TV distribution cupboard, so no need to run COAX to the other side of the rig. The problem is there are no HDMI or AV cables running to that locker to connect the TVs. I can't even hook up a DVD or Roku in that cupboard.
Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithpollard View Post
I am going to push this with WBGO, but in the meantime I will go with the HDMI/Wifi solution for now - that will at least allow me to hook up the sat to the main TV. By the way, there is a sat coax connector in the water bay on my 2019 unit that is connected to the TV distribution cupboard, so no need to run COAX to the other side of the rig. The problem is there are no HDMI or AV cables running to that locker to connect the TVs. I can't even hook up a DVD or Roku in that cupboard.
Thanks for the responses.
Not sure which entertainment center you have. I have a Magnadyne VCS-10. It has an AV connection in the back for the DVD that will let you watch DVD’s on all TVs but not in HD. I hook the AV cables to the back of the dvd to the one in back of the entertainment center.
The coax connection in the bay is for a portable satellite. That only gets it to the entertainment center. Still no HDMI outlet. Good luck. Big issue with me too.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

There are also HDMI over coax adapters that you might be able to use with the existing wiring...
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have the same switch box - Magnadyne VCS-10. I have tried plugging in multiple devices using the AV input to the box (DVD, Roku, Dish VIP 211z and none of them worked on any of the TVs. I'm thinking now that the Magnadyne AV switch circuit is likely not working - i'll have the dealer replace it.

I did try an HDMI over coax, but the fan noise was too loud - I didn't even try installing it.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The magnadyne has excellent support by calling them. I called them because my dvd wouldn’t work and usually your tv has to be on channel 3 but we got mine to work by putting it on channel 4
Old 02-13-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster05 View Post
The magnadyne has excellent support by calling them. I called them because my dvd wouldn’t work and usually your tv has to be on channel 3 but we got mine to work by putting it on channel 4
I apologize. I have said I am using AV. I am using the rca cables for my dvd.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I figure AV and RCA are the same cable. Red yellow and white. I did manage to get the DVD working on the AV cable, but the picture to the main TV is terrible. The other 2 TVs get a reasonable non HD picture.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

I am very disappointed that Winnebago have not kept up with current TV/entertainment technology on their Motorhomes.
Keith - Not that this info helps you at all, but it may help others looking for a coach. I recently purchased a 2019 Sunstar 29VE that was manufactured in 12/18. My RV does have HDMI cables running from the "satellite receiver location" (in the drop down drawer above the entry door) to all of the TV's. There is a single HDMI cable (meant for satellite receiver or other HDMI device) that provides input to a 4 way HDMI splitter and three outputs from that splitter that have HDMI cables attached. Interestingly, one of the HDMI output cables routes to another small box - an "HDMI Extender by Cat5e/6 x1" that looks to convert the HDMI signal into a Cat 6 network cable - but the output cable from that is not plugged into anything, so I don't really know what that does (or is supposed to do). I have confirmed that the HDMI signal put to the HDMI splitter does get to all three TVs on an HDMI cable. Given that one of the three HDMI outputs from the splitter doesn't go anywhere, then there must be another splitter to provide HDMI signal to all three TVs given that only 2 of the HDMI cables from the splitter set to go anywhere.

There was also a few other subtle changes in my "late 2019" build 29VE. There are now USB outlets along with the 110V outlet in both bedside cubby holes. The sunshade next to the driver and passenger seats is now solid and the curtain for night time is no longer there. Any mysteriously, the "ice chest" from the outside kitchen is no longer there.
TMac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #16
Site Team

TMacC99, your system sounds like mine. If it is, those are not HDMI cables running to each TV, but Cat5 cables. The HDMI Matrix converts HDMI from sources to Ethernet and then at each TV there is a small receiver that converts it back to HDMI. Then the are short HDMI cables from the small receivers to each TV.

So you plug in Satellite boxes, Roku-type streamers, Blu-ray players etc, into the Matrix box via HDMI - it’s converted to Ethernet and sent to each TV over Cat 5 cables where it is converted back to HDMI at the small receivers - and then connected to each TV via HDMI cables.

My coach even has one extra unused Ethernet cable (3-total per TV, 2-used) running between the Matrix and each small receiver. I guess it’s there in case one of the Cat 5 cables has a problem. I guess it’s there because you would not be able to replace a cable if one went bad.

It’s even a two way system to convert IR remotes at the TVs operate sources back at Matrix location. That’s what there are small LED stick on repeaters attached to the main HDMI inputs in your tech cabinet.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Yes in our Vista. We had everything set up to do satellite but found out there was no HDMI cable to the TV . We tried to get one installed after market but it would have cost about a thousand dollars as they would have take everything out. We too were very disappointed
Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2017 vista 29ve
I added an HDMI splitter and ran HDMI cables to all three TVs. It takes a 15, 25 ,and 50 foot HDMI cableI then brought in a separate coax for input down the passenger seat belt c channel and terminated in a metal outdoor box in the front wheel well. That is where I then hook up my coax to the dish. I have a dish Wally receiver and winegard pathway X2 dish. All works great. The Wally only has hdmi out which is perfect. The OTA and cable inputs remain the same and in new satellite input remains independent. No shuffling cables. The Wally has a RF remote so it works thru the walls while in bedroom or outside. All TVs have same picture. A little trick running the wires but just a little hole enlargement in the cabinet to get the cables out and one hole in the c channel to get to coax out. You can do it. Enjoy everyday or you wasted one
Westy67
Westy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #19
Happy Camper

Quote:
I have a 2019 Winnie Sunstar. I am trying to work out how to watch satellite on all the TVs as advertised during the sales process. The only wiring is coax - all satellite receivers use HDMI or AV output these days. The switch box does not route AV or HDMI. After spending a large sum on the rig I would expect it be wired for HDMI. As it is, the only thing I can watch on the bedroom and outdoor TVs are antenna channels. I can watch sat on the main TV, but only if I dangle the sat cable through the dinette window, mount the receiver above the table and use the one and only HDMI socket in the coach. This is not acceptable as the window gap lets the cold air in and it is pain in the neck to have to do this every time I set up.

I have tried an RF modulator but the picture quality was terrible - unwatchable.

I also tried an expensive professional HDMI to coax modulator, but that was a non-starter because it had a fan inside that was louder than the heater!

The dealer has not come up with a solution as of today, basically saying yes, that's the way it is....

Has anybody else run into this? If so did you resolve it? If so how?

Cheers, Keith
Hello Keith, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with you TV cables. I own a 2015 Sunova 35G that came with two Cat 5 cables that are feed through 4 HDMI adapters that feed the front TV set for the sat receiver and DVR in the front compartments over the driver and passenger seats. As for the rear bedroom TV set I have a coaxial cable going from the front AV switching panel to that bedroom TV. I installed a sat receiver at the Bedroom TV and I get all the channels the front TV gets using the Coaxial cable. I also installed a new coaxial cable from the tank drain bay where the "Cable" and "Sat" connections are to the Bedroom TV so when I'm camping and using my manual eastern or western Dish sat I can connect both the front and bedroom TV to the external Sat and watch any channels with no restrictions. One word of warning, my front TV didn't work when I purchased the RV used so with a little tracing I found the Cat5 to HDMI adapters were bad in the front bay were they connect to the Sat receiver and DVR are located. The manufacturer of the adapters told me that they tend to burn out if not in a ventilated area, I now leave the cabinet doors open when parked to get some ventilation with no problems in two years.
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy67 View Post
I have a 2017 vista 29ve
I added an HDMI splitter and ran HDMI cables to all three TVs. It takes a 15, 25 ,and 50 foot HDMI cableI then brought in a separate coax for input down the passenger seat belt c channel and terminated in a metal outdoor box in the front wheel well. That is where I then hook up my coax to the dish. I have a dish Wally receiver and winegard pathway X2 dish. All works great. The Wally only has hdmi out which is perfect. The OTA and cable inputs remain the same and in new satellite input remains independent. No shuffling cables. The Wally has a RF remote so it works thru the walls while in bedroom or outside. All TVs have same picture. A little trick running the wires but just a little hole enlargement in the cabinet to get the cables out and one hole in the c channel to get to coax out. You can do it. Enjoy everyday or you wasted one
Westy67

Hi Westy. I have a roof mounted satellite and a Wally in the entertainment center with no hdmi connections. I understand how you ran the coax cable to the front bay but I don’t understand how you routed the HDMI cables from the Wally to the tv’s. The only way I see to get the hdmi cables to the TVs is to drill a hole in the roof and drop them down the interior walls. Thanks for any input

Tags
wiring