Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-11-2021, 05:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2017 29VE - replacing house batteries with golf cart type

My 2017 29VE Sunstar has the original group 24-size house batteries. When the time comes I would like to replace them with 2- golf cart batteries.

Question: Has anybody actually done this on this model (Sunstar/Vista 29VE) RV?

Measuring the space in the battery tray it appears that the golf cart batteries will fit although I may have to come up with a different hold-down bracket. The golf cart batteries are taller by a couple of inches but it looks like there is enough clearance.

I'm asking if anyone has actually done this swap before because I would like to know if it's possible *before* I go buy the new batteries.
bobby5832708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
BigDawwg...

Wink Replacing House Batteries.....

Ok, well looking at your current set-up/build, it might be doable, with the right Shoe-Horn,,,,,, ie.... a tight fit at best, and you'll probably have to move some Fuse Holders as well,,,,,
So, currently you've got 2-GP24 12V Batteries wired in Parallel, as per the attached Drawings, and what type of Batteries are we talking about, Sealed LA, or AGM, and what is the AMP-HR Rating for 20hrs,,,,, ?

Now, the only Golf-Cart Style Battery that might fit, would be a 6V FLA Battery, which would have to be wired in Series, so as to produce 12V,,,,,, it's possible with that set-up you would likely have more AMP-Hrs available, than what you currently have now, but the drawbacks are, maintenance, ie... adding "ONLY" Distilled Water, and if you loose 1-One Battery in this configuration, your Done, No 12V Coach Power available,,,,, where in your current configuration, if you lost 1-One 12V Battery, you've still got some 12V power available, granted on a reduced scale, but still available....
Ok,,,,, Balls in your Court....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-11 123035.png
Views:	72
Size:	491.6 KB
ID:	181291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-11 123249.png
Views:	78
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	181292  

Old 11-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Look at the following link to Trojan's battery specifications: https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TR...dSpecGuide.pdf

The GC2, T-105 battery near the top is Trojan's golf cart battery. Then look at the 12V batteries at the bottom of the chart. The first few under the 12V category are G24 batteries. The GC battery is shorter, a little wider and as you note about 2" taller.

So if there is room above the existing G24 batteries and a little extra width, then the GCs will probably fit.

David
Old 11-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

2 should be no problem. Many have put 4 in, with similar under the step setups.

This thread may help.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my group 24 batteries with 2 GC2 6v golf cart batteries on my 32YE. The big change that was required (in addition to different wiring) was extending the strap height. Kind of a pain because I could not find rods that were long enough.I ended up buying plain threaded rods, cutting to size and placing a nut between the new rods and the old to lengthen them.

I have since replaced the golf cart batteries with 2 12v group 31 AGMs. Yes they just barely fit.

Even though my Vista model is different, the steps in Vistas are all the same so the battery compartments are all the same.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I would be using 2- GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries from Sams Club or Costco. I've looked at the published battery dimensions and measured the Winnie's battery tray and, like Montanwyo said, " it might be doable, with the right Shoe-Horn". That's why I asked if anybody has actually put 2 golf cart batteries in this particular chassis/battery tray.

When the time comes, I *could* just buy the golf cart batteries and then see if they will work and if not then return them and buy 2 12 volt size 24's but I would like to skip the possible returning/exchanging and just buy batteries once. I've used golf cart batteries on my previous RV and am used to the periodic maintenance they require. This Winnebago 29VE makes it very easy to maintain the batteries as compared to my old motorhome.

Thanks for the replies. This isn't something I need to do right now, it's probably going to be an upcoming project for when I get some spare time. I usually replace RV's house batteries at the 5-year point and these size 24's are almost there. I don't look to get every last day of life out of batteries, I replace them before they give me any problems, that way there's no surprises.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Blueridge-fl: Thanks for the reply, that's exactly the information I'm looking for.

I realize that I'm going to have to make my own hold-downs, probably out of stainless allthread. Worst case, I will break out the welder and fabricate an upper hold-down bracket too.

I had not considered the group 31 sized batteries, I will check Sams and Costco and see what they've got.

Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Be careful with Group 31 batteries. Most are not true deep cycle batteries. Golf Cart GC2 batteries on the other hand, always are. Plus GC's usually provide 220 Ahs for a pair at 12V whereas G31s are usually 200 Ahs for a pair. And they are almost always cheaper.

David
Old 11-12-2021, 09:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

If you go the flooded, lead acid, golf cart battery route, do yourself a favor and get a watering system, that will greatly simplify topping them off and prolong their life by your keeping on top of things:

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV2...6735410&sr=8-8

You'll also need this:

https://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-Fil...04RDSQ2K&psc=1

I've had dual 6V GC batteries in boats and RVs for decades and have never experienced a sudden failure.

As David mentioned, the 12V group 31, 12V "Deep Cycle" batteries at Costco or Sam's Club (and also Batteries+) are likely to be dual purpose RV/Marine batteries, not true deep cycle batteries. That's been my experience when I've looked at them.

They're more expensive, but if you want to go the 12V route, you can get true 110Ah 12V AGM deep cycle batteries like these, which are slightly smaller than Group 31s. Just double check the size when ordering:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I changed to AGMs early this year. Why? As far as I can tell there is no difference between AGM starting batteries and AGM deep cycle batteries. The glass mat separating the plates inherently makes it a deep cycle battery or a starting battery for that matter. And they are sealed so no water checking required.

BobC likes the Mighty Max above and that is a good choice. I went with a pair of these WindyNation AGMs for $400: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

David
Old 11-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I made this conversion to 2 6v batteries in my 2016 Vista 26he. I did have to move the battery hold down rods a little to make it work. It involves drilling new holes in the bottom of the battery box and buying longer rods. Easy!
Dentkimterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I converted my 2019 Vista29VE to 2 100watt heated Battleborn batteries. I added a DC to DC charger between the Ford F53 alternator. I have never looked back. Much much more expensive, much longer life, twice the power, no maintenance, and a few other benefits with no downside other than cost. Batteries fit nicely. There is a lot of info about others doing this in this forum.
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Update:

I finally got some time to play with the RV this past weekend and changed out the original group 24 house batteries to the Mighty Max AGM group 31 batteries. They fit, with very little extra space.

I had to extend the hold-downs due to the greater height of the 31's and had to move the ground cables where they bolt to the frame to get the last bit of needed clearance.

I also broke out the crimpers, lugs, and some spare #1/0 and #2 cable and made some custom cables. Now the battery isn't used as a junction point, only 1 cable is bolted to each battery terminal and any junction is either a few inches away (positive) or cables run direct from battery to chassis (negative). No "stacked" connectors on the battery terminals.

The next related mod will be to add some bracing to the open long end of the battery tray as it is a bit more "wobbly" than I would like. I am going to use a piece of square steel tubing (way overkill for what I need but it's what I had on hand) and some 1/2" allthread to brace up the tray to the Winnebago frame members. I might get that done this year, but the way things have been going......
Old 12-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby5832708 View Post
I might get that done this year, but the way things have been going......
You're not alone!
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

While you're in there I suggest a Victron Smart Shunt
Old 12-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #16
Site Team

I don't know what you had in your setup or anything other than what you've described above about the changes you've made, but one word of caution. Many times WBGO runs multiple load take-offs of different multiple posts for balanced charging reasons and to run heavy loads. For instance, if you have an inverter, 1000w or more, it may be connected to your battery bank at separate points.

Just be sure that the changes you've made have not disrupted something that upsets the charging or power supplies to ancillary systems.

On my Class A, the cables for the inverter/charger and the alternator are connected separately to the battery bank.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:37 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I replaced the NAPA OEM with sold by Costco Interstate 200AH 6V Golf Cart Batteries with no issues on my 2015 27N. I used some plywood scrap blocking to keep the batteries from sliding around in the tray. There is enough depth to accomodate the taller Interstate batteries. Should be for Trojans, but you'll want to confirm.

I just reused one of the OEM zero gauge jumpers to do the 6V batteries series connection.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries