Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Winnebago 33C Limited Access

Hi.

We have purchased a 2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C. We saw our new coach at our dealer shortly after it arrived. The dealer has to install some aftermarket items and prep the coach so our coach will not be ready until next week.

This is the first time we have seen a 33C with the slides in and there is very little room to move from the door to the driver’s seat. There is about six inches between the recliner and the kitchen cabinet.

How has other 33C owners dealt with restricted access to the cockpit?

Thanks. Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

OUCH that's a tough one to deal with. Not seeing that before you buy is a problem. It's tough in a gasser with a mid ship entry not to be able to get out easy to get gas etc. and difficult to use the coach on longer trips when you pull over to rest, eat, boon dock etc. and can't put your slides out.

NO test drive? I guess you would of noticed that during a test drive. I sat in my rig for hours with the slides open and closed before I bought.

It would be a deal breaker for me. I need to be able to get in and out fast. I have a entry gate where mine is stored. I have to get out push in the code and then get back in and drive thru the gate in a short amount of time. My rig is a 36Y Vista and some of the kitchen cabinets, microwave and stove are not accessible when the slides are in but we have set things up to be able to deal with it.

Hope you can work it out .

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

There's been several threads on here similar to that. Unfortunately, because of your entry door, it is going to be a little restrictive. Our 30A is similar with the side in, but our door is up front so there's room to get in/out. It's just that accessing the fridge and bathroom while the sides are in, is annoying.
Best hope.. think "small"
Todd157k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

From an engineering point of view it makes sense. Maximize space when slides are out and minimize aisle space when slides are in. When we are using our RV we will spend more time living in it than driving it.

Because our previous coach had slides only on the driver's side the aisle was clear. I believe that we will get used to the squeeze quickly. I also believe that there are tricks that I will learn that will help widen aisle space.

Safe travels. JD
Old 08-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Seems like some unwritten rule for RV manufacturers, never show the floorplan with the slides in, either in pictures or diagram.

Whenever I go to an RV show one of the first things I ask is "Can you pull the slides in" as this is the only way you can tell what it's like, there is NEVER a pic online of the interior with the slides in!
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
Hi.

We have purchased a 2016 Winnebago Sightseer 33C. We saw our new coach at our dealer shortly after it arrived. The dealer has to install some aftermarket items and prep the coach so our coach will not be ready until next week.

This is the first time we have seen a 33C with the slides in and there is very little room to move from the door to the driver’s seat. There is about six inches between the recliner and the kitchen cabinet.

How has other 33C owners dealt with restricted access to the cockpit?

Thanks. Safe travels. JD
Mine is the same as yours but we turn the recliner sideways when traveling and it opens up the pathway very nicely. Plus it keeps the back of the chair from banging into the valance and screen on the window. With all slides in and chair sideways there is plenty of walking room from front to rear. I checked this before I bought because I have seen some rigs where you can not do anything with the slides in.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
From an engineering point of view it makes sense. Maximize space when slides are out and minimize aisle space when slides are in. When we are using our RV we will spend more time living in it than driving it.

Because our previous coach had slides only on the driver's side the aisle was clear. I believe that we will get used to the squeeze quickly. I also believe that there are tricks that I will learn that will help widen aisle space.

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat-this should ease your concerns a bit. I went out to the MH just now and took some pictures with the slides in. In the first pic I removed the Euro recliner hold down bolt and pushed it against the wall. So there is ample room between the cabinet and the Euro. There is 17 inches between the corner of the cabinet and the corner of the sofa and that dimension is just knee high and below.

The second picture shows access to the refrig/bathroom and the third shows access clear to the bedroom. We stop frequently for lunch or a break and have no problem accessing the refrig and bathroom and eating at the table. I have no problem with getting in and out for gas fillups or for a break and checking the toad and doing a walk-around. The wife will go to the bathroom or get something out of the frig while I'm driving and it hasn't bothered her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150821_165138.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	104113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150821_164509.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	104114  

Name:	20150821_164426.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	104115  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Looks to me like aauummm turns his recliner sideways too.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Looks to me like aauummm turns his recliner sideways too.
yep! And I took the retaining bolt off for the first time just to see how much space I could gain. I pushed the recliner back and forth to see if it would slide around on the carpet and it doesn't.

The drawback would be that in the event of a collision it could become a "flying" recliner. I'm sure that Winnebago is very much against traveling without the retaining bolt in place as they bolt every thing to the frame. So, I'll probably put it back in although it makes the recliner take up a bit more space.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Mine is the same as yours but we turn the recliner sideways when traveling and it opens up the pathway very nicely. Plus it keeps the back of the chair from banging into the valance and screen on the window. With all slides in and chair sideways there is plenty of walking room from front to rear. I checked this before I bought because I have seen some rigs where you can not do anything with the slides in.
Thanks. I'l l try turning the recliner when we pick up our coach next Thursday.

I suspect that Winnebago slapped the chair in the coach with little care.

JD
Old 08-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
I agree with all of what you are saying.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Aauummm. I t looks like there is plenty of room. I don't have the euro chair so mine might be a little wider. I don't know the dimensions.

I noticed that the delivery driver, or more likely Winnebago, didn't strap down the dining room chairs.

We noticed that while trying to get into the bathroom the bathroom door hit the wooden front of the refrigerator when the slides are in. I'm trying to figure out how to keep grandchildren from slamming the door into the cabinets and marring the cabinets. I'm thinking about a clear plastic corner protector or perhaps make a rounded hardwood trim for the door.

We opted for the pantry instead of the washer and dryer. The pantry has trays on top that pull out and fixed shelves on the bottom. I can't understand why Winnebago didn't reverse the configuration to make it easier for older people to access items stored near the floor. I plan on reworking the pantry so that everything is a pull oout tray.

Safe travels. JD
Old 08-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Aauummm. I t looks like there is plenty of room. I don't have the euro chair so mine might be a little wider. I don't know the dimensions.

I noticed that the delivery driver, or more likely Winnebago, didn't strap down the dining room chairs.

We noticed that while trying to get into the bathroom the bathroom door hit the wooden front of the refrigerator when the slides are in. I'm trying to figure out how to keep grandchildren from slamming the door into the cabinets and marring the cabinets. I'm thinking about a clear plastic corner protector or perhaps make a rounded hardwood trim for the door.

We opted for the pantry instead of the washer and dryer. The pantry has trays on top that pull out and fixed shelves on the bottom. I can't understand why Winnebago didn't reverse the configuration to make it easier for older people to access items stored near the floor. I plan on reworking the pantry so that everything is a pull oout tray.

Safe travels. JD
The plastic protector or trim piece on the bathroom door sounds like a good idea. Our granddaughter is 15 and very careful so that's something that isn't a problem for us and I wouldn't have thought of that idea.

The right half of our pantry has the trays on the bottom and the fixed shelf on top. You're right-that's the way it should be. The left half of the pantry has all fixed shelves. You have the four door frig where mine is the two door, so our pantries will be slightly different.

I wish we had the four door frig. We take the granddaughter with us for a month or more during the summer and with three people we have to restock the frig every 4-5 days. If we are going to stay in one place for a week or longer I take the refrigerated cooler to keep drinks in. Helps make more room in the refrigerator.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Yellowboat, here are a few pictures of the door stop I added to keep the bath door from hitting the fridge. There is a hinge on the back of the stop and it can be flipped back on top when the slides are open. We don't notice it anymore and it just stays down.
The other picture is the door stop to keep the bath door from swinging around and hitting the wall when the slides are out. We did not have one and I noticed it in a picture. So I checked the parts catalog and there was suppose to be one so they send me one. Looks like on the 2016 it is not there. Is there something else to keep the door from hitting the wall?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bath Door stop 1.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	104229   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath Door stop 2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	104230  

Name:	Bath Door stop 3.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	104231  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

GRTHarris

I will start with your second door stop first. We have this type of door stop in our house and they work great.

I like the idea of your first, slides in, door stop. It would be an easy build. I plan on reworking the pantry and adding shelves in the cabinets. My wife said that she would like a articulating lazy susan, like one in our house, under the sink. I found one at Rocklers.com.

And this is why I like the forums. You and aauummm and all the other replies have been very helpful.

Thanks. JD
Old 08-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Yes and this is why I don't have this model now. The layout is very nice when parked and all opened up, but it is useless when traveling. Personally it is not safe at all and I think Winnebago should drop it or redesign the layout.
You can't get to or from the front seats unless you are child. In an emergency you can forget it, you will never get out. You might as well have bought a travel trailer because your better half will not be able to get up go to the restroom while on the road.
What were they thinking of???
This is the reason to always test drive it first and also check it out when all slides are not only out but in.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Well I'm finally on my computer. I should be able to post a picture now, I think.

Here is a picture of the recliner as placed by Winnebago.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Well I'm finally on my computer. I should be able to post a picture now, I think.

Here is a picture of the recliner as placed by Winnebago.

Ya, that's way too far out. I'm sure that it can be shoved further back. You may have to remove the floor retaining clamp and bolt as that tends to keep the recliner further out from the wall.

If it won't go any further back, I would consider taking it out and replacing it with a smaller recliner. I've seen identical ones to mine in furniture stores.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:05 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Yes and this is why I don't have this model now. The layout is very nice when parked and all opened up, but it is useless when traveling. Personally it is not safe at all and I think Winnebago should drop it or redesign the layout.
You can't get to or from the front seats unless you are child. In an emergency you can forget it, you will never get out. You might as well have bought a travel trailer because your better half will not be able to get up go to the restroom while on the road.
What were they thinking of???
This is the reason to always test drive it first and also check it out when all slides are not only out but in.
I guess you have not read any of the previous threads that contradict what you are saying here.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Yes it is tight. We leave the bathroom door open and put a velcro to hold it open. We also shove the euro recliner up against the wall. And yes it is still tight but we get skinny and make do there are few floor plans this good with slides out.

In the back we tossed the king bed and put in the queen. Major improvement in accessibility with slides out.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago