Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 Tour HD

Hi All,
We're looking at the 2016 Tour 42HD and would like to know opinions about it. Likes/dislikes, pros/cons what to look for etc. Love the floor plan and the "lipstick". Not over the top but comfortable and nice to look at. My husband is nuts over the big window!
This will be our first diesel and only our second motorhome. Moving up from a class C 29 footer. I say go big or go home!
Thanks!
tb919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello,
We own an Ellipse 42QD, which is on the same Maxum chassis. The 42HD is a strong coach with tons of storage inside, good practical storage areas. The basement storage is really roomy and taller than most offer too. It is a unique floor plan compared to others, with the "apartment" look they were trying to achieve. Instead of the "bowling alley" look front to back....

They hit a home run with the fact that no matter where you sit, you can view the TV with ease. Except for the person sitting at the dinette facing the front. Speaking of the dinette, the table not only moves in and out, it moves forward and backward, very interesting.

Overall, it is one of the best bang for the buck coaches out there. This is considering all the amenities and features relative to the MSRP. Some features on this coach are on other manufacturer's more expensive lines.

I'm a fan of several brands, but this is a nice coach in my humble opinion.
Our 2014 Ellipse has been a good unit for us.

Hope this was of some help, best of luck to you folks. Let us know how you come out!

W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We're Ellipse 42QD fans ... enjoy the same great benefits that Electra 225 described. I think it's a tough choice between the models but perhaps the following will help you:
- HD has 4 slides versus QD's 3: ask carefully about the slide mechanisms re: issues some folks are having with Lippert components (we've had none)
- Look at the storage behind the sitting area TV on the QD: how does that influence your decision versus the HD's retracting TV?
- In our view the sitting arrangement of the QD won over the HD due to clean TV sight lines (one of us can watch TV while the other is doing something at the table or is working in the kitchen)
- Look at the axle weight distribution front and back: how close are the front axles to their max?

Some improvements to negotiate with the dealer:
- Get a window awning over the large front passenger window (great coverage when you don't have the larger patio awning out)
- Install Maxxair (or similar) vent covers over any opening vent
- If you have the puck lights above the head of the bed on a single switch, change them out to the flexible stalk lights on individual switches

Some improvements you can consider:
- Replace the plastic bins in the large bay storage area with the next larger size (same brand - they fit and provide better capacity/less crowding)

I'm sure there are other things but this has turned into my longest ever post (past, present and future) but we are very pleased with our coach.

Send pictures soonest ... best wishes - safe travels
Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

While not the Tour 42QD we have it's little brother the Journey 40U and just love this floor plan. The coach feels like a home with the living room set-up. The 1 main change we made was removing the pull out dining table and replacing it with a 36" round double drop leaf free standing table. The factory table was a little narrow for our taste.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Just like you, we HATE the bowling alley of most coaches. We've looked at many coaches and the ONLY floor plan the wife (and myself) like is the HD.

Winnebago has its problems. They ALL do.

We will probably buy the HD, or the new 45RL.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Good points and just what we're looking for. It's been a difficult, confusing journey trying to find the right fit. I do like the Tour's floor plan but some of the comments regarding Winnebago's service and other things makes us a bit leery. Newmar seems like a better product with more customer service. They also have a smaller 40 ft with a tag instead of a 42. Since we are moving from something so much smaller a 40 footer seems huge to us! Thanks again for the input and keep the comments coming because we need the advice from all of you out there that have the experiences to share.
TB
Old 02-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Don't kid yourself about Newmar having better customer service. Remember the million dollar King Aire that flooded the first week and it took the owner six months to get a resolution?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

p.s. - EVERY Newmar we've looked at had the proverbial loose screws on the floor and in the cabinets, a loose ball bearing in the drawers, crooked doors, sawdust that should have been cleaned up, etc.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We did it! Finally pulled the trigger and got our dream coach!! Not the Tour but an Ellipse and we can't wait to get going out on the road. So much to learn though and while I swore we would never get anything larger than a 40ft coach the 42HD just fit and had everything we wanted. We are so excited. Thanks for the advice and I'm sure I'll be asking for more. :-)
Old 02-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We don't own a coach. But we've looked, and looked hard, for about three years now. There's always the trade off - large vs small, diesel vs gas, A vs C, $$ vs $$$$, etc.

And our favorite coach, with what we feel is the best floorplan for us, and has the highest bang for your buck, is the HD Tour or Ellipse. We really, really appreciate the non-bowling lane look and the half bath is quite roomy.

Happy for you. Very happy for you.

Nancy & Phil
Old 02-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Nancy & Phil. We've been looking for the last year and I mean looking-long & hard. I agree with you about the floor plan & the most bang for the buck. It's a tough decision but we are thrilled. Good luck to you on your search. Get the largest you can afford & don't settle.
TB
Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hey folks congrats on the new Ellipse! As you saw in my earlier post here, that is what we have in the 42QD.

Post some pics of the new coach when you get a chance too!
If you have any questions at all, give us a holler. Lots of Ellipse/Tour owners here to help.

Wishing you many happy/safe miles/years, yer gonna love it!

Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

95% of your questions can be answered in the bag of manuals, the remaining 5% by us know-it-all's.

I respectfully suggest you go to a local RV park and camp for a long weekend. Operate all the equipment. See where the slides end up in relation to the power "pole". That is very important. One of you is the driver and the other is the spotter.

The 60 degree wheel cut is amazing! You will be able to get into places thought impossible. Drive around the RV park and practice the pull-in, pull-out and setting up. That includes working with the towed vehicle (on the second weekend).

If something doesn't seem right, stop, parking brake, and get out and walk around the coach. Always use a ground guide!!!!

Report back, don't leave us hanging.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks all, we take delivery this week and can hardly wait! Here's my first of many to be asked questions. What system do you use for TV? Direct, Dish ? It's cable prepped and ready to go but we need suggestions please.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Do you have a service in the s&b?

We had Dish, but use ATT for cell and Internet. If you bundle your home service, cell and Internet with ATT and Direct TV (they merged), you may find a good savings that is better for us than having a separate service for the RV.

Other things to consider is that Dish has a pay as you go option, but we found it was not enough savings for us.

There are also other options that may be a better fit for some folks, like having TWC at home, and using a Sling box to use your home service on the road. There are also several streaming services that may work for you, and simply bypass Dish or Direct TV altogether.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:10 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Tb919,
Your new coach may have a satellite dish already installed on the roof. So the decision of Dish versus Direct may have already been made for you.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:32 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I looked at the spec sheet and what we have is Satellite HDTV System-Automatic so you might be right ChasA. They mentioned Direct TV and H-24 but it's all greek to us. We didn't have any service in our Aspect so this is a first. We have TWC at home.
Thanks.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Kind of surprising, currently (and I may be wrong) Winnebago ships with the dreaded Kingdome on top. If it's a dome you can only receive digital tv.

The other information means you are set to be able to process HDTV. We will have to wait til you see the coach in person. You will still need a HDTV receiver!

We have Direct tv with the east coast/west coast channels available. It's worth the money. Retired and wandering the USA, priceless.

2012 Tour QD Ruby.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:24 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

We have been watching the HD threads. Looking forward to hearing your 1 week 1 month 6 month updates. We are planning on getting the Winnebago HD but want to see how well they are coming off the assembly line. Please keep us all up to date even after the honeymoon period which I hope lasts years. 😇

Chris
RV Living iRV2 - RV Forum
ChrisRVLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Will definitely give updates as we roll along. We are planning on "practice" driving before taking it out on a big trip. Have some trips planned already but this is a whole different beast from our little class C. My husband did great and I am looking forward to getting behind the wheel myself. Any tips from all of you would be greatly appreciated. I wish the familiarization period was already over because we want to use our beautiful "Silver Cloud" A LOT!!