Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2016 - Tour/Ellipse - Seen this slide issue?

Yeah, sooooooooo, went in for the final walk thru. Somehow I don't think this is supposed to look like this. Very frustrating considering we were supposed to be spending the night in it. Mechanics said they had no clue and would have to get in touch with Winnebago. I am beyond frustrated now. Anyone seen anything like this before?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4158.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	312.7 KB
ID:	157212Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4159.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	157213
Retired_Helo_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Gunner:

If I was you, I'd run not walk away from this rig asap. It has to make you wonder what else is defective. Embarrassing that the dealer's tech(s) are clueless to what's wrong.

Best of luck to you sir and I hope it works out in your favor.

R/S
Lanny
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not good at all!
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It really shouldn't be a big deal. Either the slide motors are out of sync or maybe a connection loose. We've lived in ours for 9 years full time and have had a few slide issues, but none of them were too hard to fix. If you have a new unit it takes a while to work the "new bugs" out. Not like a car these Rv's are really complex units and many things can be on the punch card list when you start to use it. Use all the systems, AC units, heat pumps, aqua-hot, water pump. You don't think of the heaters when it's warm out, or the AC units when it's cold out, but you need to try them all. The dealership should be able to address most of the problems you will encounter, but that depends of the individual tech's they employ. You can always drive it to the factory if all else fails. It all adds up to the adventure and it will be that for sure. Happy travels Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Were they moving the slide in and out with the jacks up and not running the motor? Never never never deploy the slides without leveling the coach with the jacks, and with the motor running. This is not a big issue if both slide motors are running. I have heard that running the slide in and out a couple times might fix this. Also when operating your PS slides hold the button down for at least 10 seconds after the slides are full in or out. Here is what an owner sent me.

I'll state what I was told to do by Winnebago factory techs. It has worked well so far.

Here are the few steps to keep the mechanisms most happy....

Always have the engine running, and the coach leveled. The engine running ensures enough voltage is getting to the slide motors, including the full wall slide motors. Being level is just the minimum of stress to everything involved.
I always deploy the bedroom first, then living room, then full wall. I bring them in with the reverse order of that. Full wall, living room, bedroom.

To calibrate motors on Lippert track system curbside slides (this is not for the full wall slide):
Rock both switches, (one at a time) 4 times for one second each click...meaning..out (1 sec), in (1 sec), out (1 sec), in (1 sec), out (1 sec), in (1 sec), out (1 sec), in (1 sec) and release. (I would do the calibration about every 4 cycles of deployment and bringing slides in).
Now you can go ahead and operate each slide. When it reaches all the way out, hold the switch for 2 seconds and release. You're done for now, enjoy the coach.

When getting ready to bring slides in, again start the engine. From a cold engine start, I always run it on fast idle. After ignition, activate cruise control, run engine up to 900 rpm and hit "set". The cruise will run it up a few more rpm and then run steady. It's best for the engine, and you're airing up faster too while tending to slide operation. After bringing in the full wall slide, press the slide lock switch and hold until you hear the lock motor stop (to be fully locked) then release. Same when unlocking.

So now that you're calibrated on curb side slides, before bringing them in, do this first.....depress the "out" switch for 2 seconds and release. Then depress "in" and bring the slide in. When it comes to a stop, hold the switch for 2 seconds and release. When deploying the next time, do the reverse: Press and hold "in" for 2 seconds and release, then deploy slide, when it comes to a stop, hold switch for 2 seconds and release. Now all that's left is turn slide "power" key off, run up and cut off the cruise control (down to slow idle), retract jacks, and do the rest of check list before departure. It will become second nature in no time, and by then not as time consuming as reading this!

I do hope this is helpful, and my wording of it all is not confusing.
Best regards,
W.D.
2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

After looking at his picture doesn't it look like these are the new slide rails. They are too narrow than the ones on my coach. They are differently the new style rails.
Ron Postma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have the tour version of your rig. It does have the new rails as does mine. It looks like your slide motors are out of calibration. I would attempt to run your slide back in and cycle through again. Not surprised the tech had no clue. This is becoming more common place at some dealers. I recommend as stated to exercise all your systems soon. You will end up with a fix it list that can be time consuming getting it into the dealership. I am coming up to my one year warranty Mark and I full time in mine and still have a half dozen items to get fixed under warranty. Best of luck and safe travels.
akcretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone for the comments, it has actually made me feel a little better. I will head out in the morning as long as the forecasted tornadoes (Florida) don't get us. It sounds like it is time for me to go school them.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Looks like front motor did not engage. Looks like they held the button too long and now box is stuck. Should not be a huge fix as long as the racks are not damaged.

Surprising technician was confused.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Is that the FLS or RPE system on that slide?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Mechanics had no clue? Now that is scary.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Doesn't look to complicated, electric or hydraulic? Just one side isn't getting power, must be electrical, no fluid under the truck,
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_Helo_Pilot View Post
Is that the FLS or RPE system on that slide?

Who pushed the button while watching this slide get that far out of sink?

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Sure glad I have an older '02 with HWH slides. No problems whatever so far.

My best suggestion is that you find and read the user's guide for your slides. As I recall, mine don't require the engine be running when they're extended or retracted. A weak battery would have me doing that though.

Good luck & great travels!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Just a note regarding calibration procedure in my older outline a while back......this was pertaining to the old fixed track system. Now, I asked about calibration with the new system (like the OP's) which is like my upgraded kitchen slide mechanism. They said it would be fine but maybe not as necessary. I'm going to talk to Lippert again and make SURE on this. I will report back HERE with my findings.

All of the other info I posted about leveling, voltage etc is still valid and important.

Good question Jesse, reminds me of the poor guy with a brand new Mountain Aire some months ago. While still on the lot, dealer tech pushed the button for the full wall extending.....owner hears bad noise, yells stop repeatedly, tech doesn't listen, and kaboom. Tore up the floor tile, broke the ceiling, tore the woodwork off the slide, and well, there it is. Still waiting to hear how that turns out, no word lately.

Hoping this is an easy fix for you Helo, it should be I think. We're here to help if we can.

Regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:12 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Who pushed the button while watching this slide get that far out of sink?

Jesse

Bahahahaha, any guesses??? Yes, it was the sales guy.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

So after reading everything here and tearing into the manual some I think I have wrapped my mind around it. I will try heading into the dealership in a bit to teach them how to fix it.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Well, you can't say you were not warned about the slide situation (Not just a Winnebago problem). And some good tips were offered on correcting the situation.

As stated in the bag of books you were given, the slides operate off the Engine Batteries. That is the reason for the engine running, it's charging the Engine Batteries.

If the coach was sitting and not hooked to any (20, 30, or 50 amp) electrical outlet, the batteries will discharge over a period of time and bad stuff will happen.

Jim Reeves said it best "Welcome to my world". Checklist !!

After the coach is leveled, my wife operates the slides and I am outside where she can constantly see me. You will find power poles and water outlets in rv parks have different heights, placements, etc.,. a serious menace to your slides. A good reason to have a long electrical and water cord/hose. I use bright yellow dish washing gloves and use the same ground guide signals as when I drove during RVN.

Practicing the set up and tear down was suggested by another poster, great advice.
Make sure you move the coach around the rv park while practicing.

You have a great coach and I would respectfully suggest attending the Winnebago rally in Iowa this year. Just call Winnebago and they will give you the contact #.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Well, you can't say you were not warned about the slide situation (Not just a Winnebago problem). And some good tips were offered on correcting the situation.

I would agree with you about "knowing" about the slide issue. I DO know about the issues for previous years models. I DID NOT, nor am I aware, of anyone having issues with the "fixed" 2016 slides. If you have any info on 2016 issues I would love to capture any of the knowledge you may have.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, someone with a "fixed" 2016 will have to jump in here. If all else fails, maybe calling Winnebago customer service will help.

The Rally is still a very good idea even if your slides get working.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide