Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I truly am sorry you are having problems even before you left the lot. I hope your slide issue is only the motors out of sync or the front one malfunctioning. You were so excited about picking up your new dream coach. So were we when we went to take our new 2014 Forza home three years ago. It sure dampens your enthusiasm.

We had to leave it at the dealer who had it for 30+ days trying to correct the Schwintek worm gear track slides. We ended up HAVING to go to the GNR to have them work on it, wasn't our choice. They had it three of the five days we were there. Their consensus: nothing further can be done.

What they did do was switch to Schwintek's Power gear system which uses a toothed "floating" track. While it has been less problematic it still has numerous failures. If you call Winnebago they'll pretend yours is the first failure the have heard of, same answer you get with all the other issues.
You see, in Winnebago's thinking they solved the worm gear style track issue by using the type you have. All of us with the older, out of warranty coaches are "s" out of luck. They solved the problem!!

People on here think me way too negative. We should be happy what we got for $170,000 otd. It's not worth much as a trade in as the industry knows of the slide issues. Can't afford to take that big a loss so we paid it off in one year so at least every month we don't see our money flying out the door.

Finally, you can run the generator to insure proper voltage instead of cold running your diesel engine to extend/retract if you aren't driving away.

Every time we run the slides my wife is outside watching to be sure the slide doesn't "cock' and bind while both of us listen for noises other then what it normally makes as I watch the inside movement. It is not a matter of will the slide fail... it's going to at some inconvenient time.

Sorry this is so long. They will get your slide back in sync and you may be lucky and never have an issue again. I'll be here on the sidelines reading of your adventures, nursing my negative attitude! Hey, at least I enjoy my Corvette and it's going on top down season....hurray!
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I promised an update on the calibration procedure. I spoke with Lippert and Winnebago today, and here's the deal......with the NEW floating track system.....which are on all new coaches, and is like my upgraded kitchen slide.....the calibration procedure does NOT apply. It DOES still apply to the old fixed track system......which I still have on my bedroom small slide.

What you DO have to do on the new floating track is, hold the button down once the slide reaches it's stopping point either in or out, and wait until you hear both motors click, then release the switch. This will occur in seconds, so to be safe, hold the switch for 10 seconds in case you missed hearing the clicks.

To the previous poster;
with respect, I must disagree about your voltage coming from the generator. If that is true, then you could also run the slides on 50A shore power. The voltage adequate for all of the slides operation comes from the chassis battery side. You must run the diesel engine (I use fast idle, see my previous post) to keep voltage at optimum. Before pushing the slide buttons, check your voltage level on the panel. It must be above 13 volts before engaging any slide.

Best regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I almost forgot, a good idea I learned about. While running your slides in and out, it doesn't hurt to open a window or the entry door. It minimizes air pressure in the coach, therefore less stress on the slides and mechanisms. Really, it does work believe it or not.

W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I almost forgot, a good idea I learned about. While running your slides in and out, it doesn't hurt to open a window or the entry door. It minimizes air pressure in the coach, therefore less stress on the slides and mechanisms. Really, it does work believe it or not.

W.D.
With all due respect, I find your post laughable at best. In theory yes, but not unless your RV was built by Elon Musk and destined for Mars. I don't think pressurization is an issue. Just thinking about the amount of bugs and dust that infiltrates my bus not to mention campfires, etc.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

So just a follow up, it is taking several days to ship parts, but they are basically needing to send the entire assembly. Two motors, columns, gear rack, basically the entire thing. The scariest part is listening to the mechanics talk about needing to remove every single piece of wood on the entire slide. Keep in mind this is the Ellipse 42HD, which means the bedroom wardrobes, drawers, columns, safe and TV.
Retired_Helo_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Ron Postma has it! We have experienced the same issue and the key is to make sure the engine is running and NOT just turned on. Our tech who is trained in slide systems told us it is crucial for the slides to get enough amperage to run properly. Also, make sure you don't stop and start a lot. I do the same routine when extending and retracting the slides. Level first, then the back passenger side, front driver side, back driver side and the big slide is last. Just reverse order for retracting. Hang in there. We've found the techs don't have all the answers because they aren't trained well enough most times. Just figure you have a year of working out the bugs. Hope you have a good dealership to work with.
Steer clear of those tornados. Never had them when I was growing up in Florida but sure have the threat now in Texas!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear your situation has escalated to a complete removal and all slide mechanisms needing replacement. We know what it's like to expect to pick up your new rig only to have to leave it for serious repairs.

When we were "forced" to take it to Forest City during GNR we did many tours as they had our rig three days. Many of the tour guides were factory workers and one was from the final inspection area. One on one after the tour we told him how they were trying to repair our slides and other issues, you are allowed seven. We told him we were disappointed it left with so many issues, especially the slides. He volunteered that "final inspection" was at best cursory, almost to the point if it ran it shipped. They expect the dealers to repair assembly line mistakes as they had months long build backlog and didn't have the manpower or time. It's not fair to the dealer network, as that's who we tend to blame.

Check your furnaces, that fall we found ours shutdown before ignition. Back to the dealer who found the duct work behind the vanity twisted and shutting down on safety. Sloppy workmanship just like the slides. Push 'em out, push 'em out.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2014 Ellipse QD with a slide that failed three times in the first year. As I remember they replaced all the slide components upon each failure. Figured out the slide mechanism for the slide was not designed to handle the weight and movement of the slide. On the fourth failure Winnebago took the coach back to Forest City Iowa and reengineered the slide with a different slide mechanism. The new mechanism has not failed but needs to be synced every once in a while - no big deal. I am 99% sure the 2016 model has the new slide mechanism made by Power Gear (now Liebert) my 2014 was upgraded to. Call Winnebago technical support (800) 537-1885 give them your Winnebago serial number (not the Freightliner chassis number) - if you have the manuals this number will be on your manual case. The service advisor will confirm the slide mechanism you have, provide recommended way to operate it, and will take a call from the dealer upon request. I am surprised your dealer has not already called them to get some troubleshooting advice. I think you will do well with the 2016 model - have fun.
SamFye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

We have an 05 Journey with a slide problem. HWH slides. It is finally going to the factory in Oregon to see if they can fix it. The driver side slide makes a horrible grinding sound and will not come up the slope unless you cycle it about 20 times. It has been this way since we bought it in 2013. It actually burned out the motor trying to get it to come up the slope on our last trip.
maryinreddin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide