Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 Meridian Stove vent exterior cover

So I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this problem but the exterior cover for the stove vent on my 2016 Meridian 40r flaps around when the vehicle is in motion and it is driving my crazy. I called Winnebago and they confirmed that others have called about this however they have no solution other than to shove some paper towels in the opening before traveling. has anyone else experienced this and do you have a better solution. Come on Winnebago!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

G'day Tom & Nancy,

Known issue on some WBGOs for at least farther back as 2014 when we purchased a new View Profile. Maybe longer..... Disappointing to see that WBGO has not leveraged a fix from the vent mfgr......and continues to install these vents. Its not a bad design....its the execution that sucks....

Technically the cause is the vent design uses a light weight, flexible, plastic cloth as the shutter. The shutter has a plastic rod molded in the bottom edge as a "weight" to hold it closed when the fan is off. The plastic rod is slightly longer than the vent's opening and it "woodpeckers" on the plastic vent frame when it opens and closes. DUHHHHHH! The lighweight shutter snaps open and bangs closed with changing air pressures inside and outside the RV as you drive...or when sitting in a gusty cross wind.

You can't trim the edges of the rod or ot will suck in and jam the opening. It needs to be in place and hang vertically to keep bugs and dirt out obviously.

Giving credit where credit is due.......Mrs. Crow took a "SWIFFER" on a stick and stuffed it in the vent opening and deftly pulled off the stick. The Swiffer is polyester and won't mildew and break down like paper. Its "grabby" enough to stay in place and muzzle the woodpecker. To remove...take the handle and snag the Swiffer out.

Easy-Peasy! But looks funny.

I've thought about carefully removing the ends of the rod or some other mod but the MacGuyver "put a sock in it" fix works and its easy enough to put in and remove.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via MSN to Saber77
We've experienced this same issue on our 2015 Journey. First, La Mesa's solution was to glue the flap shut making the vent inoperative. Next while at the factory, they added a styrofoam pad to the flap to deaden the sound, but that didn't work. Finally, just last week our local dealer replaced the entire vent and now it makes more noise than before. So I used duct tape to close the flap and have given up on being able to use the stove vent until if and when WGO develops a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've got a solution for this. Our 2016 Journey stove flapper vent made such a racket you couldn't talk or hear yourself think. After our maiden voyage home, I used a single sided screen frame latch to solve the problem. Drilled a small hole, spaced out the latch with washers and problem solved. Just rotate the latch before driving. Think it cost a $1+ for parts and 15 minutes time. Also works for the dryer vent.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I think your idea has some merit so could you somehow revise more detail or possibly a photo of it. I don't understand what a single sided screen frame latch is.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Had that issue with another unit and just used adhesive backed pads and put them on the lower frame of the exhaust where the flap was hitting.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trynforpar View Post
I think your idea has some merit so could you somehow revise more detail or possibly a photo of it. I don't understand what a single sided screen frame latch is.
Sorry it too me so long. Was having some issues. Here is the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02615.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	119401  
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the picture. I like your idea.

Tags
vent