Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 36Z, engine cover falling off

I can’t be the first one to encounter this. When I was closing the hood,(the one under the windshield), the passenger side bracket fell off. Totally detached. It seems the brackets are ‘glued on’. No bolts, no rivets, just epoxy of some sort.

Now I have to come up with a way to reattach. Anyone ever see this before?
Tf78933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:56 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Historically this has been a regularly occurring failure, and you'll find many threads about it here and other forums.

Mine fell off frequently, and eventually I took the rig back to Forest City where they ground off the old epoxy holding the hinge brackets in place, then reapplied new epoxy. Its held for several years now but it is a very frustrating weakness in their design and installation.

It can be repaired. I recall some folks use bolts but I can't bring myself to do that so I'm relying on a better epoxy job. Fingers crossed and luck with a repair!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Elbow grease & epoxy

I had both of my hood brackets fall off. When the first one came off, I held the hood in place with duct tape. It took me longer to fix the original problem so I had to deal with getting the duct tape residue off too, don't do that (3M Adhesive Remover did the trick though). After the second one came off, I had no choice but to get to work. To fix the problem, I scraped off all the old glue from the backside of the front cowl, down to the fiberglass. That was the hard part. Then scraped and sanded the brackets down to bare metal. I used JB Weld epoxy that was for fiberglass and metal and put it all back together. Clamping it was a bit tricky, so figure out what might work for you. It was several hours of awkward work, but it's been six months and a couple thousand mile of bumpy travel and it's still holding solid (fingers crossed).
edju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Repair

Thank you for your responce’s. I’m getting the coach out of storage in the morning so I’ll let everyone know how it goes. I’m thinking I’ll use bolts and epoxy.
My biggest fear is that is I won’t get it aligned correctly and the hood won’t latch.
Tf78933 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine