Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2015 Winnebago Vista Body separating from chassis

Has anyone had a problem with the body separating from the chassis?
While checking the water level in my batteries I happened to notice a gap by the entry door. Upon further examination I realized there was a gap between the body and chassis down the passenger side.
rsothen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to Winnie Owners, we are glad you joined us.

If you have the time, completing a signature with the year make and model for your Winnie can help others to help you if and when you need it. And you can do that here;

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/p...=editsignature

We have a gap like that but it's not separation it's just how some motorhomes are built and attached to the chassis.
If you can post pictures of yours that would really help others determine if there's actually a problem.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista.
The separation seems to be along the passenger side. I see it in the compartments all along the side which has the full length slide out.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsothen View Post
I have a 2015 Winnebago Vista.
The separation seems to be along the passenger side. I see it in the compartments all along the side which has the full length slide out.
I’ve never heard of that but agree it sounds like a serious issue worth contacting Winnebago about.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The sidewalls primary connection to the chassis is many self tapping screws behind the metal strip down both sides that has the vinyl decorative strip going down the middle of it that hides all the screws. The issue with separation below that strip is water intrusion into the basement compartments. Personally I have used Eternabond tape which can move and flex to seal those gaps in particular in the front and at the wheel well on the passenger side. I have the same problem on the driver's side, too and also addressed it the same way. If I had noticed the problem while still under warranty I would have brought it to Winnebago as a warranty issue and I suspect they would have slathered sealant in the gaps.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
The sidewalls primary connection to the chassis is many self tapping screws behind the metal strip down both sides that has the vinyl decorative strip going down the middle of it that hides all the screws. The issue with separation below that strip is water intrusion into the basement compartments. Personally I have used Eternabond tape which can move and flex to seal those gaps in particular in the front and at the wheel well on the passenger side. I have the same problem on the driver's side, too and also addressed it the same way. If I had noticed the problem while still under warranty I would have brought it to Winnebago as a warranty issue and I suspect they would have slathered sealant in the gaps.
Thanks for the info. After a recent trip where I was traveling through a lot of rain my compartments were very wet, something I had not seen before.
Are you saying the body separation itself is tolerable if I seal the gaps to keep out water?
Old 04-13-2019, 07:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

> are you saying the body separation itself is tolerable if I seal the gaps.

Yes. The root cause of the problem is that Winnebago builds their basement compartments mounted to the chassis they have no top or outside walls. The floor becomes the top and the sidewall becomes the outside. These joints just don't get totally 100% sealed the way Winnebago builds Vistas. It's frustrating as I am sure Winnebago engineering knows it's a problem and they have never made a design change so that assembly has something they can build reliably to not leak.

In addition, note that the side doors in particular the long ones with the side hinges may not be water tight when driving thru rainy weather. Air pressure forces water past the seal into the basement due to the flex that happens when there is that much length between the hinge and the latch. You can adjust them so they close tighter this may help but it also makes the doors require more effort to close so that they latch properly.

Finally inspect the wire harness openings in the back side of some basement compartments. One was not completely sealed on my Vista that can also be a source of water entry.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thanks for the info. After a recent trip where I was traveling through a lot of rain my compartments were very wet, something I had not seen before.
Are you saying the body separation itself is tolerable if I seal the gaps to keep out water?
Our coach had water in our compartments after driving in the rain. We took it to the dealer for repair. The service manager said the rear wheals were forcing water up and forward and into the compartments. They sealed the gap in the forward facing rear wheal wells with silicon and this solved the issue. I was surprised because the water had traveled so far forward, but at 60 mph it makes sense.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
While checking the water level in my batteries I happened to notice a gap by the entry door. Upon further examination I realized there was a gap between the body and chassis down the passenger side.
Welcome to the Frustration and disappointment of owning a Winnebago product. This week I had a large fiberglass bubble (size of a steering wheel) appear on the roof of my 2016 Winnebago. I had it accessed at a Winnebago authorized dealer who communicated with the warranty and staff at Winnebago. Results: one of the ribs has lifted which created the large bubble on your roof. This is normal and not under warranty. The roof should be replaced. Estimate= $20,000.00
Welcome aboard.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #10
NXR
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonie View Post
Results: one of the ribs has lifted which created the large bubble on your roof. This is normal and not under warranty. The roof should be replaced. Estimate= $20,000.00
Welcome aboard.
Moonie
Sorry, I'm not following something. Aren't the roofs covered by a 10-year warranty? And if it's "normal" why is a roof replacement recommended?

Thanks,

Ray
NXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:

There are several major bolts that hold the house down on the chassis and if those loosen (which they do) then the screws holding the trim and seal members in place will not be able to make up for it. My coach traveled the rough AlCan Highway before I bought it and half of the nuts on those large bolts had loosened and were spun down almost to the end of the bolt leaving about a 3/8 inch gap. I regularly check them for tightness whenever I am underneath for a chassis lube or other maintenance checks and have found them to have loosened on a number of occasions.

To me they should be checked at least annually. If you keep up with the recommendation to regularly check for loose chassis bolts then the other issues will be less likely to occur.

Dealers may be remiss on checking them when they do their PDI. Considering the variety of materials being joined together, checking these bolts for loosening (due to settling during the delivery drivers trip to the dealer with the rig) should be a required element.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Sorry, I'm not following something. Aren't the roofs covered by a 10-year warranty? And if it's "normal" why is a roof replacement recommended?

Thanks,

Ray
Welcome aboard RAY. I too heard and read that a 10 year warranty was part of the deal. In fact the sales literature brags about Winnebago having the best warranty in the industry. But read the fine print... you get a 1 year warranty!

Moreover, when a side rib/rail lifts upward from the coach frame; then pushes the fiberglass upwards with it; how can that be normal? But I have it in PDF print from Winnebago. Sadly, I have already put $10,000. into the rig to get it to be normal!

Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
My 2015 Itasca Ellipse Ultra has done the same. The panel over the rear tires has pulled away Lazy Days has repaired it twice. It’s still not a flush seamless fit but but supposedly “fixed”.
doc2often is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago, chassis