Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2015 Vista 31KE -add Extend A Stay

Hi - Has anyone ever added an Extend A Stay propane adapter to their Vista 31KE? 18lbs doesn’t seem like a lot. I was looking and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of room for the adapter. Just curious if anyone has done it.

Thanks
Ben
Kelm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The tank on MHs is measured in gallons not lbs. The tank on a Vista is 18 gallons not pounds. Thats 75.6 lbs.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have thought about the extend a stay but not found it needed for our style of travel as we do not go for long trips at this point. One thing that I did decide was that I would want to move the reg further out for space and that would likely mean extend some form of support for it as the current metal is not long enough. Possibly just bolt a small metal plate extender to the right? But since we have not found propane to be a nuisance, we defer on the change.
The parts list shows it as this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	174612  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Well I meant 18 gallons :-). I’m just worried about being in One spot for a few weeks at a time with the hot water heater being gas only and the gas furnace. I’ll check out the space some more to see if there’s room for the extend a stay.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I went out and looked and it appears to have the eight inches needed for it to be tucked in if the reg is moved forward but that gets it off the little metal shelf and I would feel better if it was setting on something like an extension of some sort. My only thought would be with the eight inches more added, it kind of feels like a lot sticking out without something to hold it from flopping up and down?
And that gets back to how we each use the RV. We did the long term thing for a while and volunteered at parks, etc. for a while and I was always ready to leave when we got to the end of the agreement! I might be a little in between now and stay longer but a week is likely to be as long as we are in one place. That puts me into having looked at the extend a stay but not doing anything more than look!!
Life's a constant decision on what to do next!
Old 08-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I put a Sturgi-Stay on my 2014 31KE with no problems. I did need to relocate the regulator cover, but, no big deal. And I have been through maybe a half dozen 20 lb tanks in the last 3-4 months as I full time dealing with our divorce before I move next weekend.

Hint: in warmer weather, the red Pilot Out indicator for the water heater is your tank empty alert.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:35 AM   #7
Just Trying to Help

Richard-

This Web site has a picture of a shelf extension to hold the regulator in its new position:

Installing a Camco 59123 4 port brass tee (Extend-A-Stay)

Our coach's "tee" installation needed an extension, also. I made it out of ABS plastic sheet.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:42 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Mark - Thanks for the info and video link. I'm going to give the Camco a try. I like the look of the Sturgi brand but didn't like the quick disconnect feature.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

That King Starboard must be more coastal than I run but it also looks really expensive at $47 for a 12 X 27 piece! I have a piece of scrap 1/4" plex that will be my first try if we get to that point. The 1/2 might be nicer but maybe two layers of 1/4?
For our RV, the connection for a grill is not on the right side of the RV but we can ignore that.
Old 08-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Same here for us and the grill but I don’t care we have a table top grill. I’ve used white cutting boards for other projects. Very strong, can cut into shapes, drill holes and best of all cheap :-)
Old 08-17-2020, 03:46 AM   #11
Just Trying to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelm130 View Post
I'm going to give the Camco a try. I like the look of the Sturgi brand but didn't like the quick disconnect feature.
For completeness, here is a link to a Sturgi-Stay kit without the quick-connects. Except for the plastic cap on the tee's grill connector, it's similar to the Camco kit.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Well I didn’t realize the made one without the quick disconnect. Oh well the Camco is on order.

Thanks all for inputs!
Kelm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I went out and looked and it appears to have the eight inches needed for it to be tucked in if the reg is moved forward but that gets it off the little metal shelf and I would feel better if it was setting on something like an extension of some sort. My only thought would be with the eight inches more added, it kind of feels like a lot sticking out without something to hold it from flopping up and down?
Richard, after watching the video it looks like the plastic cover over the regulator does not provide any real support to the regulator. Seems like the regulator could easily flop around. I agree that I would feel better if it had better support. The extension means the weight of regulator is further from the on/off valve and putting additional stress on that valve. That being said, I am sure there are a very large number of RVs driving around with extensions like that and the gas turned on while driving.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote