Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2016, 07:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2015 Journey Newbie...help with a few gremlins

Hello,

We just purchased a 2015 Journey 36M. Unfortunately we purchased it out of state and the dealer didn't really provide a thorough walkthrough.

Two major issues are:
- can't seem to get the generator to start, wondering if the process is different from my previous gasser
- couldn't get my steps to retract when we were closing her up for winter.

I'm sure it's something simple and we are just not familiar yet. Hoping you folks can point us in the right direction. Thanks in advance!!!
Regards,
Mac
KJMac69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On my rig there are three places to start the genset: two switches inside and one switch on the genset itself; I think yours should be similar. Look at the genset there should be a switch that has three positions: start, run, and stop.

Try starting using the switch on the genset itself. Then you will know whether it is a genset problem ... or a switch problem.

If it does not start there should be a light that flashes a fault code.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Make sure your coach has plenty of gas. Most generators are set up so that if the gas in the tank is less than 1/4 (varies by coach) the generator will shut off so you can make it to a gas station.

For the steps there should be a switch by the door turning them off and on.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Yes, if you are coming from a gas RV the diesel gen is slightly different, as there is a bit of a delay compared to gas gens. The glow plugs need to heat before the gen will start, and in some cases you need to prime it first. If your gen switch has a light on it, hold the "stop" side of the switch down; the light should blink for a few seconds and then go solid. When it goes solid, hold the "start" side down until you hear it crank; could take anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds or more depending on how cold it is. If it cranks but doesn't start, then perhaps an issue...

Now your steps; there is a switch by the door labeled "Step" which controls the automatic feature of the steps. If it is set to "On" then the steps will be in automatic mode and they will extend/retract with the opening/closing of the screen door. If "Off" then it's disabled. So in normal use you would have it "On" and then open the door; the steps extend. Leaving the door open switch to "Off." Now the steps should stay out regardless of the door (except for the ignition key safety retract.) So by leaving it in the "On" position, when you close and lock the door for Winter the steps should retract.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

thanks to everyone for the replies...it was very cold the day I went out to start up the generator and take some time to "discover" some of the differences in our new coach. I probably didn't wait long enough with the toggle switch. It blinked a few times and I thought I waited for it to go solid before pressing the toggle. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and take another peek. Thanks again everyone...I'm sure there will be more questions along the way!
KJMac69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Yes, if you are coming from a gas RV the diesel gen is slightly different, as there is a bit of a delay compared to gas gens. The glow plugs need to heat before the gen will start, and in some cases you need to prime it first. If your gen switch has a light on it, hold the "stop" side of the switch down; the light should blink for a few seconds and then go solid. When it goes solid, hold the "start" side down until you hear it crank; could take anywhere from 5 to 15 seconds or more depending on how cold it is. If it cranks but doesn't start, then perhaps an issue...

Now your steps; there is a switch by the door labeled "Step" which controls the automatic feature of the steps. If it is set to "On" then the steps will be in automatic mode and they will extend/retract with the opening/closing of the screen door. If "Off" then it's disabled. So in normal use you would have it "On" and then open the door; the steps extend. Leaving the door open switch to "Off." Now the steps should stay out regardless of the door (except for the ignition key safety retract.) So by leaving it in the "On" position, when you close and lock the door for Winter the steps should retract.
"Bingo" on both points I remember having the same problem trying to start the generator on our first diesel. 36M is a great model. Enjoy!

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

One thing to remember is that the door steps (and slides) operate off the chassis batteries - not the house batteries. The chassis batteries are charged when you are on shore power by the Trik-L-Start which provides only a small amount of power compared to the charge they receive from the alternator when the engine is running. You really want to minimize stair usage for that reason when parked. Winn also advises you to run the engine when deploying the slides to minimize the drain on the chassis batteries. Knowing this will help you better understand your coach's electrical system.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, newbie