Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2015 Journey 42E questions

I am looking to upgrade from s 32' gas Newmar tithe 42 E. Is there anything I need to look for before buying. I will check tires look at service records
StuartCaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCaw View Post
I am looking to upgrade from s 32' gas Newmar tithe 42 E. Is there anything I need to look for before buying. I will check tires look at service records
Nice floorplan!!

Probably not an issue on 2015 yet, but check caulking at lower rolled edge of roof. Caulking is all that holds that fiberglass sheet down, and if enough of it deteriorates you can loose that roof in the wind. push in on the fiberglass and see if it separates from the trim. If so, it needs recaulked.

Schwintek slides on the street side, . It is what it is. Make sure they work smooth and don't bind. Mine were replaced with the stronger ones you probably already have on a 2015. The 2017 has a new brand.

Bed retracts and interlocks with the slide - make sure that all works. Bed has to be up to retract slide, and slide needs to be out to extend bed. (another schwintek product). My interlock micro-switches kept busting, so I bypassed them all.

Slide locks are visible in the closet, and in the cupboard for the full wall slide (black plastic box at ceiling). If the outside weep holes get plugged, water will come inside around those boxes. Check for water stains around there and at floor below.

My fridge water solenoid was actually frozen and busted and the Dealer ignored it. Turn on the ice valve under the sink and make sure there is water to the inside dispenser and water isn't flowing behind it. . Also, you'll probably find the ice maker is fed downstream of the filter under the sink, meaning the ice is double filter (triple actually if you count the wet bay). Easy fix if that annoys you.

Slide out pantries are nice, but latches are not a great design. If cupboard door isn't open all the way the pantry hits the latch and bends it and scratches or dings the wood. Make sure the plastic latches work and hold the pantries in or they come out on travel.

All of those dumb little "L" plastic latches on the sliding doors, wash machine doors, etc break easy. If broken, check for damage of the door or drawer as they really fly around while driving.

It if has the King Dome, turn it on and make sure it locks onto something (steady light, red or green). Ours did not work at all and we had to replace it (flashing red - no lock). I think you can test it without a satellite receiver inside. It should still lock on satellite.

The 4X4 matrix system should come on and show steady blue and red lights. You should get DVD home screen at all the TVs selected. If not the 4X4 matrix or power supply may be bad.

Check awning and slide awnings for stretching or in need of adjustment.

And that's what we learned since May Little stuff really and not all of this happened to us - some was just picked up here on the forum for the 42E Meridian/Journey - overall its been a great performer.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the info and what to check out.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

If it has Schwintek slide actuators that haven't been upgraded, run away fast. They are very trouble prone. Just do a search on this forum or any other.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Do you have one in mind? They replaced the troublesome Schwintek slide system in mid 2015. One continuing issue is he power supply for the 4x4 HDMI switch. You can search for more info on forum. Other than those 2 issues nothing else seems to plague this model in large numbers. I am 2 years and 15k miles in and no big issues. Check the service records if used and try everything. Long test drive, test ALL systems.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

How can I find out if the coach has Schwintek slide mechanism other than taking the word of the salesman?
Old 08-26-2016, 05:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes I am going to look at Saturday morning
Old 08-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #8

The Schwintek systems are on the street side, and look like what I show below. On mine there is a smooth plate that covers where the old track was when repaired I believe. If the unit happened to have been sent to the factory for a rework in the last year - These track will be gone or covered, and there will be a thin gear track that stands out away from the side about an inch. That is the updated Power Gear system I believe.

The full wall slide will have the large tracks underneath like the second picture, and no Schwintek tracks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schwintek.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	137188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pics at purchase-019.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	137189  

Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags