Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2015 Itasca Sunstar kitchen vent and slide noise

Just picked up this new RV 2 weeks ago and am trying to minimize road noise. The outside flapper from the kitchen vent flaps like crazy, does anyone have any suggestions, keep in mind the outside is about 8 foot to the vent.
The 2 front slides make a loud squeak/crack noise by the top slide track. I sprayed slide lube on the area and will see if that works this weekend. Any ideas on this.
RVHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Let the dealer know ASAP, sounds like the side wall needs to be enlarged slightly to stop the noise. As far as the exhaust vent above the stove I have no answer. See if you can examine another unit to see if there is a difference. You may try adding some foam tape to the flap so it will be much quieter.
Dou you have any other vents or windows opened with traveling? If not you may want to crack a roof vent to help with the excess pressure.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Slide squeaks seem to be normal but certainly not acceptable. I have been to Forest City twice to have it looked at. First time for a looks loo the second time for two days work. Drove from Seattle for the appointment. Two day repair lasted a week. Am booked in again August.......

The vent rattle is plaguing me as well. Forest City just shrugged. I have found on line a vent with a manual lock clip, but that is operated from the outside of the RV, not perfect, but then found one operated by a solinoid which looks ok, but the slide sqeek/rattle from the left front slide, ie a foot or two from my left air has got so bad that the vent rattle is ignored!

If you figure out a fix please let me know.

Pete

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Slides.... No clue.

Kitchen vent.... Yes! The vent has a black fabric "flap" intended to keep air from flowing in to the vent. Suspended from the top edge. There is a plastic rod glued to the bottom edge designed to "weight" the flap and keep it closed. It extends beyond the edge of the flap to keep it from sucking into the opening. Air from the fan will hold it open. So far ... So good.

Increases in air pressure inside the RV or negative pressure outside cause the flap to open and close. The noise is caused by the plastic rod beating a tattoo on the plastic frame as the flap rapidly opens and closes with changing air pressure.

No satisfactory replacement....stop looking.

Crow hack & Cheap fix.... Take a yard stick and a fuzzy "Swiffer." Gently stuff the Swiffer into the vent being careful to put it between the plastic hood and the flap. It's polyester and weathers well. Looks weird... works great...

Like the vents with a locking flap....just remember to remove it when you use the vent.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Update on slides noise

I googled Lippert slides and found a youtube video from the mfg on lubing the slides so I bought the specific lube brand they recommended and we went for a drive this weekend [about 30 miles] and it was SILENT
What upsets me the most about this whole episode is I contacted Camping World dealer and it would be 3 weeks for an appointment and I would have to leave it for several days he never suggested lubing the slides . As far as the side vent I am going to try a thin self stick foam or vinyl weatherstrip to minimize the noise. Here is the email from Winnebago.

Chuck,

We would advise you to your Winnebago Industries, Inc. Authorized Service Center to get the slideouts looked at, possibly they can try a lube spray that is recommended by the manufacturer of the slideout mechanisms to help with the noise. Another scenario that will help with the customer that have complaints with the noise from the slideouts has been to use travel rods.
RVHERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This worked for me

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The factory replaced my rails with heavier ones and then they squeaked behind the drivers seat on the way home. I thought, here we go again. Then I thought.... I'll get my phillips screwdriver out and try to tighten the screws on the rails. I found many of them loose, some never tightened tight, just kept turning, some did get tight. And... That solved the"floor" squeaks. gone....The I tried to tighten all the phillips screws I could find/see. Many didn't tighten tight. My question is should I remove the loose screws and apply loctite to the holes and rescrew the screws in or try the toothpick trick to tighten the screws? Maybe I should call the factory to see if they are suppose to be loose?

Tags
itasca, noise, slide, vent