Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
2014 Tour 42GD

2014 Tour water pump

The water pump does not come on when I press the switches. The switches light up but no pump. Connections at the pump look good.
Is anyone familiar with this system? I can't find the circuit breaker panel that controls the pump but also I don't think the light on the switch would come on if the breaker was tripped.
trower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Team

There are very few reasons a RV water pump wouldn't pump. You can of course put a voltage meter on the pump wiring and confirm it has power.

What brand of pump is it? There should be a label, perhaps ShurFlo? Look for the brand and model number and look at YouTube. There are LOTs of water pump repair videos.

If it has power, and the motor won't run, you can buy a replacement on Amazon for about $130 usually. Installation is a quick 30 min project. But be sure you have power to the pump before going there.

You can even remove the pump and connect pos and neg wires and connect to a 12v source and see if it runs. Lots of ways to test the pump itself.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Some more info on exactly which Rv will help pin it downmore but then some info on what and how it acts may also be a clue. Was it running and on a trip and suddenly no water coming or is this a first trip of the year after storage? Things can go wrong after storage or as we reboot fo a year and we may fail to get some vale opened correctly.
More info on how it fails? Does it not make any sound or is it just that water doesn't flow? No sound may mean an electrical problem but if it is the other, perhaps a plumbing problem.
Would not expect it to be a total motor failure without giving a big smell as the wiring melted, etc.
On one of the models, I see a breaker panel with three rows of seven each row and the center bottom one listed as lamps/pump. Sound like the right panel for your coach? Might check that one, if I happened to get the right drawing of several.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I just have to put this out there.
No water in tank, no pump sound whatsoever. Light comes on and then nothing.
Check fresh water tank.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trower View Post
The water pump does not come on when I press the switches. The switches light up but no pump. Connections at the pump look good.
Is anyone familiar with this system? I can't find the circuit breaker panel that controls the pump but also I don't think the light on the switch would come on if the breaker was tripped.
Totally different vehicle, but on mine there's a in-line 12 volt fuse on the line running to the water pump, within a foot of it. I wouldn't even know about it but for winterizing because a panel has to be removed to see it. I suspect it's something the pump manufacturer adds, because there's zero reason for a fuse at that point in an electrical line.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
2014 Tour 42GD

My avatar says what coach I have. The pump was working fine and then it wasn't.
That is a good idea to check with volt meter. I will do that. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
My avatar says what coach I have. The pump was working fine and then it wasn't.
That is a good idea to check with volt meter. I will do that. Thanks.
Sorry I missed that as I am used to seeing the info in the signature. Maybe the mods need to build a form to have each of us fill in to get complete info before we ask questions!
Not really as it is on us to use the platform as built.
Info that tell us whether it is a plumbing issue or electrical can often cut to the better advice quicker.
When checking for voltage we can still get bad info as it may be a case where the power is out but a fuse has blown due to the impeller being jammed!
Old 03-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
My avatar says what coach I have. .
Most (nearly all) put that info into a Signature and that's generally where most folks look for that information. So, you should expect that folks will not look there to find that info about your RV.

Also as an FYI... your coach details are in the "Postbit" section (that's what that area is offically called) however, an Avatar would be a photo or image in the Postbit along with your username. Again, just a FYI of useless information.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #9
2014 Tour 42GD

That is a question I also have is where is the breaker or fuse located. I have found 2 circuit breaker boards but neither have the pump listed.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
Site Team

Since I've not owned a Tour I can't answer the whereabouts of a fuse. Though there should be one - but also it would be unusual for it to blow.

I spent a bit of time looking over the 2014 Tour 42GD wiring diagram. On the fuse charts I couldn't find any that were for the water paump. However, I found a reference to the water pump control and it references a sub-drawing (AE) that shows some connections - but no fuses.

I've captured those screenshots and I'll attach them below. They mean nothing to me, but may mean something to you (that second image is the "Detail AE")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.07.15 PM.png
Views:	78
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	173135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.07.32 PM.png
Views:	73
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	173136  

Old 03-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #11
Site Team

I looked at the wiring diagrams again and found the "Pump" fuse on the main 12v fuse panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump.png
Views:	78
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	173138  
Old 03-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

That's what I was describing as three rows of seven with the bottom center fuse being the one for the pump. We would have to check to be sure but that does seem to be what the drawings say.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #13
2014 Tour 42GD

Hey thanks guys that is a great help. Circuit breaker was fine so I removed the panel and voltage tested the wire to the pump and found 12v. So I removed the pump ( cleaned the screen while I was there) and bench tested it and it worked fine. Checked several times with no issue. I reinstalled the pump and it works just fine. No idea why it quit working. I can't imagine that a particle made it through the screen and jammed the pump. Crazier things have happened. I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks a lot.

Tags
water, water pump