Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-19-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014 Tour w/ HDMI 4x4 Matrix Switch Splitter - Gen 2

FYI. After 1 year in service, my HDMI box stopped sending output signals to my televisions. I discovered that the source of the problem was the HDMI box after an exhausting process of elimination. I called Winnebago tech support. They acknowledged that they've been hearing about this problem and they advised that I contact the mfg-Pace International. I called Pace and got a very prompt return call from their tech support. I described the problem and he immediately knew the issue - a malfunctioning power supply component. The HDMI box's DC power is provided by the box's 120VAC power supply component. The tech said Pace is having a lot of problems with their power supply units and the problem is the units malfunction and do not provide sufficient DC voltage to the HDMI box in order for the box to "push" the signals to the TVs (if I recall correctly, he said the box requires something better than 6 volts but the malfunctions power supplies are providing something less than 4 volts). He also said Pace is redesigning the power supply to correct this problem. In the meantime, Pace is sending me a new power supply. Hopefully, this solves the problem. I wanted to pass along this info in case anyone else is experiencing this issue.
tmzulim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmzulim View Post
FYI. After 1 year in service, my HDMI box stopped sending output signals to my televisions. I discovered that the source of the problem was the HDMI box after an exhausting process of elimination. I called Winnebago tech support. They acknowledged that they've been hearing about this problem and they advised that I contact the mfg-Pace International. I called Pace and got a very prompt return call from their tech support. I described the problem and he immediately knew the issue - a malfunctioning power supply component. The HDMI box's DC power is provided by the box's 120VAC power supply component. The tech said Pace is having a lot of problems with their power supply units and the problem is the units malfunction and do not provide sufficient DC voltage to the HDMI box in order for the box to "push" the signals to the TVs (if I recall correctly, he said the box requires something better than 6 volts but the malfunctions power supplies are providing something less than 4 volts). He also said Pace is redesigning the power supply to correct this problem. In the meantime, Pace is sending me a new power supply. Hopefully, this solves the problem. I wanted to pass along this info in case anyone else is experiencing this issue.
I have read that the PS on these boxes are "flaky". On my 6 month old MH I am having issues with the TV in the bedroom when on DVD...it will cut out/in a few times...aggravating...plus I hooked up a Roku player on the 3rd input of the Matrix box and it won't connect up in the bedroom but is fine on the external TV and lounge location.
Will have to wait until we get back home in a month to bring it in to fix along with a number of other issues I have.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Update. I received the new power supply this morning from Pace and it solved my problem. All TVs work fine from all devices. Pace Ind was very helpful (Matt in mobile tech support is A+). I will say I was disappointed in the ugly rats-nest of AV wires I found behind the removable AV panel (my controls contractor would have had a conniption fit for sure). I guess Winnie isn't much on sanitary wire installations.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

HDMI 4x4 Matrix Switch

Although I hadn't posted a question about this problem, this thread led me to Pace and I found them very helpful. They sent out a new power supply at no charge even though my MH is 2 1/2 years old when the problem developed. I have seen no further problems since the power supply was replaced. The telephone number for Pace Electronics is 800-444-7223. I called Winnebago since there is more than one Pace Electronics.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmzulim View Post
Update. I received the new power supply this morning from Pace and it solved my problem. All TVs work fine from all devices. Pace Ind was very helpful (Matt in mobile tech support is A+). I will say I was disappointed in the ugly rats-nest of AV wires I found behind the removable AV panel (my controls contractor would have had a conniption fit for sure). I guess Winnie isn't much on sanitary wire installations.
Question for you on this: Was your symptom the fading blue lights? I've had issues in the past where the lights were just fine, but the TVs could not see the HDMI input. Everyone else that has had power supply issues talked about fading blue lights.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpend View Post
Question for you on this: Was your symptom the fading blue lights? I've had issues in the past where the lights were just fine, but the TVs could not see the HDMI input. Everyone else that has had power supply issues talked about fading blue lights.

The first time l had to turn it off then back on often to get it to work.

This last time I turned the power switch on and all blue lights and the red power light would come on and then all lights would fade off.

When I removed the old power supply it was very hot.

Replacing power supply corrected the issue.

Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Factory replaced whole system two years ago on there " good will".
Was about 90 days past warranty. Started to have problems again this spring.
Called the mfg of the matrix. They also said it could be the power cord. I didn't see how as all lights lit up. They sent one ,replaced and all is good. Guess someone knew what they were talking about.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Troublehooting TIP for intermittent DVD output

Glad I found this thread because it lead me to the solution for our DVD viewing problem.

2016 Journey - Our bedroom TV would nearly constantly lose signal when viewing a DVD. Tried all the typical fixes - i.e. resets; turn on/off TV; and/or DVD player; and/or Matrix 4x4; etc. Nothing worked so I contacted Pace International and spoke with mobile tech, Jeff. He was both very helpful and courteous. He suggested that I first go to the DVD settings menu and go to "resolution" and switch it from "auto" to "1080i". Wahooo... it solved the problem!

Just passing on the nod for the fine customer service from Jeff, and something to try when things go ary

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I don't recall noticing any fading blue or red lights. My source inputs were not making it to the TVs
Lolly - Border Collie[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

My lights did not fade either. The bedroom TV was the first to drop totally and the front TV would come and go. Sometimes turning the Matrix off for a minute and then back on would help for a while. I bypassed the unit to the front TV with a 12' HDMI cable for about a week while making contact with Winnebago and Pace.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:05 PM   #11
Site Team

Resurrecting this old thread. I too am having issues with the Pace Electronics CT4x44V2-SWITCH HDMI 4 by 4 Matrix Switch. I’ll give them a call and see if a new power supply will fix the problems.

Currently only one input will display video, the others flash green screens on the TV. And the one working input is blinking/ fading the blue light when the input is active
Old 06-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yep, I've had 3 power supplies and have a spare.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
Site Team

After conversations with Pace Industries they don't think my problem would be fixed with a new power supply. They think the unit has failed. They were willing to try a new power supply to see if it helped, but they felt that it would simply prolong the problem.

They offered a brand new Matrix unit, with new power supply, that they felt would be the best and most expedient solution for $200. Winnebago wanted $575 for the part. So, this was a much better deal.

We stream all of our TV on the RV (and at home too) and use a Roku streamer connected to the SAT 1 input of the Matrix. I realize that it would be super easy to connect the Roku directly to the living room TV, buy a Roku "stick" for the outside TV and we already use a Roku Stick on the bedroom TV. And, it would cost less than $200 as well.

There are times when we are dry camping and don't have good cell data access and cannot stream at all. Heck, in those cases we can't use our phones at all either. And, yes, we have a cell booster (WeBoost Drive 4G-X). So, in those cases we use the OEM Blu Ray player/home theater through the Matrix. If we did away with the Matrix and connected Rokus at each TV and we wanted to watch Blu Rays we'd need a player at each TV as well. Which is also cheap but not really all that necessary.

So, the decision came down to ditching the Matrix all together OR spend $200 to replace the Matrix System. For the sake of future owners we decided to stay OEM spend $200 and replace the system.

Something I had not mentioned here is we've had problems with the Matrix well within the warranty period. The system stopped working in the Living Room pretty soon after buying the RV. But I replaced a HDMI cable and that fixed the problem. The Bedroom TV however had intermittent signal display problems all the time. After lots of testing on my part I simply put a small Blu Ray player under the TV and added a Roku stick and completely disconnected the Matrix receiver in the bedroom.

Had I contacted Pace back then I probably could have received a new unit under the 1 yr warranty. But I chose a simpler path to save hassle.

Once the new Matrix unit gets here, assuming that this fixes everything, I might convert the bedroom TV back to using the Matrix, again with an eye toward keeping the system OEM and functioning as designed. But I may not bother with it either. If the new Matrix doesn't fix the issue I'll return it for a refund and then abandon the whole system everywhere.

We don't have any plans on selling our much loved 2-year old Adventurer. It's working great and it suits us perfectly. After the initial first year problems were tackled we've had zero issues until the Matrix fully gave up the ghost. In fact it gets better each time we use it. Now at 21,000 miles it's a joy to own.

Sorry for the long winded post, I wanted to give everyone a full understanding of how we've proceeded and why.

PS. As to why the Matrix unit failed... It has to be the excess heat in that upper cabinet before I eliminated the problem with fiberglass insulation behind the cabinet interior.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #14
Site Team

Circling back on this topic - I received the new HDMI Matrix and surprise!... that did not fix the problem.

After a lot of testing of different inputs, and different HDMI cables, and on and on it turned out to be a problem with the receiver (officially known as a "balun") and that's all that I need.

My outside TV worked fine, so I removed the balun from that TV and put it in the living room TV location and that fixed all my problems.

I'm returning the $200 HDMI Matrix and buying a new replacement balun for $60. Winnebago, by the way, charges $560 for the Matrix and $145 for the Balun. So, do NOT buy your parts from them.

So, it wasn't the power supply. And it wasn't the Matrix box nor any of the HDMI cables. It was just that little receiver placed in the lower cabinet under the living room TV on the televator.

Here's what the Balun looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balun.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	171706  
Old 07-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Final return to this thread - the "balun" arrived yesterday and fixed all my issues.

So, if you've got the 4x4 HDMI Matrix installed in your Winnebago Class A and one or more of your TVs doesn't seem to lock into the signal from the Matrix box, and if the lights on your Matrix that indicate which device is being sent to which tv are flickering or not working. Then it could be your balun as shown above.

The specific issue I was seeing on the TV was black screen flashing green screens and the TV would show the input/resolution banner followed by the black screen, etc again.

Contact Jeff Gwinnell <[email protected]> at Pace International 1-800-444-7223 for help.