Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014 Meridian step well cover

A friend/neighbor in the resort has a 2014 Itasca Meridian 36M in which the step well cover has failed. I hear a brief noise when I push on the switch (in and out). If I disconnect the motor I get +12 if I push one way and -12 if I push the other way. With power connected, no voltage. We pull on the strap and the cover moves freely.

Motor bad I think... Am pulling it out to get the part number. Anybody else experience a similar problem?
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have just finished removing the whole bracket including the motor and a long threaded shaft. With motor removed I tried voltage on motor and no go, so motor bad. I put a drill on the shaft and it turns but is hard to turn, will clean and grease.

The motor is from Smith Richards, Inc and can be seen here:
12V Dc Motor
I am waiting to hear from them as to if they will sell direct. Otherwise it's the Winnie dealer...
Old 10-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

In your first post you indicated no voltage when wiring connected to motor if I read your post correctly. If that is true you may have a wiring issue, poor connection on ground or hot lead that goes to zero when you have a load on the circuit.

If you checked the motor outside the step wiring with a known good power source and ground and the motor does not run, then I would agree you probably have a bad motor, but the no voltage when the motor is connected does not sound right. If the motor was loading the circuit to that degree, you should be blowing a fuse or something.

Good Luck,

David
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for comments David, yes I see I wrote no voltage when connected and full volts (+ or - 12v) when disconnected. I am not sure anymore, maybe I was not making a good connection with voltmeter with connector on...
And yes, in my next test I was connecting to a known good source, a battery.
Friend is now trying to get a motor.
Thanks again!
Old 10-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My local RV guru told me these motors are the standard motor for power windows in autos ... I can't remember exactly which one .. but it could be available from a local auto parts dealer
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Angry Intermittent step cover

[QUOTE=HHIDan;2800045]Thanks for comments David, yes I see I wrote no voltage when connected and full volts (+ or - 12v) when disconnected. I am not sure anymore, maybe I was not making a good connection with voltmeter with connector on...
And yes, in my next test I was connecting to a known good source, a battery.
Friend is now trying to get a motor.
Thanks again![/QUO

I have a 2015 meridian with the same problem. Its under warranty, dealer tried to fix but still intermit, kicking slide gets it going again. Like to be sure the replacement motor was the solution.
DickNiehues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Dick, I will not see this friend until the spring but am sure that motor was totally dead. I connected it directly to a battery... The step was sliding fine without the motor (no resistance). If you need to jerk the slide that points to a bad motor also.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar issue with the cover stopping in mid stroke or not moving at all. I Checked the screw drive and noticed the grease was dry and hard from the initial factory application. I wiped the old off and use some WD-40 and it moves freely now. I will apply some new grease when I get a chance as WD-40 tend to be a short lived lubricant on something exposed like the screw.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote