Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2014 Journey 42E

I'm in San Antonio, Texas and looking at pulling the trigger on a new 2014 Journey 42E and would like to talk to owners.

Martin
210-884-7112
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We had to take ours back for several minor repairs that should have been caught at the factory( ie backup camera not rocking,missing speaker cover). Be sure to do a good predelivery check. Other than that, it rides good,is stable and quiet down the road. Have heard complaints on slide motor but for us so far so good. Now if it would stop snowing I would have more experience and response
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Not a Journey but we have it's sister -- We are in Austin and got a 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M from Roz at Camping World in New Braunfels in January. We have had just a couple minor things. Be sure to do a thorough predelivery check and document all problems with photos and make sure it's written on the sheet you sign off on. Been on 3 week-long trips and loving it! If we can be of more help, PM us.

Best of luck and have FUN!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The above posts did a good job in advising you. I will just go on a bit deeper.

Get the book bag if you can and read all the manuals. Then, without the sales person around, just walk through the coach. Open and inspect ever cabinet inside and out. Look closely at the wood and trim finishes. Check all of the surfaces for defects. The factory is failing, big time, in QC. All these things can be fixed but get them done before you do a final commitment. With the sales person present have all of the systems operated. Jacks up and down a couple of times, slides in and out a couple of times, run water in the sinks and toilet. Set the generator to Auto start and turn on the A/C. The unit is not plugged in for this test. Read all the monitors and see that everything is known about the rig before you commit. After they fix what you find doing this procedure your punch list will be shorter when you return. Besides, if you still have your money in hand it makes a great carrot stick.

If quality was not such a issue I would never be this radical in my advise. Once all the bugs are worked out Winnebago products are worth having. Getting past most of the dealers just compounds the QC problems.

Last thought. That is a beauty of a coach.

Rick Y
Old 03-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
The above posts did a good job in advising you. I will just go on a bit deeper.

Get the book bag if you can and read all the manuals. Then, without the sales person around, just walk through the coach. Open and inspect ever cabinet inside and out. Look closely at the wood and trim finishes. Check all of the surfaces for defects. The factory is failing, big time, in QC. All these things can be fixed but get them done before you do a final commitment. With the sales person present have all of the systems operated. Jacks up and down a couple of times, slides in and out a couple of times, run water in the sinks and toilet. Set the generator to Auto start and turn on the A/C. The unit is not plugged in for this test. Read all the monitors and see that everything is known about the rig before you commit. After they fix what you find doing this procedure your punch list will be shorter when you return. Besides, if you still have your money in hand it makes a great carrot stick.

If quality was not such a issue I would never be this radical in my advise. Once all the bugs are worked out Winnebago products are worth having. Getting past most of the dealers just compounds the QC problems.

Last thought. That is a beauty of a coach.

Rick Y
Agree totally! And take your time and don't let them rush you. It is a beauty MH!!!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We love ours and know you
Will enjoy it. I had a number of issues but all were fixed. If you run into any problems send me a pm and I can give visit you detailed response. Like everyone has suggested test every switch, light, appliance, on it before you leave. They are all fixable.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had an odd issue with our 42E. The AC kept freezing up on humid nights. The dealer removed them for inspection and they were clogged with Styrofoam. They blew the loose stuff from the ducts.

Much better but still freezes up at when humid and about 70 degrees outside. I close front ducts and set front AC to run so dealer said it was an airflow issue. Recommended to set AC on HI at night and reset to AUTO during the day. No more freeze ups.

Owned 6 months, living in it 4 of them. All small fixable issues so far, getting dealer to fix is a different matter. No new issues since initial walkthrough and shakedown cruise. I think it has held up better than my house would after a 7000 mile earthquake.

I still keep fingers crossed when using slide. Met a few Tour and Meridian owners this winternwith that had kitchen slide issues, most were 2013 though.

One thing bugged me all winter though. How can they install 5.1 theater sound and mount the center speaker 4 feet to the right of the TV? Why even bother.

I would still highly recommend the 42E.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks, for everyone's input. We will know tomorrow if we get the deal done. Hopefully, we will be upgrading soon and we will use everything you guys have written.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
ferg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
We had an odd issue with our 42E. The AC kept freezing up on humid nights. The dealer removed them for inspection and they were clogged with Styrofoam. They blew the loose stuff from the ducts.

Much better but still freezes up at when humid and about 70 degrees outside. I close front ducts and set front AC to run so dealer said it was an airflow issue. Recommended to set AC on HI at night and reset to AUTO during the day. No more freeze ups.

Owned 6 months, living in it 4 of them. All small fixable issues so far, getting dealer to fix is a different matter. No new issues since initial walkthrough and shakedown cruise. I think it has held up better than my house would after a 7000 mile earthquake.

I still keep fingers crossed when using slide. Met a few Tour and Meridian owners this winternwith that had kitchen slide issues, most were 2013 though.

One thing bugged me all winter though. How can they install 5.1 theater sound and mount the center speaker 4 feet to the right of the TV? Why even bother.

I would still highly recommend the 42E.
You made my point about QC issues. That should have never happened. If they didn't clean the Styrofoam out correctly then they may have not connected or cleaned the drains. I have three tubes at the back of the coach that drain the water condensed by each unit. I have heard of these not being clear from the factory. I suggest that you pull the cover off each unit and check the drain tubes. Force some low pressure air down each drain tube and inspect the trap from the condenser to be certain it can pass water. If all is clear I would then call the A/C unit manufacture.

Please keep us posted.

Rick Y
Old 03-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg182 View Post
Thanks, for everyone's input. We will know tomorrow if we get the deal done. Hopefully, we will be upgrading soon and we will use everything you guys have written.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
It's tomorrow! Can't wait to hear.

Rick Y
Old 04-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Rick,
No response? I hope they are enjoying it.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hopefully everyone else is enjoying their coach.

Just put ours to sleep in storage for a few months.

Going cold turkey after being in her all winter is really tough.

Well that and no more palm trees, shorts or tee shirts...

And that 4 letter word... W O R K...
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We are doing just the opposite. Leave for an extended fl trip on Wednesday Been so long since we were in our coach. It seems like we just bought her
boba1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by boba1106 View Post
We are doing just the opposite. Leave for an extended fl trip on Wednesday Been so long since we were in our coach. It seems like we just bought her
Safe and happy trails. Don't forget to test EVERYTHING before you hit the road. Happy and safe trails.

Rick Y

Tags
journey