Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2014 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD, whadda ya think?

Greetings,
Been looking at a 42QD, wondering what you owners of the 2014 model think of it so far. Looks like a great coach, but haven't driven it yet etc.
I have a Newmar Canyon Star looking to move to Diesel. Ellipse looks to have a roomier interior than anyone else, lots more storage, etc.
But I also wonder about all the "Comfort Drive" hype, and rear vs side radiator debate too.
Any advice/insight is well appreciated. Thank you.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Side radiator makes it easier to access the engine and some say the engine gets cooler and cleaner air from a side radiator.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
Greetings,
Been looking at a 42QD, wondering what you owners of the 2014 model think of it so far. Looks like a great coach, but haven't driven it yet etc.
I have a Newmar Canyon Star looking to move to Diesel. Ellipse looks to have a roomier interior than anyone else, lots more storage, etc.
But I also wonder about all the "Comfort Drive" hype, and rear vs side radiator debate too.
Any advice/insight is well appreciated. Thank you.

I love the 2014 42QD. Sorry I can only speak for the 2013. Yesterday was our two year anniversary and would do it again. Drives absolutely amazing! I like the rear radiator.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Jesse do you do your own service? That's about the biggest concern that I have. Having someone else slept through my coach with oils and filters.
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I bought a new 2014 Ellipse in Sept and have had it on the road for a long weekend and one week long trip. The rest of the time it has been at the dealer getting the bugs worked out. I love the coach but getting it right has been frustrating at the least. It took a long time to get the entertainment system working- this is the system that takes inputs from satellite, cable, air antenna and home theater and provides output to any of the TVs. The pros for the coach is the Aqua-hot heating system and a good ride. I haven't had any major issues such as engine, transmission or slides so I count my blessings there. I'm headed to Fl on Tuesday so I hope everything works. Good Luck on whatever coach you pick.

Marty
2014 Ellipse
2015 Grand Cherokee
mwgettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle21 View Post
Jesse do you do your own service? That's about the biggest concern that I have. Having someone else slept through my coach with oils and filters.

Freestyle
I take my coach to Freightliner in Gafney Sc. and have them do the service. I am that impressed with the quality of their work. Many good friends on this site pointed that out to me and they were right on. The service is done from under the coach so no worries about oil in the coach.
Jesse
Old 12-30-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Jesse
Freestyle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I have done much of my own work since I started RVing. Changing oil is no big deal. Just a lot of it. I use Royal Purple oil. Getting the fluids check before you change is a good idea. Problems are found before they are costly. I happen to use Blackstone Laboratories. The transmission filters are not difficult either and the air filter is also a DIYer. I have not done the air dryer myself yet. I get the coolant and chassis greasing done at the shop. Oasis is the official Freightliner Custom Chassis service center.

Jesse is correct about Gaffney. They are great at telling you what is important and what is not. I think folks with a new tag will do themselves a favor by having the Freightliner factory do a chassis tuneup. They adjust the tag weight carrying and ride height according to your load.

My 40U is the little sister to the QD. We love our rig.

Happy trails and happy new year.

Rick Y
Old 12-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I have done much of my own work since I started RVing. Changing oil is no big deal. Just a lot of it. I use Royal Purple oil. Getting the fluids check before you change is a good idea. Problems are found before they are costly. I happen to use Blackstone Laboratories. The transmission filters are not difficult either and the air filter is also a DIYer. I have not done the air dryer myself yet. I get the coolant and chassis greasing done at the shop. Oasis is the official Freightliner Custom Chassis service center.

Jesse is correct about Gaffney. They are great at telling you what is important and what is not. I think folks with a new tag will do themselves a favor by having the Freightliner factory do a chassis tuneup. They adjust the tag weight carrying and ride height according to your load.

My 40U is the little sister to the QD. We love our rig.

Happy trails and happy new year.

Rick Y

Jerichorick, may I ask what a full Freightliner chassis tuneup maintenance cost.
Freebird1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Freestyle
I take my coach to Freightliner in Gafney Sc. and have them do the service. I am that impressed with the quality of their work. Many good friends on this site pointed that out to me and they were right on. The service is done from under the coach so no worries about oil in the coach.
Jesse
Maybe I meant to ask Jbmsr, the same question. May I ask what that cost?
Freebird1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird1958 View Post
Maybe I meant to ask Jbmsr, the same question. May I ask what that cost?

Sure!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420079362.147160.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	82281Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420079376.379469.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	82282
Happy New Year!!!
Jesse
Old 12-31-2014, 08:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Sure!Attachment 82281Attachment 82282
Happy New Year!!!
Jesse

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1420082779.556018.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	82283
Old 12-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

2014 Itasca Ellipse 42 QD, whadda ya think?

We love our Ellipse despite the list of issues over the last year. Our biggest issue being the Lippert slide-out problems. Most of the other issues were little nuisance issues, mostly failings in quality control on the assembly line or premature equipment failures. All were repaired under warranty and we are in good running order at this point. Overall, a great coach.

Our combined cost for Cummins engine and Frieghtliner chassis service at 10,000 miles was $1,400. We have had very good service support from all of the Cummins and Frieghtliner Service Centers over the last year, and we agree that Gafney is superb as well as having accommodations for overnight stays, to include 30A electric, and a dump station at no charge.

Chris & Deb - North Venice, FL - 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD - Toad: 2014 Jeep Rubicon
ChrisKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I do all my own work except for stuff like alignments or ball joints.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

One of the benefits of having any coach with a Freightliner chassis is the ability to take it to Gaffney for service. During the 8 years we had a DP on a FL chassis, we used them whenever we could and were always pleased with the work and the cost. I love my current coach but we miss being able to have service done there. Pat and her team are tops, IMO.

It is a shame, though, that Winnebago has chosen to build their flagship class A's (Ellipse and Tour) on a rear radiator chassis.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird1958 View Post
Jerichorick, may I ask what a full Freightliner chassis tuneup maintenance cost.
Mine was $1260 but they did some items I didn't want done. My error for not making it clear. The Gaffney center has a better hourly rate than the franchise service centers. Not paying labor on oil and filters saves a bunch. (They did my oil ). The air filter can be a bit of a hassle but is very doable.

You only need to do this service once every 3 or 4 years, depending on how much you drive. I don't go by the time factor. I feel it is overkill. If I were in very dusty (dirt roads) and dirty (salt & sand) conditions frequently I would reconsider my thoughts on this.

Tags
itasca