Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
Itasca Meridian 40U

Location: Southern AZ in the winter, Oregon and beyond in the summer.
2014-2016 Journey 36M Empty Weight

Researching the 36M, trying to learn the CCC. I know it is found on interior sticker but nearest 36M is 1000 miles. I can calculate the CCC if I know the empty weight. Could you please look on your sticker and report CCC to me or report empty weight? We are very interested in this purchase. Thanks. Dale
RVeCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

EDIT: The better idea is to get the person to photo the OCCC plate & GVWR (weights) on the RV you are interested in and email or text to you. The point here is that you can have two nearly identical RVs but different OCCCs. Note the words: 'nearly identical'. Little things like a painted exterior, slightly different generator, different drive train details, interior trim and decorations, accessories, different stabilizer system will lead to different OCCCs. So you really need to know the OCCC on the coach you are looking at....

Not really! Take the GVWR of the chassis & subtract the OCCC to get the 'curb' weight. Curb Wt is weight with full fuel, lubes, full LP, ready to roll. No water or wastes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight

GVWR - OCCC = Curb Weight

You can get GVWR from the internet adverts for the coach. Someone may look their OCCC up and post it. However, the OCCC is a variable #. OCCC depends on what has been added to the coach above the curb weight. Ex., If they put on a 40# sat dish and 40#s of water softener equipment, and another 20#s of other goodies, that would be added to the curb weight or, the reverse, subtracted from the OCCC.

GVWR - (Curb weight + anything added or attached to the vehicle) = OCCCnew

You must subtract the weight of occupants and fresh water in tank from the OCCC to get the payload. Waste waters doesn't count for some reason, only fresh water @ 8.34lbs/Gal. A person is 154lbs. LP is not taken out of the OCCC; it's added in the curb weight calculation.

The old, superseded, regulation using 'sleeping positions' to calculate passenger weight is no longer effective. It's passenger seating (safety belted) capacity x 154lbs.

Confusing.... They could have done better writing the regs....
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Itasca Meridian 40U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
EDIT: The better idea is to get the person to photo the OCCC plate & GVWR (weights) on the RV you are interested in and email or text to you. The point here is that you can have two nearly identical RVs but different OCCCs. Note the words: 'nearly identical'. Little things like a painted exterior, slightly different generator, different drive train details, interior trim and decorations, accessories, different stabilizer system will lead to different OCCCs. So you really need to know the OCCC on the coach you are looking at....

Not really! Take the GVWR of the chassis & subtract the OCCC to get the 'curb' weight. Curb Wt is weight with full fuel, lubes, full LP, ready to roll. No water or wastes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight

GVWR - OCCC = Curb Weight

You can get GVWR from the internet adverts for the coach. Someone may look their OCCC up and post it. However, the OCCC is a variable #. OCCC depends on what has been added to the coach above the curb weight. Ex., If they put on a 40# sat dish and 40#s of water softener equipment, and another 20#s of other goodies, that would be added to the curb weight or, the reverse, subtracted from the OCCC.

GVWR - (Curb weight + anything added or attached to the vehicle) = OCCCnew

You must subtract the weight of occupants and fresh water in tank from the OCCC to get the payload. Waste waters doesn't count for some reason, only fresh water @ 8.34lbs/Gal. A person is 154lbs. LP is not taken out of the OCCC; it's added in the curb weight calculation.

The old, superseded, regulation using 'sleeping positions' to calculate passenger weight is no longer effective. It's passenger seating (safety belted) capacity x 154lbs.

Confusing.... They could have done better writing the regs....
OLD CROWS: This is a great explanation and I'm sure helpful for anyone with a similar question. I would add (for the reasons you stated) the best way to learn the REAL OCCC is to take the potential empty purchase to the nearest weigh scale to learn the true "empty" weight and subtract that weight from the GVWR. The published OCCC on the sticker will NOT be correct again, for all the reasons you stated. I am just looking for a "starting point". Your suggestion to contact an advertised 36M for the report is something I will do but did not want to get a "conversation" started until I am ready to make the purchase (after doing all the research). I am currently following 10 units on RVTrader and 4 units at RVT.com, also searching online dealers and Craigslist near me. I have been full-time RV since 2006 so have experience with other RVs and their OCCC limitations. I once owned a 2004 Lazy Dayz whose CCC (the OCCC designation began in 2009) was only 1,500 lbs and I don't want to get into THAT limitation again! I'm just hoping someone in this forum can tell me an OCCC or empty weight to give me a "starting point" to work with. Thanks again, Dale
Old 10-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
2014 Journey 36M

Here are copies of the data stickers on my 2014 Journey 36M....shows about 4600 OCCC. Had it weighed a couple of times at Lazydays (where I bought it) with full fuel and LPG, 1/3 water, empty holding tanks, loaded for fulltiming, 150lb ea for spouse/me, and it was right at 29,500, (front 11,120/rear 18,340).

If my math correct this left us about 2800lbs under the 32,350 GVWR (-1230 front/-1660 rear). BTW, these figures also include a W/D and roof satellite dish.

Hope this helps. 36M is a good floorplan - ours has the sink/vanity in the bedroom, which we definitely preferred, especially while full timing, but don't think they offered that option in later models. We had a lot of production quality issues to work thru the first year or so, but still like the coach after 56k mi.

Hope this helps. BTW, saw your other post about input on the 36M and will contribute there later.

Good luck with your search!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_075031~2_resized.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	170409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_075028~2_resized.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	170410  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_075022~2_resized.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	272.7 KB
ID:	170411  
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:06 AM   #5
Itasca Meridian 40U

RMEdad: This is very helpful and the perfect answer to my question. I have more questions: During my research I came across 13 pages of slide problem discussions. It has made me VERY cautious to purchase a coach with the Schwintek slide mechanism. I assume you have had problems with yours. I am wondering if you have been able to upgrade the slide mechanism and at what cost. Perhaps we should NOT change the topic of THIS thread and you could "private message" me. Thanks. Dale
Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 AM   #6
2014 Journey 36M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVeCafe View Post
RMEdad: This is very helpful and the perfect answer to my question. I have more questions: During my research I came across 13 pages of slide problem discussions. It has made me VERY cautious to purchase a coach with the Schwintek slide mechanism. I assume you have had problems with yours. I am wondering if you have been able to upgrade the slide mechanism and at what cost. Perhaps we should NOT change the topic of THIS thread and you could "private message" me. Thanks. Dale
Agree - I'll send you a PM.
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Call Winnebago with the last 6 of the VIN. They will provide you a letter with the “as built” empty weight.
geneorpana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, weight