Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2014-15 Adventurer Sun Cruiser 38Q

I've been considering moving from a fiver to a class A coach. I have seen the 38Q gasser and am extremely impressed. Personally, I think it is one of the best floor plans I've ever seen......gas or diesel!
I've always snubbed gas rigs as a previous owner of a powerful diesel pusher. I've especially stayed away from current gas coaches as I've never been a Ford man. Its seems the Ford chassis has been beefed up over past chassis, however, I find it surprising that it is only a 5 speed.
I'd like to hear from those of you that have a 2014-15 Itasca/Winnebago 38Q.
Are you satisfied with the Ford power train?
What are your real world mpg figures AND under what conditions?
Finally, what about engine noise since you are sitting right over it?? As a former pusher owner, the cab of it was so quiet.
Thanks and safe travels, Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

OK I don't have that model but I do own a 2014 Sunstar 35F and recently completed an across the country trip in it pulling a 2014 Jeep Cherokee. I averaged 7.1 MPG but I was running pretty fast at times, 70-75. Best mpg's was when I set the cruise control at around 65 I got 8.5. As far as engine noise it is minimal except when you cause it to downshift to 3rd going up hill. It's best to knock off the cruise and push the skinny just enough to get to drop to 4th and feather it from there. Other than that I can say that Ford seems to gotten most of it right. The Tow/Haul, which should be called Hill Decent is exactly what these things need. Now if Ford would do something about the Rock Hard truck suspension they would have a world class chassis. Adding the diesel option would be great also.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'll try to address your questions. We have a 2014 38Q. We also were impressed by the floor plan. Lots of great features, like the heat pumps and the expanded engine cooling system that also heats the water in the Water Heater while traveling. No waiting for hot water when you stop for the night. In fact, we traded in a nine year old DP. We feel like we would have had to spend another 100K to get the same setup in a diesel. Figured we spend a lot more time living in it than driving it. Real world mileage is 6.5 here in the mountainous west. The engine (actually clutch fan?) screams when you put your foot in it but it climbs the hills with no problem. Even while towing a Honda CRV. We had driven the DP mostly in summer and used the roof air with the genset running so noise under foot wasn't too much of an issue. We have had warranty issues with the leveling system, all three slide outs and the HDMI switching component. All have been repaired. Still leery of Lippert's Schwintek In-Wall slide system. The Power Gear slide (now owned by Lippert) also was installed wrong at factory. The Ideal Rest bed is OK and the stacked washer and dryer is very convenient. All that being said, we like the rig and hope it serves us for a long time.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Also might want to look at Newmar's Canyon Star 3914. Similar floor plan. Understand similar quality. Some say higher priced, others lower. Currently our top 2 high end gasser picks. For a lot less money but nice floor plan too, look at the FR GT 378XL Black Diamond series.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I did look at the Newmar Canyon Star, as well. The Georgetown is actually a very nice layout and packed full of features and a 2015 can be bought for $100k or maybe even slightly under! That is loaded with all they offer, too. However, a quick on-line search of the brand is lots of posts about roofs leaking badly, odor in new rigs from saturated roofs, and awful customer service from Forest River. That does not bode well! Good looking rig for a decent price and built on the same Ford chassis. I wonder how wide spread the quality issue are? Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have the Vista 35b but the power train and chassis are the same. Trip to Florida from NY this past spring we averaged 7.2 for the trip. Once I installed a track bar on the rear suspension it handles great in the wind. Drove through a super cell that was producing tornados coming up 95 and it held the road great. I have noticed that with a full load a fuel (water about 3/4) that the front end feels light but once you are down to 3/4 tank it is great. The noise is what you would expect being a front mounted engine but unless like mentioned above when climbing it really isn't bad. I have no problem hearing my son when he hollers from the back for a snack!! We went with this Vista because of the bunk beds so if you like the floor plan you are already half way there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I just watched this video.
Link

Due to the slide on the curb side only a 14' awning on a 38' coach. I guess it depends on how much you like the outdoors.

Love the window in the back of the bedroom, I wish we had more light in our bedroom.

With the pull out island / sink I wonder how the height effects when you wash dishes ? How much lower is that then "normal" counter height? Might be a issue for someone who is taller.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Palms,

I would disagree with you as there in no comparison between a Winnebago and a Newmar as the Winnebago wins hands down.

Go to Forest City and take a tour you will be impressed with how it is made plus Winnebago makes their own components other than appliances. If you own a 15 year old WBGO and need a fresh water tank they have it. Plus you can get electrical, plumbing and parts manual for your coach.

Their service consultants are great and can help you over the phone.

Take a look at the floor of Newmar's compartments and then look at Winnebagos.

Enjoy and have a Merry Christmas!
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The awning on the 38Q is attached to the Galley slide out. Our old DP only had the one slide on the driver side so the awning was 17 ft, I think. I find that a 14 footer is adequate. Don't see how any rig with a passenger side front slide could have a really long/wide awning. The slide would prevent that. Maybe a full wall slide......
Old 12-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
The awning on the 38Q is attached to the Galley slide out. Our old DP only had the one slide on the driver side so the awning was 17 ft, I think. I find that a 14 footer is adequate. Don't see how any rig with a passenger side front slide could have a really long/wide awning. The slide would prevent that. Maybe a full wall slide......
My 37F has an awning which is longer than the front PS slide-out. In fact, it covers the entire slide-out and the entry door between the two PS slide-outs. They just mounted the awning above the front slide-out "topper".
Old 12-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The problem I had with the slide under a full length awning is you loose about 2 feet of awning depth. With the awning on the slide you still get the full depth. 14 foot by 8 feet is plenty big.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Plus with the 38Q you have a door awning. Very rare for a gas coach.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I too have been comparing the 38Q to the Newmar 3914 and I find a lot to like in both coaches. We're not small people so if anybody can tell me what the shower size is in the Winnie, I'd really appreciate it. All the online literature I can find just refers to it as BIG (capital letters always). I suspect a marketing ploy not to get people too interested in just how big/small it is. The Newmar's shower is 30x36, and just looking at the Winnie's floorplan I suspect similar. Anybody know for sure?

And I really like the Newmar's long awning that covers the door. I think that might be more useful than a tiny one over the door and the bigger awning aft of that.
klebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 10:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Shower in the 38Q is only 24 by 34. It also has a bi-fold door that causes you to press back against the back wall to open the door. Works well enough but you certainly can't save water by showering with a friend. The awning on the slideout is a little strange but the over door awning actually is very functional in the rain. Our last rig was a diesel pusher that had a 36 by 38 shower with an outward opening shower door. It was plenty large enough for a 5' 9" 290 lb. guy to turn completely around in. You have to find what is the most livable for you, for sure. We spend much more time living in than driving these rigs.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:47 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

24x34 definitely won't do for us and will be a deal killer. Now I understand why Winnie doesn't post the numbers in its brochure. That is embarrassingly tiny. Thanks for the info.
klebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Question for the 38Q. How big a deal would it be to remove the washer dryer from the coach? The extra closet would be preferable to some folks.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by klebs View Post
I too have been comparing the 38Q to the Newmar 3914 and I find a lot to like in both coaches. We're not small people so if anybody can tell me what the shower size is in the Winnie, I'd really appreciate it. All the online literature I can find just refers to it as BIG (capital letters always). I suspect a marketing ploy not to get people too interested in just how big/small it is. The Newmar's shower is 30x36, and just looking at the Winnie's floorplan I suspect similar. Anybody know for sure?

And I really like the Newmar's long awning that covers the door. I think that might be more useful than a tiny one over the door and the bigger awning aft of that.
As I read the Winnebago brochure, the "BIG shower" is shown on the diagram for the 37F only, not the 38Q.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
Question for the 38Q. How big a deal would it be to remove the washer dryer from the coach? The extra closet would be preferable to some folks.
Anyone?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUGHP View Post
Anyone?
IMO, removing such appliances should be no big deal UNLESS they won't fit thru the entry door. If that were true, then you are looking at removing the outer cabinet of the appliance, or shoving them out the windshield, after it is removed.

The plumbing will likely be best left in place, so a future owner can have the option to replace the appliances, if desired. FWIW, both of our coaches had ONLY the W/D prep, not the actual appliances, and we have never missed them.

Tags
vent