Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #81
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesMc View Post
I just joined irv2.com because I found this thread in an internet search. This thread is years old now so I don't know if anyone will see my message. But I'm shopping for my first RV and have run across a 2013 Vista 26HE Rally for what seems like a reasonable price. My head is swimming with all the info on here about handling, etc. I know NOTHING.

But my question to those folks that have bought one of these similar, short Class A's: now, a few years later, do you still like it and would you recommend one to a complete newbie?

Thanks,
Jes
We've owned our 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE for about 9 months, 10K miles. The only issue is the "twitchiness" on a rutted road surface or if there is much wind. I'm convinced it is due to the short wheel-base/weight distribution. I am used to the handling now, but it does require your full driving attention during those conditions. The good side to the short wheel-base is the maneuverability. We pull a Chevy Tracker, and the Tracker almost exactly follows in the tracks of the rear wheels no matter how sharp the corner. Neal, 2013 Sunstar, toad 03 Chevy Tracker ZR-2
Buttercup987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:23 AM   #82
Winnebago Owner

Wow BrandonRV

Thats a big chance in performance from you entry in Dec, 2013. I wonder if something let go on the chassis. I have never experienced that sort of behaviour with our 26HE. But having said that I don't blame you with trading with that experience. To bad really.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:33 AM   #83
Winnebago Owner

Latest upgrades......

Installed a 2000 watt inverter in the bay just behind the door. Had a brake fabricated to mount the inverter on the top of the bay. Running a 400amp fuse as the inverter can handle surge to 4000. There are three outlets on the inverter, I am in the process of running two into the coach, one to a plugin beside the existing one by the sink, the second I will be running to the TV, BluRay player. The third I will leave vacant so use by outside power demands.

Looking at a 100watt solar panel for a future upgrade.

Take care all
OldTrooper
Old 02-14-2015, 02:19 AM   #84
Winnie-Wise

I really like my 26HE; however, we have had more problems with this motorhome than our last motorhome and previous trailer combined. It is currently at the dealer for repair.

My jack down light comes on even though the jacks are up. So far they have replaced the four return lines and will be replacing the power unit.

My slideout was making a clunking noise and would not seal against the inside wall. They have stopped the clunking noise (replaced unknown parts), but the slideout still does not seal against wall. They are having an "expert" look at it next week.

I have also had the city water valve leak and a sewer smell inside the motorhome. The sewer smell was an unsealed vent pipe to the black tank.

Lastly, I have had the motor replaced on the electric steps.

At this rate, I should have a newly rebuilt coach by the year 2020.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:24 AM   #85
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtrooper View Post
Wow BrandonRV

Thats a big chance in performance from you entry in Dec, 2013. I wonder if something let go on the chassis. I have never experienced that sort of behaviour with our 26HE. But having said that I don't blame you with trading with that experience. To bad really.
Yeah it took that long trip to convince me it wasn't for me. After I did the upgrades it was manageable especially the rear trac bar. Our trip took us through several large cities and that part was the worst because SUVs and Trucks speeding past me pushed me.

I also wasn't even aware how hard it was to drive in comparison. I switched to a heavier coach with a longer wheel base and it's soo much easier.

I'm picky that way though. If it weren't for the fact that I was so fatigued after driving it I'd have kept it. I liked everything else about it.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #86
Site Team

Still loving our 2013 26HE, which we actually bought in June 2012. Very few problems overall, and it handles really well in wind or when being passed by a big rig. One issue that seems common to all RV's with Lippert Jacks is that they can be touchy, in that the jacks down light and alarm can go off when they have actually been fully retracted. When we leave a site after a trip, we may have to "retract" them a few times before the light and alarm stay off as we travel home...some people have also had problems with the Slide mechanism, also made by Lippert. As a result, you might want an extended warranty just in case. However, we love the power of the drive train and the solid build of a Winnebago. They had to make some trade offs to get the price down on the 26HE, but for the most part, I agree with the choices and I'm very happy with the Motorhome.
Al
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #87
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
Still loving our 2013 26HE, which we actually bought in June 2012. Very few problems overall, and it handles really well in wind or when being passed by a big rig. One issue that seems common to all RV's with Lippert Jacks is that they can be touchy, in that the jacks down light and alarm can go off when they have actually been fully retracted. When we leave a site after a trip, we may have to "retract" them a few times before the light and alarm stay off as we travel home.....for the most part, I agree with the choices and I'm very happy with the Motorhome.
Al
It's taken me awhile but I think I have figured out what may be causing the many instances of the Lippert “Jacks Down” issue.

It helps me with an understanding of the operation and issues when I think of the Jacks Down indicator/alarm as a “All Jacks Not Up” indicator/alarm.

When the jacks are retracted, there are four valves involved as the pump powers the jacks to the retracted positions. When all four jacks have bottomed out in the retracted position, the pump's pressure actuates a pressure switch which extinquishes the “Jacks Down” indicator and turns off the pump.

I think the “Jacks Down” issue occurs when at least one of the four valves leaks which allows the pressure on the pressure switch to drop, setting off the alarm.

In my particular case, it is always one jack – the right rear – that is slightly extended after the alarm occurs. I thought I could outsmart the problem and drilled some holes in the foot plates that allowed me to (temporarily of course) strap all the jacks in the retracted position. Didn't work! I discovered that the offending jack wasn't extending from just gravity – it was being forced down for a small distance and would overwhelm the strap! This occurs even with the pump NOT running.

I am convinced the pressure that maintains the pressure switch actuated is what extends the jack a small amount when that particular valve leaks, also allowing the pressure switch to become un-actuated setting off the alarm.

In my case, and apparently in many cases it is intermittent.

My plan is to replace the valve that controls that jack.

Your mileage may vary.

Neal 2013 Sunstar 26he, 03 Tracker ZR-2
Old 02-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #88
Site Team

Best explanation I have heard so far. Thanks Neal. Please let us know if your solution is successful!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #89
Winnebago Camper

My vista has a similar problem. when I start the motorhome after it site a while I get the light and alarm but it clear itself in a few seconds. I looked at the jacks and the right rear is down about 1 inch before starting the engine but goes up after startup and stays up after I stop and check it.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #90
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy bill View Post
My vista has a similar problem. when I start the motorhome after it site a while I get the light and alarm but it clear itself in a few seconds. I looked at the jacks and the right rear is down about 1 inch before starting the engine but goes up after startup and stays up after I stop and check it.
It's not clear to me how this function works, but if a jack drops down after all have been retracted, it will (sometimes?) automatically retract the jacks again, but it seems to do this only ? times then it just sounds the alarm.

Neal, 2013 Sunstar 26he, 03 Tracker ZR-2
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #91
Site Team

In my case the light never goes on when I start up after the the RV has been sitting awhile if the jacks were already up. My problem is when I take off after they were down overnight for a trip. I retract them them and the lights down jack turns off. However, when I start to leave, the light goes back on and the alarm sounds. It may go off as soon as I release the parking brake, or wait till I start traveling down the road. To date, my solution is to manually extend and then retract the jacks...after a few tries, the light and alarm goes off for a final time and we can travel home in peace...
Old 02-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #92
Winnebago Camper

I check my jacks, whether I have used them or not, as part of my tear down procedure. This way, if the warning light comes on during start up, I know they are up. I just turn the control panel on and then off. Sometime I hear a noise for a few seconds that sounds like a jack retracting so I wait before turning the system off. The warning light always goes out before I can shut the panel off.

My dealer checked with Winnebago and Lippert but no definite solution was offered from either so my dealer then gave a very thorough check, both in the extended position and retracted position, as my rig was his first encounter with this problem. After all is said and done, it appears to be a ghost within the system that we have to live with.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #93
Winnebago Owner

Let start out by saying I really like my 26he doing the chf and adding a track bar has helped with the handling my only complaint is with the drivers seat it is not comfortable at all so my question to other 26he owners is your seat comfortable has anybody changed out their seat
Rmblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #94
Winnebago Owner

My wife doesn't like the passengers seat. I had to put a pillow in front of her. Her feet will not touch the floor properly. The seat is too high.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 AM   #95
Winnebago Camper

I have not changed mine but the drivers seat will not swivel. I need to shorten the cable. Need to be limber to do this and I'am not very limber.
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #96
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
Let start out by saying I really like my 26he doing the chf and adding a track bar has helped with the handling my only complaint is with the drivers seat it is not comfortable at all so my question to other 26he owners is your seat comfortable has anybody changed out their seat
when I changed out the bilsteins to koni shocks it made a world of difference. With the bilsteins sometimes I felt like my butt was dragging the ground, but when I went to the koni they were much softer and handled bump shock way more which in turn makes the seat not as bad.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #97
Winnebago Owner

We have our 26HE in the drive shed for the winter. It will be into May before we can get it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07254902.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	86899   Click image for larger version

Name:	02027459.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	86900  

Old 02-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #98
Site Team

Like the shiny RV in your drive shed! Here in CA it's been in the 70's the last few weeks...may you have warmer weather soon! :-)
Old 02-25-2015, 03:57 AM   #99
Winnebago Owner

Our weather is such that you know you will not have the motor home out until late May. Planting season is May 24 here and you can still get a frost after that.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:53 PM   #100
Site Team

Looks like you still have a ways to go, then. I guess I take it for granted that our camping is year-round. Have a great camping season after the thaw! :-)

Tags
winnebago