Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile 2013 Winnebago Journey - New Lighting Power Supply(s) For LED Bulbs

I changed all halogen miniature bulbs to 6000 "daylight" LED Bulbs about 2 years ago. I continue(about 10 or so) to have to change out due to flickering developing on one after another. I have read that this is due to a power supply not being for LED's being used. Can someone tell me if this is true and if so where on my 2013 Journey this or if more than one power supply they might be located and anything I might need to know to purchase and install what will get rid of the flicker and premature hangouts? Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks, cratchet50
cratchet50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Lots will depend on what halogen lights were used and what LED to replace them. If they were both 12VDC bulbs before and after, there is no other power supply involved except the coach batteries. There is a lot of confusion on LED light as many do not factor in that an LED is not the whole "Bulb" but each point of light is the LED and many are added together to form an array for the bulbs. So that creates confusion as how many LED used will determine how each set or array needs to be powered and wired internally. That can leave folks thinking there is a separate power supply somewhere like we might find in some lamps or fish tank lighting were we find far more different forms of lighting than we find in the normal "automotive " light LED bulbs. Since automotive is almost exclusively 12VDC, there is little incentive to design light or bulb for a car which requires a separate power supply. If an individual LED requires 1.8 volt to operate well, it is pretty simple to just wire a string in such a way that the right number of LED is used to get each the 1.8 and total 12! More a bulb design than any added supply.
So if you are getting poor use of LED and it is running on the normal 12VDc we find in RV, there is a chance you are not getting good quality bulbs. One way this may come about is that each bulb is rated for a certain amount of energy used and the amount of light it puts out, so there can be a temptation to design a bulb so that a limited number of LED are driven so hard that they fail too soon. Or there is always the chance of just getting a bad batch of bulbs.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, led, light, power, winnebago