Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2013 Winnebago Journey 42E Fuel over-flow issue

Hi there
Have a new Winnebago Journey 42E and every time I fill up at the truck pumps, the diesel burps and spills out on the paint. I have tried both side and same issue. I always run it on the slowest speed. Has anyone experienced this and figured out how to make it now make a mess?

Thanks
Paul & Debbie Potter
Currently in Yreka, CA
Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I Do not have personal experience or knowledge of your model coach, however if you are experiencing slow fill speed and "burping" the tank may not be vented correctly. I would look at the smaller hose that goes from the fill neck to the tank, it may have a kink in it.

Just a thought and a direction to look in.
good luck
Spence
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I had similar problem ...tank filling hose not routed correctly
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Fuel Over-flow issue

We have a 2012 Itasca Meridian. Same stinking issue. Open both sides of the fuel tanks with caps off and it still happens.

Our motorhome was new off the lot. Winnebago Quality control issues are on going with my rig. It has been to three different service centers for a total of 27 different issues. What a joke. Not likely to ever purchase another winnebago product. Ready to trade it in and am considering a number of other manufactures. Anyone have great respect for those in the $220K -$260K range?
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditto View Post
I had similar problem ...tank filling hose not routed correctly
What did they do to fix it?
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

There is no fix for the fuel filler hose routing. The hose does not have enough downward slant to the tank due to the position of the tank. The other issue is that for someone new to diesel fuel, diesel fuel foams a lot when pumped unlike gas which does not foam. The best thing to do when fueling is set the nozzle fill rate at a slower setting and as soon as you hear it start to gurgle stop fueling and wait a moment before restarting the nozzle and then at an even slower rate.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When we bought our Coach the gentleman told me that when filling it up "listen for a thud sound" (tank flexing) and shut off the pump, he was right as I tried to keep filling one time(slow) to see how much more it would take.......not much and out the fuel came. So now......I listen for the thud sound and it is full (fuel gauge also full mark) When a tank is full,foaming, and only 2-3' of fill hose to the tank it is not going to take long and it is coming out on the ground. Stink-ie also..... if you get it on you and go inside.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Freightliner ,though it was a Winnebago issue, adjusted the angle of the hose and that took care of the problem...sometimes I could only put 25 gallons in at a time and risk a diesel bath.
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

fuel over flow issue

And Winnebago wants us to feel OK about paying $200K+ for this type of problem. And they feel this is right? Way to go Winnebago.
Total BS
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago does not install the tanks, they are a Freightliner item. Winnebago has very little choice in where to put the fuel fill point based Freightliners tanks design, fill opening, and mounting place on the frame.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Fill up at the Flying J RV Island. Pumps there pump slower.
Gives you plenty of time to wash the windshield while pumping.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I tried filling our '04 MH @ the truck pumps only once, had the same problems as almost everyone else has had, backflow.
I looked @ the semi's fuel tanks and tried to find a solution. Most of them are pumping their fuel into a big tank without any fill hose to the tank, thus, no place for back-pressure.
I now fill @ the RV/car pumps, where the fill nozzle is much smaller and the flow is not so great.
Good Luck,
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have the same filling problem being discussed here. I have tried most of the same things tried by all of you. Mine works OK until the last 25 gals and it is a chore for me so I also try to find the smaller and slower diesel nozzles.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:09 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

This is not just a truck stop issue with high speed pumps.
Diesel pumps at gas stations also do the same on my 2012 36G.
I tried opening other side and it just burped out both sides then.
I just shut off when I hear the filler start to gurgle.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

This is a common problem on boats as well, twenty years in the boat yard business. Like others have mentioned you have to listen for the gurgle, also have a close estimate on how many gallons you'll need, time helps knowing your fuel consumption vs. fuel gauge when fueling. No matter what sometimes I screw up and overfill, just be sure to use soapy water to rinse the fuel off that expensive polyurethane paint!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Here is my experience with this issue. My '05 Vectra was a bear to fill, especially at the big rig pumps. The last 20+ gallons were nursed in. The venting was terrible.

Now on this coach filling time is great. The vent system is just what was needed. The new problem is with the slope of the fill tube. It is shallow. As soon as the foaming starts in the tube it is too late. We are wearing it. I have not been able to prevent this from happening yet. I have only been able to anticipate the event by gestimating the amount of fuel I need and slowing down the flow when I think I am approching topoff.

I wish I could give you a better answer but it is what it is. There is no real harm to the paint. It is only oil. Just wipe it clean and re-wax when you can.

I hope someone comes up with a better plan. Mine works...sometimes.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 12-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

On my 2006 Journey 36G I had the same filling problem until I started turning the pump fill nozzle on its side so that the fuel is being squirted down stream of the hose connecting to the tank. Now I can fill my tank with the pump nozzle set on high until I hear the fuel starting to gurgle and then I slow it down.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Perhaps the connecting hose is not the only issue. My 2000 Ultimate Freedom, on a Spartan chassis, has no hose. It has filler caps directly on extensions (both sides) of the fuel tank, and will not accept fuel flow from a wide-open nozzle, though I need 80+gallons to fill, even at the RV pumps or Murphys at WalMart, without tripping the backflow device in the nozzle. It does help me to open both filler caps though.
FWIW, I can pump another 10 gallons if I allow the foam to settle and go reallly slow with the nozzle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The freightliner message/information display has at least three "trip" timers.
I reset one at each fill-up and then use it to track how much used/to put in.
Its much easier to slow down the pump when you know how much it will take.

Also there is a 1/4 gap between the outer (painted) fiberglass and the filler plate. Small, slow overflows will spill down behind the fiberglass and not reach the paint.

That said, truck pumps can be dangerous & messy if your complacent, but fast & easy if your careful.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
On my 2006 Journey 36G I had the same filling problem until I started turning the pump fill nozzle on its side so that the fuel is being squirted down stream of the hose connecting to the tank. Now I can fill my tank with the pump nozzle set on high until I hear the fuel starting to gurgle and then I slow it down.

Sammie
I did the same trick. The last 15 to 20 were still a problem. The fill tube would fill with foam at that point and trip the pump if I did not nurse it slow and easy.

When we were at Freightliner CCCC we learned that each and every chassis is designed and built according to the buyers specs. Nothing goes onto our chassis that Winnebago does not predefine and approve of before Freightliner builds it. We were surprised that the buyer determines the make, size and configuration of the engine, for example, including the size and type of alternator used. I am certain that the tank configuration is also designed with Freightliners guidance, but the final design is chosen by the buyer. Another thing I did not know is that the chassis parts are all paid by the buyer for before the chassis is assembled.

So, I hope after this cold snap passes that I can crawl under the coach and have a look see at what the top end of the fill tube looks like. I'll try to get pictures. Maybe one of you youngsters reading this could beat me to it. I would not be offended.

Happy trails,
Rick

Tags
fuel, journey, winnebago