Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2013 Vista Protective coating

I have a 2013 Vista. Has anyone tried to remove the protective coating that is on the front of the motorhome? Mine has some dark spots on it that won't come off , also where bugs have stuck and the sun cooked them before I got them cleaned off , have damaged the coating . It looks like it should peel right off.
xlthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I saw an owner at our RV park spend most of the winter removing his with hair dryer. Not very easy job.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We removed our 3M film a few years back. Lifting edges. "bubbles" here and there, little spider webbed impact areas, etc.

Requires a heat gun, stiff plastic scrapers and the patience of Job. We tried a variety of solvents recommended by a variety of folks. We were most satisfied with that milky white low VOC paint thinner. We found that pieces of broken CD/DVD's made the best scrapers.

The alternative to our removing the 3M was to hire the job out. Quotes killed that alternative. The lowest quote to replace the 3M was north of $1200. We had the front cap shot with clearcoat for about $400 including a few chip repairs.

Here we are deep into 2019 and about 10000 miles later with no noticeable chips. Doubt we will go back to film products. As the joke goes, 60% of the time, it works every time.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote