Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2013 Tour Advice

All,

Potentially purchasing a 2013 Tour - What are some things I need to be aware of? Can anyone recom end an insurance carrier, did you buy the extended warranty?

In private how much should I expect to pay for one? I do not want to overpay.

Any good dealer recommendations?

Thank you,
MM222
ManyMiles222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We bought our TOUR at the end of the Winnebago Grand National Rally and got a fantastic deal from the local dealer (Winnebago, Itasca, Era New - Used Motorhomes for Sale, Iowa RV Dealer - Lichtsinn Motors ). See Casey if you decide as Lichsinn is about a mile from the Winnebago factory. Regarding insurance, I would recommend National Interstate National Interstate . For service, I would take the coach to Gaffney SC if you are in the area and purchase Good SAMS bumper to bumper after your warranty expires. It nets out to whether you want "piece of mind" and have budget. Good Luck...our new TOUR is fantastic.....
Old 04-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rob View Post
We bought our TOUR at the end of the Winnebago Grand National Rally and got a fantastic deal from the local dealer (Winnebago, Itasca, Era New - Used Motorhomes for Sale, Iowa RV Dealer - Lichtsinn Motors ). See Casey if you decide as Lichsinn is about a mile from the Winnebago factory. Regarding insurance, I would recommend National Interstate National Interstate . For service, I would take the coach to Gaffney SC if you are in the area and purchase Good SAMS bumper to bumper after your warranty expires. It nets out to whether you want "piece of mind" and have budget. Good Luck...our new TOUR is fantastic.....
Thank you very much for your recommendations and response.

Best Regards,
Ben
Old 04-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMiles222 View Post
All,

Potentially purchasing a 2013 Tour - What are some things I need to be aware of? Can anyone recom end an insurance carrier, did you buy the extended warranty?

In private how much should I expect to pay for one? I do not want to overpay.

Any good dealer recommendations?

Thank you,
MM222
Thanks for asking these questions! We are looking to order a 2014 Tour next year and are in search of a good dealer... region does not matter as we are full timers. When we bought our current coach we did most negotiating via email and got 28% off MSRP... I am hoping to do the same this time around with a Winnebago Dealer & would appreciate any recommendations.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #6

Our story...We just ordered one and get it in June...

We were looking to buy a new coach from Lazydays in Tampa as they had 6 of the 42GD’s, the floor plan we wanted, and 4 of them in the same color! So, we thought that they would really look to make a deal to move one of the 4 in the same color and same floor plan off the lot.

Quick Summary…First offer they gave us…$202,000 plus our coach. I looked at them and said, hummm…really? Second offer…$168,000.00 plus our coach. (They came down $34K!!!) I told them it did not give us a good feeling thinking that they tried that and no thank you. They then came down to $163,000, another $5K, plus our coach and said we would find no better deal as they gave us discounts and what have you from a “special account”. hummmm…..Had not heard that one before.

Well, needless to say, we walked away quickly as not only would they make a good profit from the sale…but would have then made more from our coach sale. It was not a good feeling to say the least.

Fast forward 24 hours later and I had ordered a new one to be built and saved another, are you ready, $15,000!!!. Yup, you read that right…$15K lower! The best part, our coach will be titled 2014 based on the build time and may have any line change that are starting to happen already for the new model year.

Where did we find such a great deal…Glad you asked…

Les and Lisa Johnson
New & Used RVs for Sale in Indianapolis Indiana | Motorhomes, Campers, Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels from Camping World RV Sales - Indianapolis - Camping World RV Sales - Indianapolis
303 Sheek Rd.
Indianapolis, IN 46143
800.255.7670/317.881.7670
Les cell 317–775-1436
Les email: [email protected]

So…Looking for a coach…save the time and call Les or Lisa Johnston.
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank You

David,

Thank you for sharing your experience and insight.
I wish you the best as it grows closer to receiving your new tour.
The anticipation must be unbearable ( thinking child with new toy ).

Best Regards,
Ben
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Karen,

Just curious why would you move away from a Tiffin?

I really enjoyed reading you and your husbands experiences.

Best Regards,
Ben
Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMiles222 View Post
Karen,

Just curious why would you move away from a Tiffin?

I really enjoyed reading you and your husbands experiences.

Best Regards,
Ben
We love our 09 Tiffin and have had very good service from Tiffin. We want to move up to the next level coach which for Tiffin would be the Allegro Bus. We are not impressed with the current Bus floor plans or workmanship while at the same time we love the Tour GD floor plan and amenities and have heard positive things about their workmanship and service. We also have heard positive feedback about the Entegra Anthem but again their floor plans are not as awesome as Winnebago.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Agreed

Karen,

I agree the GD Winnebego Floor plan is awesome. I have test drove the new Allegro Bus and the GD. The only gotcha in the GD in the 2013 has no fireplace.
However, in 2014 it will be available.

Prior to full timing I would not have cared.
However, after waking up to a nippy coach in Texas in the fall, winter, and spring. It would be hard to live without how quickly and quietly it warms the coach while enjoying coffee in the AM.

I do like the dual bathroom sinks in the Allegro Bus. But the tall corner shower wins out in the GD.

Happy shopping!

Best Regards,
Ben
Old 04-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott View Post
Our story...We just ordered one and get it in June...

We were looking to buy a new coach from Lazydays in Tampa as they had 6 of the 42GD’s, the floor plan we wanted, and 4 of them in the same color! So, we thought that they would really look to make a deal to move one of the 4 in the same color and same floor plan off the lot.

Quick Summary…First offer they gave us…$202,000 plus our coach. I looked at them and said, hummm…really? Second offer…$168,000.00 plus our coach. (They came down $34K!!!) I told them it did not give us a good feeling thinking that they tried that and no thank you. They then came down to $163,000, another $5K, plus our coach and said we would find no better deal as they gave us discounts and what have you from a “special account”. hummmm…..Had not heard that one before.

Well, needless to say, we walked away quickly as not only would they make a good profit from the sale…but would have then made more from our coach sale. It was not a good feeling to say the least.

Fast forward 24 hours later and I had ordered a new one to be built and saved another, are you ready, $15,000!!!. Yup, you read that right…$15K lower! The best part, our coach will be titled 2014 based on the build time and may have any line change that are starting to happen already for the new model year.

Where did we find such a great deal…Glad you asked…

Les and Lisa Johnson
New & Used RVs for Sale in Indianapolis Indiana | Motorhomes, Campers, Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels from Camping World RV Sales - Indianapolis - Camping World RV Sales - Indianapolis
303 Sheek Rd.
Indianapolis, IN 46143
Les cell 317–775-1436

So…Looking for a coach…save the time and call Les or Lisa Johnston.
Aloha! I am brand new to the RV world and looking at purchasing a Tour in about a year.
I see the MSRP is around 391,000 but above you stated that you paid 163,000? Is this correct!?!
If so I may be an RV owner sooner!

Thanks,
Jordan
Tikigod19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Jordan, I believe that price was in addition to his trade in. He didn't say what they were giving him for the trade in, so we don't know what the exact price for the new coach was. Normally, you would offer the dealer 25-30% off the full MSRP.

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Roy,

Ok, that makes more sense to me, thanks for clearing that up!

Mahalo,
Jordan
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #14

Les and Lisa Johnson
303 Sheek Rd.
Indianapolis, IN 46143
Les cell 317–775-1436

So…Looking for a coach…save the time and call Les or Lisa Johnston.[/QUOTE]

Lisa was our sales person too, Dave. Les and Lisa are pretty competitive between the two of them, but good moral people. like me, he is a vocational minister.

The service dept. there is good also. Larry is a service tech guy that is VERY GOOD and explained everything he did to our rig, in depth. Ask for him if you need any service or warranty work on the coach.

Additionally Stoops FREIGHTLINER in Indy is a good place for chassis work and normal servicing.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikigod19 View Post
Aloha! I am brand new to the RV world and looking at purchasing a Tour in about a year.
I see the MSRP is around 391,000 but above you stated that you paid 163,000? Is this correct!?!
If so I may be an RV owner sooner!

Thanks,
Jordan
We had a nice trade in. So now, it was not that price off just MSRP.

Good luck in your new venture!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkers View Post
The service dept. there is good also. Larry is a service tech guy that is VERY GOOD and explained everything he did to our rig, in depth. Ask for him if you need any service or warranty work on the coach.
This is good to read as we will be their a number of days doing a change over. A number of things.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to gordons1
I bought the 5th Tour GD on the lot at Lazydays.....traded in a 2007 Phaeton with 33,000 miles in excellent condition and many upgrades. Licensed it yesterday in Birmingham (yes - too much:$5900 for the next 8 months). Here is the deal: Bought the Tour from a great salesman (Kurt) who spent 3+ hours with us showing us the many engineering and design features that the Tour has over the Allegro Bus (which has an MRSP of about 50k more). To say the least, I was most impressed. I also felt very remorseful for Tiffin (falling behind). The onsite Tiffin reps told me Van Tiffin and 3 of their engineers visited Lazydays when he 2013 Tour first came to Lazydays to "study it carefully". Also, I learned that the 2014 Allegro Bus will have many new design features as a result of the visit (Tiffin is a follower in the industry, apparently) as a result of the Van Tiffin visit! Its an understatement to state that I am a huge Tiffin fan!

Winnebago owns their own plastics and aluminum extrusion manufacturing processes and holds many patents on such design features as incredibly comfortable seating or all welded 26" high bays and chassis (The Maxxum chassis co-developed with freightliner). They offer a much better manufactured coach (all steel and aluminum) with an abundance of insulation and hopefully, more reliable than what Tiffin is currently producing. Of course, all RVs will have problems - hopefully, less with the Tour.

The numbers: The Tour MRSP ($383k) less a "trade-in of 199k" for a net purchase price of $186k. Lazydays offered more trade in value (133k) than what I paid originally for a used 1 year old phaeton we bought in 2008. Yes, it does pay to buy used, when possible due to the typical first year's 18% depreciation. I was fortunate to be there at the end of the snow bird season (these folks buy many large Class A's from Lazydays; apparently, they sold 525+ RV's and 5th wheels in April) and they had too many Tours in their inventory! When we left Lazydays a week later, they had sold most of their Tours.

Did I get the best deal? No, likely not. It was my first visit to Lazydays and we were very impressed with the largest dealer in the US! My only regret is that I can't go to the factory for service work any more thats close-by (Red Bay is 120 miles away) and camping world is the the only authorized Winnebago dealer in this area!

Gordon and Irene Smith
gordons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Gordon and Irene,

Congratulations on your new coach and thank you for posting. It is very helpful.

I know you will enjoy the Crown Club a reason many purchase from Lazy Days.

Your purchase at Lazy Days comes with many fringe benefits. Enjoy them I love visiting the dealership and enjoy shopping and browsing there.

You went into your purchase eyes wide open and made the best deal that work for your situation. Looking back that is all any of us can do. The dealers work using MSRP and playing numbers games to come to some magical number that no one really can tell what kind of deal they have gotten. You would almost have to be an accountant to figure it out. These forums are helpful and sharing of information
Is a tremendous value.

Again Enjoy your new Tour and I wish you many happy and safe miles.

Best Regards,
Ben
Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Wow! Thank you all for sharing your experiences and information about the Tour, I really appreciate all the feedback!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

2013 Tour

Looking seriously at a 2013 Tour. Thinking dealer may want to give a good deal due to 2014's coming in any opinions of the Tour and suggestions as to what it should sell for.
Thanks
ravens2012 is offline   Reply With Quote