Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #21

I have had the problems you are all experiancing... I do not like the Idea of having heaters/lights burning fulltime it the Basement.. My solution was to go to A home supply store Pick up several Heat cubes They plug into the 110 outlet and will turn on at which ever Temp you buy. I buy the ones that go on at 30 degrees And i just leave the light pluged in all the time. It only turns on when needed.. It would be like a thermastat/heater. But a heater Is overkill.. one 60 watt light bulb will do just fine. Positioned under the lines. Not above... We have set in 37 Below zero. In our Ultimate . No problems..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

bachler: What do you mean by "Heat Cubes"? Is this another term for a small ceramic heater or something different? I googled it and all that comes up are small ceramic heaters? Thanks
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #23

These are Plugs that you plug into th 110. And then youplug the light into it, we use the one that turns on at about 30 degrees. Thermo plug. Try that.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Here is a link to the Thermocube WEB site. Bought mine at Menards. They are also available from Amazon.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Here is a link to the Thermocube WEB site. Bought mine at Menards. They are also available from Amazon.
That is incredible! I never have had a need for such a device out of ignorance. I thought the folks posting about this were talking about a cube space heater.

I think a challenge for many of us is getting power to where we need to plug these little devices in. Running wire safely and not overloading circuits must be done with care and wisdom.

In any case, thanks for the great post.

Rick
Old 12-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Ok I know a lot of people have responded already but here is what I can tell you based on my personal experience in my 2010 Tour42AD. If the temperature is going to be below freezing do not use the roof heat pumps because you will get zero basement heat from them. Second use your fireplace heat only sporadically when the weather is below freezing again it will cause the heat not to come on and again you will not get enough basement heat. If you have an Aqua Hot system like I do in my Tour there should be a thermostat on the panel specifically for the basement heat. Set the temp for the lowest temp you expect to get. This will insure adequate heat gets to the basement. Lastly make sure the duct that comes out in the water pump compartment has the outlet pointing toward the pump. Mine was pointing directly at the floor and I was getting no flow from it. Keep in mind that it is only a small box fan pushing air to the compartment so any obstructions will impact the heat that comes out into the compartment. If you do all these things you will not have any more freezing problems. Also I keep a spare strainer just in case. It is the first thing to crack and break should you have a freeze. Hope this helps!
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

No Hot Water

We're in Lincoln, NE...temp is 0 deg! Temp has been hovering in low teens at night with no water problems but turned colder last night and now no hot water flow.
In our 2013 Tour QD we have the Aquahot system. The Aquahot heat system for the coach living spaces is working well. The basement thermostat is turned all the way up and we have a 110 v space heater plugged in the basement on the driver side. The #3 readout (basement) on the thermostat shows 65 deg but still we have no hot water flow from any faucet or shower so I'm assuming the water line is frozen somewhere between the aquahot heater and the first water outlet which I assume is the kitchen sink. The cold water is running fine using the onboard water pump. Trying to figure out where to place an additional heat source?
We'll be heading south in two more days!
Thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #28
Itasca Meridian 36G

Otterf18

In my 05 36g Meridian, when I have lost hot water, it was the plumbing at the outside fill/shower/bipass/hose connection. I was able to place a 60 watt bulb trouble light in the compartment and unfreeze the hot water. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterf18 View Post
We're in Lincoln, NE...temp is 0 deg! Temp has been hovering in low teens at night with no water problems but turned colder last night and now no hot water flow. In our 2013 Tour QD we have the Aquahot system. The Aquahot heat system for the coach living spaces is working well. The basement thermostat is turned all the way up and we have a 110 v space heater plugged in the basement on the driver side. The #3 readout (basement) on the thermostat shows 65 deg but still we have no hot water flow from any faucet or shower so I'm assuming the water line is frozen somewhere between the aquahot heater and the first water outlet which I assume is the kitchen sink. The cold water is running fine using the onboard water pump. Trying to figure out where to place an additional heat source? We'll be heading south in two more days! Thanks
#3 readout on my QD for Aqua works of the sensor by the front TV. Test it, take a blow dryer and blow hot air on that sensor to see if the temp reading goes up, mine does.
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Frozen pipes

On our 2013 Meridian 42E, the water heater is on the back left corner. I think yours is in the same place. Below the water heater is the battery/electrical bay, and it's completely open on the inside. On the other side, you've got the radiator area for the engine. Potential here for a lot of heat loss.

The first tap off the hot water heater is probably going to be the shower/sink in the rear bath.

If you haven't got some heat source in the utility bay, I'd get one in there. Your freeze may be before the hot water heater. If you don't have something blocking off the engine radiator area, get some polyethylene plastic and cover the radiator area. That will at least keep heat from coming up and out through that area. You could also put an electric trouble light in that rear bay where the batteries are, but with it open like it is, that may not do much if it's very windy. We had this situation in Breckenridge last year and once we created a skirt all the way around the coach using plastic, the problem went away.

Also, if you've got cold water, but not hot, try turning on BOTH at the rear sink. We did this and after several minutes, we found we were getting just a bit of water through the hot line. At that point, we turned everything off, waited a minute, and then turned on just the hot. Repeated this several times, and the hot water began flowing.

You could also try cranking up the engine on the coach and let it run to get some heat back there. Might need it to run for a while, but it can't hurt.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Yep, we placed a small 1500 watt heater in the water control compartment and a few hours later the hot water returned...it unfroze whatever had frozen.
Thanks,
Sheldon

Tags
journey