Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2013 Itasca Sunstar 35B

We've been traveling in a Navion for four seasons now but want to travel with our daughter's family at times. We recently came across a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 35B. It's the best looking family RV we've seen. I haven't been able to find any reviews other than ones likely commissioned by Itasca. I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion about this rig. There are several new ones out there right now for a reasonable price for a large bus. I guess companies are trying to offload inventory.
Ron Frank
Ron Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello Ron and :welcome:. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Try also searching for "Winnebago Vista", which is its twin. There seems to be more out there on the Vista for some reason.

Also compare features against the next model up (Winnebago Sightseer; Itasca Sunova). Depending on how you outfit the rigs, the price may be a lot closer than you think and you'd get more amenities by stepping up.

(Also, on the floorplan that you've mentioned - when you are ready to dump your tanks, there are separate black and gray tanks for each bathroom which may or may not be an issue for you...)

Good luck in your search!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2011 Vista 35F with 10,000 mi on it. It is my 6th Motorhome and my 4th, and last, Winnebago. I love the floorplan with the second bathroom and it does have a separate black water tank with a grinder pump. The gray water has a shared tank on the Vista. It is a bit more work to dump but I have had no problems so far. I put a grinder pump in for the main tank also and made a few modifications and it works fine. No more messing with that big sewer hose anymore. As for the Vista in general, it is the absolutely worst Motorhome I have ever owned. The build quality is pathetic compared to the other 3 Winnebagoes I have owned and the company has done nothing to fix continuing problems that have been around for years.
TerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

In my previous post I forgot to caution you to search this forum for posts on the Vista. It will give you a lot of information that you can use before you buy.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks TerryJ for your comments. I've often wondered if Winnebago is dropping the ball on quality and service. I've heard people say that rigs made after 2008 (the financial crisis) were lower quality as they started to cut corners so they could keep the price competitive and increase their profit margin. Our Navion is a 2006 and it had some issues that I was not impressed with but I managed to fix most of them myself and it has held up fairly well since then.
Ron Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
Site Team

I have a 2013 Itasca and really couldn't be happier with the quality of my Sunstar. I knew I was buying their entry level model, but have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the build.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Ron, something you might consider is the time of year when you buy your new MH. I bought my Vista in late October and only had time to make 1 short trip before I put it up for the winter. By the time I got it out and used it again 6 months of my generous 1 year warranty had gone away. After a couple of trips that spring I knew I had a problem on my hands. I would never buy another MH at that time of the year again. Of course if you live in warmer climes that would not be a problem for you. My alternatives are to either sell and take a helluva loss or get an extended warranty for 2 or 3 thousand dollars, which, in retrospect, I should have gotten when I bought it. I never needed to do that because my last 3 Winnies, a 1973,a 1992 and a 2006 were, in my opinion, far better built than this new Vista.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Just Purchase Itasca Sunstar 35B, Anyone else with this MH? What are your experiences?
taluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have the Sunstar 35B's twin, the Vista 35B and absolutely love it. I would agree with the comments that say all of your newer motorhomes are going to have problems. Quality control just ain't what it used to be. With that said, I have only found three QC issues with my Vista, a cracked coupler at the fresh water intake, miswired audio/video auxillary wall jacks for the bedroom TV, and air vavles on the inner dual wheels that were not "set" properly (that is more of a Ford issue).
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I have a 2013 Itasca and really couldn't be happier with the quality of my Sunstar. I knew I was buying their entry level model, but have been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the build.
My experience is the same with our new 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T. If the build quality has eroded in recent years as some say, then they must have been perfect before!

I am very impressed with the build quality of mine & can find only a couple of very minor flaws so far, both of which I was easily able to fix myself.
Cass Sumrall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca