Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Thumbs down 2013 Itasca Ellipse

I purchase a 2013 itasca Ellipse in Nov. it has been in the shop all of this year and two weeks in Dec. problems rt. camera,seats lumbar,heat,rear jacks,lights,door and LED front light do not work and I bought it in camping world in Madison,Wis they did not prep the coach they said take it in for warranty, and I did at camp world in Woodstock,Ga and they had it longer than I have ,they say they have been ordering the wrong parts and i do not know when I will get it, what a nightmare that cost so much, oh by the way I got rid of my problem free fleetwood
wlsjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #2

Why did not CW prep it? Was that in the contract? Did you Buy as is? Was it sold on consignment? I would begin negotiations with CW for them to pony up $$$$ or take them to Small Claims Court. The sold you vehicle they did not prep which I expect includes inspect for safety problems. Maybe contact the BAR Bureau of Automotive Repairs.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlsjones View Post
I purchase a 2013 itasca Ellipse in Nov. it has been in the shop all of this year and two weeks in Dec. problems rt. camera,seats lumbar,heat,rear jacks,lights,door and LED front light do not work and I bought it in camping world in Madison,Wis they did not prep the coach they said take it in for warranty, and I did at camp world in Woodstock,Ga and they had it longer than I have ,they say they have been ordering the wrong parts and i do not know when I will get it, what a nightmare that cost so much, oh by the way I got rid of my problem free fleetwood
This sounds like the same type of problems that our neighbor here in the park has. Brand new Elipse and it's been to the shop a number of times. They also bought it at CW but here in FL. On the way here he said 2 or 3 of the MCD shades fell off the windows when he was driving and scared them half to death. Then the litany of other problems started. Kind of scarry to pay that much for something and this is what you get. He was getting NO satisfaction from CW on the repairs until a call to the Winnebago factory was made. This put a little fire in there pants to help him out. Good luck and hope the luck with yours gets better.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Common problem with both units CAMPING WORLD, not Winnebago. Look thru threads here on CW repair services and you'll find a common theme NO SERVICE, it seems that CW's only interested in selling units, not fixing them. WLSJONES, if you get a chance get thru the factory in Iowa, they're more then happy to fix any and all items you have on your punch list. Also I'd have been VERY hesitant buying a unit at a dealer that refused to prep your unit, and then tells you basically take it else where to get the warranty work done.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Common problem with both units CAMPING WORLD, not Winnebago. Look thru threads here on CW repair services and you'll find a common theme NO SERVICE, it seems that CW's only interested in selling units, not fixing them. WLSJONES, if you get a chance get thru the factory in Iowa, they're more then happy to fix any and all items you have on your punch list. Also I'd have been VERY hesitant buying a unit at a dealer that refused to prep your unit, and then tells you basically take it else where to get the warranty work done.
Well said D Lindy!
I soooooo agree!!!!
Thank you!
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

When are people going to learn that there are huge advantages to buying a RV where they live not where they can save $100.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

While Camping World may well deserve some of the Blame, sounds like Winnebago is dropping the ball with there build quality. If Winnie built them properly they wouldn't need a bunch of warranty work.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your coach. I know how frustrating that can be from personal experience when it seems to live in the shop.

If you haven't already done so, you should sit down with the service manager and see what they can work out as far as a plan to get the unit fixed. You *might* find you would be well served to move the unit over to Camping World of Oakwood, GA (both stores are under the same management, but the Oakwood store is larger). The GM over both is the same gentleman, and he has always been very helpful to me when I've had issues.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We had the same issue with our (bougt new) 2013 ellipse, we did buy at camping world and did call winnebago owner relations to no avail . Our main issue is the ac poring water into the ceiling, Winnebago has thrown parts at the ac (some parts replaced more than once) they refuse to replace the offending ac unit(they being Winnebago. WINNEBAGO also refused to replace the ceiling saying nothing up there water could hurt( and here I thought soaked louan plywood does not do well when repededly soaked) Winnebago did say they would fix it if a problem showes up....but they will not put that In writing.As a final note winnebago refused to pay diagnostic charges on intermitant issues again I called winnebago owner relations they had me email a copy of the invoce so they could reimburse me so I emailed it..........No responce . So while I will buy nothing from camping world again but also Winnebago customer service level has gone down hill
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Fla tom; your experience with Winnebago is the exception not the norm. You can read thread after thread where people have had nothing but good experiences dealing with Winnebago. Is it possible for you to get to the factory for survice, say in conjunction with Winnebago's Grand National Rally. Everyone who's gone to the factory has had nothing but praise for their service.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks but I think it is the quality that Winnebago is not. Putting in their units that coach should not have had that many issues ,talk about American made, is this what we get? What a turn off I have contacted winnebago but no help, I guess I will try. The Oakwood cw store thanks for the reply. Plus I can't drive to Iowa for them to fix something they should've done early my vacation should be for pleasure.
wlsjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Fla tom; your experience with Winnebago is the exception not the norm. You can read thread after thread where people have had nothing but good experiences dealing with Winnebago. Is it possible for you to get to the factory for survice, say in conjunction with Winnebago's Grand National Rally. Everyone who's gone to the factory has had nothing but praise for their service.
The factory would be 4 days drive there and back 10hrs plus per day, I could not get them to agree to replace the ceiling so why would I take the time and expense to drive there?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Fla tom he has complained on here often, he failed to tell you that he ordered a new Entegra last year, lots to the story - I think he just posts here to bash Winnebago because they would not cave in to his impossibe demands.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Fla tom he has complained on here often, he failed to tell you that he ordered a new Entegra last year, lots to the story - I think he just posts here to bash Winnebago because they would not cave in to his impossibe demands.
Thank you rream
Kind of thought that was the case.
Many need to report his posts as stated. We are hear to help others not bash anyone.
Jesse
Old 03-11-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Woodstock CW .........never heard a good word about their service. Go to Three Way or Apalachee and get it done right the first time.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Impossible demands ? you would be satisfied with your ceiling being soaked repeatedly only to be told it should not hurt anything ? I wanted to have the ac replaced after multiple Failed attempts to fix it (condensation soaking the ceiling) and several parts were replaced more than once is that an unreasonable request? I was told if the ceiling did become a problem(mold wood rot etc) it would be taken care of,so I asked for that in writing(which Winnebago refused to do), is that impossible or unreasonable? I have had the jack warning alarm and lights come on while driving the dealers could not duplicate so Winnebago would not cover the diagnostics(coach is 6 months old) .Is it unreasonable for me to expect they cover diagnostic charges for intermittent under warranty ? I do not want to take a bath on a 6 month old coach I really like the 42 qd . PLEASE tell me what Impossible demands I have made. I still own the coach why should I not expect for the warrenty to be honored . I Do not know why you chose to attack me because I am speaking up of real problems with my coach . Also the fact that I am trying to get out of this lemon does NOTHING change the facts or problems I have had
Old 03-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Thank you rream
Kind of thought that was the case.
Many need to report his posts as stated. We are hear to help others not bash anyone.
Jesse
Report my posts ? really ? If you are trying to help others why should one not speak of issues they have especially If it is a thread about it? Nothing I have posted is not true .The fact that I am trying to get out of this lemon is not Jermaine and is not " much more to the story". I to want to help others with the facts not rose colored glasses . I thought this forum is here to spread information both positive and otherwise.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:52 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post

Report my posts ? really ? If you are trying to help others why should one not speak of issues they have especially If it is a thread about it? Nothing I have posted is not true .The fact that I am trying to get out of this lemon is not Jermaine and is not " much more to the story". I to want to help others with the facts not rose colored glasses . I thought this forum is here to spread information both positive and otherwise.
Hi fla Tom
I am sorry. I would like to take back what I said. I like Winnebago people and there products but you have the rite to tell it like you see it. I do see that you have tried to help others many times.

Thanks and congratulations on your new coach.

Jesse
Old 03-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Well, I feel for OP - new coach and can't use it. From what I've heard from several owners there are a LOT of problems with these coaches. I posted the quote below on another thread for some poor soul getting ready to buy a new one, but they are smitten.

So let's see here, almost the exact same story...a couple of brand new Tours and so many problems they traded it for a Entegra. Hmmm...and fla-tom is just a jerk for saying so. Emkay...

If it were me buying at that price point I would look to Tiffin, Newmar, or country coach. At my budget probly a journey or knight - but no maxxforce.

My sister's coaches were really nice looking, great floor plans, very nice coaches. But every time they went in them something didn't work. They had punch lists of stuff to fix. One of them had the diesel gen removed and gone thru and never did start and run right.

I'm not sure what I would do when it got to be months and my unit was still tied up. Sure would not be very pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN
Much as I love winnebago I'd say don't do it. The Tour line seems to be plagued with problems. My sister had two of them, a '12 40' and a '13 42. Both had so many problems they traded the last one in for an Entegra Cornerstone. Yeah, more money, but with a hefty discount it wasn't that much more. They say the winnie is built to a price point and it's too low. That must be why they sell so many. There are a LOT of resales on them too which should tell you something.

Every Tour owner they talked to said they had problems. One of them said they had to take theirs to the factory to get stuff fixed and they said there were Tours lined up by the dozens waiting to be fixed.

Every time they went out something didn't work - slide outs, level jacks, generator, overheating, electrics that didn't work, doors that wouldn't open, the list went on and on. Maybe you'll get different reports here on the forum, I dunno.

One thing they really disliked were the level jacks - apparently only the rears can level the coach sideways - not the fronts, so it would twist the coach on any unlevel rv sites. Bathroom door wouldn't latch, or cargo doors wouldn't open or they would hit the slides.

I would talk to a few owners with them. One fellow said if he knew where the president of winnebago lived he'd park his rig on their front lawn and leave it there. Another paid way too much - didin't bargain for a big enough discount (easily 20-30%) and was so buried in it he'll never get out. He paid almost as much for his as my sis did for the new cornerstone - the list at $585K. Very nice coach by the way, and they got the 30% or more off so it wasn't that bad. Fit and finish and componentry is substantially above the winnie.

Just passing info...I have no investment one way or other.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Well, I feel for OP - new coach and can't use it. From what I've heard from several owners there are a LOT of problems with these coaches. I posted the quote below on another thread for some poor soul getting ready to buy a new one, but they are smitten.

So let's see here, almost the exact same story...a couple of brand new Tours and so many problems they traded it for a Entegra. Hmmm...and fla-tom is just a jerk for saying so. Emkay...

If it were me buying at that price point I would look to Tiffin, Newmar, or country coach. At my budget probly a journey or knight - but no maxxforce.

My sister's coaches were really nice looking, great floor plans, very nice coaches. But every time they went in them something didn't work. They had punch lists of stuff to fix. One of them had the diesel gen removed and gone thru and never did start and run right.

I'm not sure what I would do when it got to be months and my unit was still tied up. Sure would not be very pleasant.
I have heard the same thing. My wife an I looked at them 3 different times. All 3 times there were huge things wrong with the coach on display. The salesmen just tried to ignore it. I do most of my own work on my coach. I have helped a buddy with his Tour. I must say I was not impressed with the workmanship. Especially as you start diggin in to places where most consumers never see.

Tags
itasca