Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2012 Vista 30T

Hi all. We have an 04 Sightseer 30B we purchased 2 years ago as our first motorhome. It met what we wanted at that time and has performed great for us and our snow bird adventures. Now that we like our new adventure and look forward to continuing we want to upgrade some. The 30T meets our needs and wants-extra slide, holding tanks/water tank, etc.

Would appreciate any comments pro and con on this particular unit. Have any issues cropped up for anyone on the Ford chassis? Look forward to hearing-thanks.

We do a combination of dry camping and RV parks in SW Arizona and have learned a lot on our needs and wants over the last two seasons. Thanks
Old 04-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2015 Vista 30T. When looking for a new coach, the important things for me was to find a unit that was about 30' long, had a good floor plan, had a full length 80" mattress, lots of water capacity, lots of storage inside & out and also an option for two AC's. The 30T had all of that. Other than little issues that I fixed myself, so far the only thing I had that required going back to the dealer was for a furnace that quit running. Up to now, there has been no issues with the Ford chassis. So far, so good...
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info? I was a little concerned with the basement storage as our Sightseer has a few more bays. Any issue with the lip on the basement access? Ours are flush now so pretty easy to slide things in and out.

I agree on your other comments and also like the holding tank size-great for dry camping!!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The 30T actually has more cubic feet of exterior storage than the 30B. The 30B is listed as having 107 cubic feet and the 30T 118 cubic feet. I believe that the new style 2015 30T actually has a bit more than 118 cubic feet of exterior storage, as the side walls are now closer to the ground by 4", which also increased the access doors and storage bays by 4" in height. Winnebago never updated the spec sheet for that change. In regards to basement storage access, you do have to lift items a little bit to get them out of the storage bays. My old Fleetwood RV was that way too, so it didn't make any difference to me. I go out to the desert often on rough roads, so at least whatever is in the bin isn't able to slide up and rub against the door while traveling.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Will have to check on that with the 2012 30T. The spare is stored in the bedroom slide on this coach which takes up a bunch of storage. I thought the 2012 brochure only said 78.5 CF. Sounds like they may have changed things considerably. Thanks for the info
Old 04-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I didn't pick up that you were looking at a used 2012 30T. You are correct that the storage space was less for the 2012 and older versions of the 30T.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We love our 30T. Bought new, have 13k ,miles and have had no serious problems. I am very happy to have gotten a MH with the Power Gear dual ram slides instead of the Schwinteck. Mine have been very reliable. Don't worry about having enough power, There's plenty. The spare(which is not furnished on newer models) is accessible from outside, and in my opinion still leaves plenty of under-bed storage. If you are considering one with the buffet floorplan, it will have a 42" TV instead of a smaller TV over the dash.
There are many 30T owners here and you can search for many posts about the 30T, too.
After making some suspension upgrades, (Track Bar, steering stabilizer and CHF), its a nice handling MH. Hope this helps in making your decision.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2012 30T. It seems bigger than 30 ft on the inside. ... plenty of room for DW and puppy. Lots of inside storage, outside storage is adequate but limited for long items. Only problems thus far are ATS failed and dash air conditioner compressor failed .... both replaced under warranty. We have buffet with 42 in TV which we like since we can sit on the couch and look straight at the TV. Like ghutch mentioned, I have installed a steering stabilizer (Blue Ox True Center) and did the cheap handling fix ..... it handles well.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Hello Vista owners!!!!

We have the sliding table and chairs. It's a great layout for the two of us. Well we also have a dog and soon to have a cat. But it's still plenty of room for us all. The Table and chairs floor plan is much, much better than those booth dinettes. They can be a big waste of space.

Last week we met up with ghutch (poster #7) and his DW down in Pensacola while on our way back home. They gave us a great idea for the folding chairs. We've been dragging those folding chairs under the bed for the last 11,000 miles and have never taken them out. Obviously they are there for guests. So far no guests. If we did have guests they can set on the couch. Hutch and his wife just leave the main chairs home and keep the folding chairs on top of the bed while traveling and at the dinette table when parked. Saves on some weight. The main chairs do move around some while traveling. We've never tied them down as recommended. Also the fold up chairs are padded and comfortable. Great Idea Gary.

With just over 11,000 miles we've had few issues. WBGO for the most part has a good product with good product support.

TeJay
Old 04-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hello ! I too have a 2013 30T,purchased new,and I just turned 52,000 mi. on our journey home from Texas this past winter. I've made a few changes to my rig,CHF,group 27 batteries instead of group 24,and a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp converter with 4-stage charger which works like a charm!
I changed out my Goodyear tires at about 50% just so I could switch to Michelin....major improvement! changed the front shocks to Koni FSD on the front end,I'll change the rear when my funds replenish a bit ...lol !I totally forgot to mention I also added the 5Star eco-tune which adds about 30hp/70 torque.....minor changes,pull-out sprayer faucet in kitchen,ball valve in overflow pipe for fresh water tank,...and I also forgot to mention we added MCD duo power shades in cab with customs cherry finish valances,looks very cool and works marvelous!!! ...after 2.6 yrs. of owning this coach,we finally have it outfitted the way WE like it! We even drove our rig to the Arctic Circle with nary a hitch! Needless to say,my DW has fallen in love with this coach,and she wwouldn't trade it for anything...it's the "perfect size" for us! Good Luck,I think you will enjoy the 30 T
tomrx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

tomrx1, you mentioned that you installed a ball valve in the overflow pipe for the fresh water tank. Does the tank balloon significantly if you forget to open the ball valve when filling the tank? Could you give more detail about the installation and where you installed the valve? Pictures would be helpful if possible. Thank you.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Pertaining to the siphoning action of the overflow line of the water tank, WBGO installed a ~6 ft pex loop between the tank and the original overflow line. It ended my loss of water while driving.
Had it done at the factory, on a trip to Wy. Not sure if later production units have this, but they are aware of the problem.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:14 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

TeJay, nice visit, hope you had a good trip home.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I like this thread devoted just to the Vista 30-T. Always interested in things people come up with to improve the already nice coach.

Another reason for having a thread devoted to just this coach when things are done to improve the ride or handling of a coach what is done on one coach will/may effect other coaches much differently.

Tomx1, When you changed your tires in what way did the Michelin's help. Was the ride softer with the expansion joints? Is is quieter?
How about the change to the Koni's. They are about $180 each so making the change is a lot of $$$$. I've read mostly good about the Koni's but some have reported that it made little improvement on their coach. That's why it's important to get your opinion on shocks to a 30T.

Did the 5-Star Tune help with the shifting. It drives me crazy trying to guess when and if the transmission is going to down shift into rocket mode when trying to drive with the cruise on to rest my foot and leg.

We've done the CHF but I want it a little better. I'm about to extend the front links so that the part of the bar just after it leaves the bushing and makes it's 90 degree toward the link connections is LEVEL with the ground or slightly lower. WHY?? Because it will allow the pressure being applied to control sway to be at right angles to the bushing. This will apply the forces in the most correct way thereby reducing the amount of wear on the bushings.
Also for those of you who don't know on the 2012 chassis Ford started using Poly bushings from the factory. So if you have a 2013,2014, or 2015 coach you have the newer and better bushings.

I've added a rear track bar, Safe-T-Steer and steering shock stabilizer. Still considering Koni's or air bags, or Sumo springs to try and soften and improve the ride. I'd really like some real world opinions if anybody has done and of those changes.

Our 2014 coach came with MCD shades in all of the windows except the front windshield. We had that installed at our local CW. I do a lot of my own stuff and am not usually afraid of tackling a difficult project but at first I thought NO I don't want to screw this up. After they installed the front MCD shade I had to take it out and re-adjust its position. They had the top to far back and the shade did not roll up and down very well. Now I know exactly how to do it and would be willing to help in what ever way I can if anybody is thinking about trying to do an install. It's really very easy. Peggy at MCD was very helpful and they will provide instructions for a self install.

For those of you who think you need just a little more storage room in the bathroom below the right side of the counter under the drawer next to the commode there is a dead space. Just remove the drawer and look in the empty hole. I thought about shortening the front panel and putting a shelf so I could store my ditty bag. You could also store TP in there or some wash cloths or what ever.

I store my tool box in a slide out shelf under the passenger seat in the outside compartment. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send some pics.

Our coach did not come with a spare tire. That compartment under the bed on the drivers side is a very convenient storage area. We were told they did not include a spare to save weight. I'm glad we don't have the tire. I don't believe I could R&R that tire and rim from the compartment without some help. I know I'd scratch something.

If we did have a spare I'd take it off the rim and maybe just keep the tire in the compartment. At least if you had a flat and the tire was destroyed when someone came out to change your tire you'd have a tire. We have had one 19.5" tire go flat but at that time the coach had a spare.

If anybody wants to build a rear track bar I did for $45 and I can also send some pics. It's been on for about 8,000 miles and works great.

Great thread!!!! Keep the ideas flowing.

TeJay
Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

So far, the only thing I've done to my 30T is install roof vent covers and put vinyl tiles in the outdoor storage area under the bed. To be honest, I think the coach handles quite well and compared to my old coach, the 30T is really a dream to drive. I guess it's all relative. The only handling issue that I've noticed is that under really hard braking, it seems to pull slightly to the left. I need to recheck the tire pressures again. I go off-road a lot, so I'm nervous doing the cheap handling fix for fear that the extra loads due to twist might cause some unintended problems.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to all for the info. We did purchase this coach and pick it up next week. Being new to the 30T and these posts I am unfamiliar with some of the acronyms-like CHF and ATS. I take it the CHF is a cheap handling fix but not sure what it is. As to ATS sorry I am stumped. I will definitely keep up with the threads on the 30T as see them as being beneficial as we get settled into our "new" coach.

The slide for tools seems like a great idea that I will look into as well as some of the other revamps-again thanks to all.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Teejay,
I purchased Michelin XZE tires Load Range H in place of tge LR G Goodyears,I've only put 10,000 miles on the coach since the change but I think they are quieter and ride better...(miight b all in my head!) They definitely seem to wear more evenly. The Koni's frankly are better,not near as harsh over large seams or bumps,HOWEVER,are they worth the expense?? Well,at this point I would have to say yes,to me,they are!They're not magical...they won't make the coach ride like it has "Neway Air Suspension" ,but I feel they are a definite improvement!
I found the Bilstein shocks much too harsh for my liking...perhaps because they are gas charged vs. all oil-filled for the Koni's. The 5 Star Tune made a HUGE change in the shift patterns...now it's like driving a van!!!...Night and Day differance,well worth it! IMHO. I forgot to mention we added vent covers to the bathroom vent and the fantastic fan as well. The reason for the ball valve in the overflow tube was because on our Alaskan caravan,I was told I was losing water every time I went around a corner!!..no problems ballooning the tank,although I've only forgotten to open the while filling the tank once.
The tanks are pretty stout in my opinion..best of luck to all fellow 30T owners!!
tomrx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Jazzerjump,

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the 30T club. I Know you will enjoy it. ATS is automatic transfer switch which switches between shore power and generator power. Do a search on the cheap handling fix in this forum and you will find all kinds of info in the ford chassis section. You may want to drive your rv some before doing the CHF so you can see the improvement. also install a valve in
Old 04-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Oops guess I have fat fingers. Was in process of saying I also installed a valve in my freshwater tank vent line. Do have to remember to open it when filling and using the tank. Dealer tried several fixes suggested by Winnebago but none worked. Hopefully you will not have this problem.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

How much was your tank emptying? I've had mine drain a fair amount if the coach is low on the driver's side prior to leveling.