Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2012 Itasca Ellipse 42QD Surge Guard Plus

Have had our 2012 Ellipse 42QD now for 5 weeks and have taken 3 trips still learning all the systems. I was looking at installing a surge guard to protect the electrical system. In the specifications under electrical it states:

Shoreline/generator automatic changeover switch w/Surge Guard Plus

So I'm thinking it already has the surge guard, is my thinking correct? I hate to assume.....
The Bay I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If it is the same model as mine, 41260, yes. It is made by the same company that makes the surgeguard, TRC. In fact, the specs on surge protection are better than the 50 Amp surgeguard I have hardwired in. It does not provide over/under voltage protection as my surgeguard unit does.

They have an upscale model, 40250-RVC, which does have over/under voltage in addition to hi/lo frequence protection, not sure if Winny put them in the higher end units.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan, I'll have to check my model number, hopefully it does protect from over/under voltage.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

According to this Surge Guard brochure the Surge Guard® Plus Automatic Transfer Switch (Model 40250 & Model 41290) does provide high and low voltage protection, but the Surge Guard® Automatic Transfer Switch (Model 41260) does not.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hello John,

What did you find out? which unit do you have in your coach?
I am in the process of buying the 2013 version of your coach and just curious.
Les
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Kudos to Winnie if they are now installing surge protectors in their upper end units. It's about time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Haven't check what model # I have yet. Coach is at dealer for some small items to fix and probably won't get the coach back for a week. I will check then and let you know.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Kudos to Winnie if they are now installing surge protectors in their upper end units. It's about time.

Rick
UM...IMHO, this should be on all RVs or at least a reasonably priced option. Doesn't matter that the rig is high or low end...they all can suffer from the potential problems caused by bad CG power or good CG power gone bad for other reasons.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
UM...IMHO, this should be on all RVs or at least a reasonably priced option. Doesn't matter that the rig is high or low end...they all can suffer from the potential problems caused by bad CG power or good CG power gone bad for other reasons.
No argument here, but putting them on at least SOME of their products is a start.

I could never understand how they expect their customers to fork over big bucks for a new RV and then have to tell them, "but NEVER plug into shore power unless you buy this add on surge protector... and NEVER connect to city water until you buy this add on pressure regulator".

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

Rick

Considering their relatively low cost, they should include them or at least offer them as an option on all their RV's. Winnebago is a big company that sells a lot of RV's across their different lines so I'm sure the could get a volume discount.
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The surge guard that is installed in my 42QD is built in to the transfer switch. Transfer switch Model #41260. Not sure if this has over/under voltage or not but it automatically switches to generator if if sees issues. Below is from TRC's surge guard website.

The Surge Guard line of automatic transfer switches ensures continuous power to your coach by monitoring shore power and automatically switching to generator power when it detects electrical issues that could impact performance of equipment in your motorhome. The 41260 provides basic surge protection of 2600 joules at 76,400 Amps. Additional features include:
  • Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.
  • Provides the following protection:
    • Open neutral
    • Reverse polarity
  • Time Delay at Power Up (Shore 3-4 Sec., Generator 30 Sec.)
  • Multi-mode Surge Suppression
  • Mechanical interlocking contactors.
  • UL Approved ATS - full transfer switch rating, UL1008..
Old 08-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

thanks for the info. It is really nice to know that we have this already installed.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Per the SurgeGuard brochure referenced in post #4 (above) the 41260 does NOT provide high/low voltage protection.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

How important is this and should I buy a surge protector that does support over/under voltage?
Old 09-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Most electronics including refridgerator, ac, tv are damaged by low voltage. Some campgrounds are notorious for this. Right now, I am looking at the voltage in the campground I am in. It reads 105 volts. If it drops down below 103 volts my surge guard will shut power down to save my electronics. I HiGHLY recommend protecting yourself from these conditions. Ac and refridgerator are not cheap!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I have a Progessive Industries 50 amp unit with the display mounted inside the coach. Most of the times it has activated have been the result of incorrect wiring or missing grounds in CG pedestals. It has operated several times on over or under voltage - mostly under voltage. Many of the older CGs have systems that are now operating at or near peak capacity and in periods of high usage, the line voltage is likely to drop. This can be extremely damaging to electronics. The surge guard Winnebago is installing will provide some of the protection and is certainly better than noting. It is unfortunate that they didn't go the full mile and install a complete system.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bay I
The surge guard that is installed in my 42QD is built in to the transfer switch. Transfer switch Model #41260. Not sure if this has over/under voltage or not but it automatically switches to generator if if sees issues. Below is from TRC's surge guard website.

The Surge Guard line of automatic transfer switches ensures continuous power to your coach by monitoring shore power and automatically switching to generator power when it detects electrical issues that could impact performance of equipment in your motorhome. The 41260 provides basic surge protection of 2600 joules at 76,400 Amps. Additional features include:

[*]Protects RV bumper to bumper from faulty park power.[*]Provides the following protection:
[*]Open neutral[*]Reverse polarity

[*]Time Delay at Power Up (Shore 3-4 Sec., Generator 30 Sec.)[*]Multi-mode Surge Suppression[*]Mechanical interlocking contactors.[*]UL Approved ATS - full transfer switch rating, UL1008..
I just posted a question. I own a 2012 Ellipse.....do you think it necessary to first turn your gen off prior to connecting to shore power? On hot days when I run the AC units with the gen running, it is nice to leave the gen on until you get hooked to shore power but I notice that the AC units will quit for a while when I do,this?

Do you think I am ok doing this or am I wrong?

Thanks for your opinion.
Largeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Largeandy View Post
I just posted a question. I own a 2012 Ellipse.....do you think it necessary to first turn your gen off prior to connecting to shore power? On hot days when I run the AC units with the gen running, it is nice to leave the gen on until you get hooked to shore power but I notice that the AC units will quit for a while when I do,this?

Do you think I am ok doing this or am I wrong?

Thanks for your opinion.
I think it's a matter of "good practice" as opposed to something you have to do. I try not to change power source from gennie to shore when there are large loads to avoid slamming the transfer switch too hard. Might just make it last longer.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD

Tags
itasca