Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2011 QD Tours

Couple of us are at the Crown Club at LazyDays with new 42 ft Tour QDs. Similar problems: No light in the door entry handle; slides are gouging the tile floor; can't find a CB antenna hook-up (found the power wires, but the tech here says there is no CB antenna hook up....go figure); windshields are noisy and poorly sealed; but the floor plan is by far the best in the land. The shower is to die for and we love it. Any comments on the small problems above? Just learned that there is also no remote for the awning and no remote for the fireplace. Interesting. Will appreciate any feedback.
thanx
airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2010 tour 40cd and I took the handle apart to seee why no light and its not even wired for it, got the lighted handle but no wire leading to it, also the dumbest thing ive seen is the light switch panel at the entrence has no lights to see the swicthes. The need to put a light that will stay on or lighted switches. other then that its super nice
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Agree about the switch panel. You can't see what's what. On ours the top row has the outside lights, the ceiling lights and the hydraulic levelers. Can't wait to hit the wrong switch in the dark and watch the coach withdraw the jacks.
airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Get those issues solved! We've been looking at the 42QD as something we'd move to in a year or two. We currently have an 08 Tour 40TD. I've looked at a lot of floor plans and that's the only one I would consider to replace ours. Most coaches, regardless of cost, pretty much botch the living room area. The TV is over there somewhere. There is no fireplace, etc. My wife agrees, so we're hoping you'll solve any problems before we pull the trigger

If it's like ours, pulling up the jacks isn't possible without the key in the accessory position. I haven't tried it without the key, but that's how it's supposed to work.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

So is the noisy windshield and the slides gouging the tile floor fairly common on all of the units, or just a small percentage.

Since we're newbies to MH and Winnebago, I'm assuming the slides are and easy adjustment, how about the resealing of the windshield, easy fix for the shops.

Just real curious, Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps90 View Post
So is the noisy windshield and the slides gouging the tile floor fairly common on all of the units, or just a small percentage.

Trap
It took 'Bago at the factory 3x to fix the slide that was gouging the ceramic floor tile. The windshield area still has wind (= noise) leaks. I have fixed some areas, have a few left. It's not the windshield. Windshield #2 is better than #1. #1 was not even centered in its mounts correctly.

I won't go into all the problems we have had with this coach that I have fixed, over and above what 'Bago, Cummins, and Freightliner have done and have yet to do; there are not enough days left in the year to write it all up. Our coach was bought new. We will never buy another Winnebago product.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

When did these problems pop up?

Who had the most deficiencies, Winnebago, Cummins or Freightliner?

These are serious questions.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
When did these problems pop up?

Who had the most deficiencies, Winnebago, Cummins or Freightliner?

These are serious questions.

Kerry
'Bago by far has the most. Most problems within the first year, but after repeated attempts to fix some major items, i.e. the large slideout problem, the final fix was well into year 2. Some items were vendor problems. 'Bago does not learn from their mistakes, whether in design (a classic example is the front end cap and associated parts) and their horrible assembly process. QC to them means Quick Cash and has absolutely nothing to do quality.

I forgot to mention HWH! Forest City did 2 different repairs, one on the hydraulics, been to Moscow IA 2x for fluid leaks, going again next week for another 2 leaks.

Next month we get some engine work done at Cummins (replace blown exhaust manifold gasket(s)), before the warranty expires, (or the coach expires!) and then to Gaffney for a new surge tank.

It's too bad I can't sign this coach up for Medicare.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Glad you responded with some specific deficiencies.

Up in the Industry News portion there was a post about a new quality assurance chief at Winnebago. He better get out of his office and see what's going on.

I realize some of the faults were not Winnebago's, but holy cow!! Somebody got to be in charge there.

Please take the time and write the president of Winnebago, he may be insulated from the real world outside of his office.

Kerry
Old 10-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreAZ View Post
It took 'Bago at the factory 3x to fix the slide that was gouging the ceramic floor tile. The windshield area still has wind (= noise) leaks. I have fixed some areas, have a few left. It's not the windshield. Windshield #2 is better than #1. #1 was not even centered in its mounts correctly.

I won't go into all the problems we have had with this coach that I have fixed, over and above what 'Bago, Cummins, and Freightliner have done and have yet to do; there are not enough days left in the year to write it all up. Our coach was bought new. We will never buy another Winnebago product.
Good like old news to me this is a 2006 MH
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Start with the first three posts.

Kerry
Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I was told the floor had developed a bow and had to be sanded to stop the scraping of the tile from the slide...fc fixed it..seems to be ok now
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
Good like old news to me this is a 2006 MH
Year makes no difference. Same junk. Forest City factory service now also bad. Good techs left during the downsizing. Remaining folks don't know too much, don't seem to care. Veterans seem to have long faces, just trying to protect whatever retirement they have, if any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner
Up in the Industry News portion there was a post about a new quality assurance chief at Winnebago. He better get out of his office and see what's going on.

I realize some of the faults were not Winnebago's, but holy cow!! Somebody got to be in charge there.

Please take the time and write the president of Winnebago, he may be insulated from the real world outside of his office.
QA Chief is probably a PR ploy.

Already wrote letter 3 years ago. Got stupid form letter in return. 'Bago president too busy having his picture taken for print ads in magazines. Last vain person that did that
drove his company to bankruptcy. (Hint: company's name started with "M"; name = 6 letters).

Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We certainly have not had this sort of problem in our 2008 Tour TD. After 3 years of fulltiming, we have had no issues with the slides and the tile floor, windshield has been flawless, as has most of the coach. The few minor issues we have had were promptly fixed by our dealer or Winnie at Forest City. The Freightliner chassis has also worked great - very reliable and comfortable.

I certainly have no complaints on our experience and would look at Winnebago first for any future coach.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I would agree with rv rick. We've had minor things done under warranty, but nothing that was a deal breaker. We have the same year and model (2008 40TD). We've been out 2-3 weeks per month this year, so we use it all the time. The QD is something we'd like to move up to some day. It's the only floor plan from any manufacturer that would convince us to upgrade. Hopefully they'll get the bugs worked out.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I also agree. Our 08 Tour has been relatively maintenance free. We would like to step up to the QD also.

Just want Winnebago to continue making a quality coach, regardless of model.

Kerry
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv rick View Post
We certainly have not had this sort of problem in our 2008 Tour TD. After 3 years of fulltiming, we have had no issues with the slides and the tile floor, windshield has been flawless, as has most of the coach. The few minor issues we have had were promptly fixed by our dealer or Winnie at Forest City. The Freightliner chassis has also worked great - very reliable and comfortable.

I certainly have no complaints on our experience and would look at Winnebago first for any future coach.

I hoping testimonials like this are more the norm than the rest of what I'm reading here. We wanting to get the 40cd or 42qd in the spring of 2012 and start fulltiming in it in 2013.

This is one of the first post that has scared me somewhat on buying the Itasca Ellipse.

Trap
Old 10-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Traps90: If you are looking for something absolutely maintenance free, it's not a house on wheels going 65mph down the road.
On another forum someone suggested a pet rock. But heck, that needs wiped off once in a while.
Here's my best advice. Pay a professional to do the initial delivery inspection. Take the coach for a 500 mile trip, overnighting several times, make a list and go back to the dealer. Tell the dealer what you are going to do, get it in writing and follow through. There are many members on this forum who are way more knowledgeable that the dealer and their techs. Don't be paralized with fear!

RVing is a wonderful way of life, look forward to it.

Kerry
Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Traps90: If you are looking for something absolutely maintenance free, it's not a house on wheels going 65mph down the road.
On another forum someone suggested a pet rock. But heck, that needs wiped off once in a while.
Here's my best advice. Pay a professional to do the initial delivery inspection. Take the coach for a 500 mile trip, overnighting several times, make a list and go back to the dealer. Tell the dealer what you are going to do, get it in writing and follow through. There are many members on this forum who are way more knowledgeable that the dealer and their techs. Don't be paralized with fear!

RVing is a wonderful way of life, look forward to it.

Kerry
Thanks Kerry I understand completely, just it can get a little scary when you are a newbie to MH (have owned 3 trailers) and new to a manufacture.

The Itasca is still at the top of our list.

Trap
Old 10-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

This is my second winnebago, had 2 Keystones toy haulers,1 Tiffin allegro, and 1 Forest River Georgetowwn ,1 Winnebago Chieftan and by far the Winnebago 40cd is the best one out of all of them and the least issues.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote