Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2011 Meridian 40U

Many of us with the '11 40U have found ripples running the width of the roof near the center A/C unit. I have a fairly large lump in this area, as I have posted in the past. The other day I was on a ladder working on the door awning. I looked under the slide topper and noticed that the top sill of the slide opening was not straight. It had a bit of a swayback to it. Now I know why I have that bulge in the roof fiberglass. The material could not shrink to compensate for the roof sag over the front slides roof spanning. Do all the 40Us have this problem? Is this just in the early production of this model? I have not seen any problems with cracking or leaking but I will keep a close watch as the years pass on.

Back to the door awning. Question: Does your door awning all but touch the top of your door when it is open? Is your awning not fully extended? This was the problem I was having. On my last Winnebago coach, the door awning had a spacer behind it. This lifted the extending edge so that it cleared the door. With this model in mind, I drilled out the three pop rivets holding the awing in place. I had a 1" x ~1/4" bar stock of aluminum that I got from HD for another project. I cut six 3" piece of the bar and pre-drilled. I had some black, sticky window sealing tape on hand. I used small amounts of it to stick the pieces together and to hold them behind the awning back with the holes in line. Then I pop riveted the unit back in place with longer rivets.

The tricky part, in all of this, was keeping the awning in place. Once it fell out of the track. No damage fortunately. DW opened and closed it as I needed through this process. After I had finished attaching it back to the coach I adjusted it to run out the full range. It works fine and now covers the entrance better, clears the door top and still sheds water.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 12-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Any pictures of the awning fix?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Any pictures of the awning fix?
I didn't keep a good record of the work. Sorry. Here are a couple of pictures of the finished work. And, it is wonderful to relax after a successful modification.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door1.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	558.6 KB
ID:	114849   Click image for larger version

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	421.7 KB
ID:	114850  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dawson.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	579.6 KB
ID:	114851  
Old 12-24-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Rick; our door awning touches the door, or is very close to it when the door's opened. I haven't noticed any signs of actual scrapping, i.e. worn paint marks etc. Will take a closer look this spring and at the RH living room slide opening. Dana
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Rick; our door awning touches the door, or is very close to it when the door's opened. I haven't noticed any signs of actual scrapping, i.e. worn paint marks etc. Will take a closer look this spring and at the RH living room slide opening. Dana
Hi Dana and Merry Christmas.

When you look at your awning, see if it extends to the end of the open door. Mine didn't. Also, I had the bolt in the door stop (the arm on top ot the door) break. A elevator bolt will nicely replace it. They are available in the specialty hardware draws at HD.

I hope your winter is treating you well. We are in the San Diego in hopes to get out of the cold. Will be below freezing tonight (again). So much for that hope. The rain of recent is refreshing to this parched land. We would simply like the cold to be gone.

Take care.

Rick
Old 12-25-2015, 05:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We've been having record temps in the 50-60 range the last 2-3 days, and only about 1/2 a dozen nights below freezing. Today Christmas was around 55 or so. We usually go camping over Easter, but if the MH wasn't put up for the winter we could have gone over Christmas this year!!!!
Old 12-26-2015, 08:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We've been having record temps in the 50-60 range the last 2-3 days, and only about 1/2 a dozen nights below freezing. Today Christmas was around 55 or so. We usually go camping over Easter, but if the MH wasn't put up for the winter we could have gone over Christmas this year!!!!
This is the weather we are having just a few miles from Tijuana. Your area is not known for such warm weather. Any snow this year, yet? We have had to use the gas heat several nights. The folks around here bundle up during the day when it is near 60* and no wind. I am so glad I came south west for the winter.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Back to the door awning. Question: Does your door awning all but touch the top of your door when it is open?
Our door caught on the awning when we purchased the rig.

It was adjusted very quickly and hasn't be a problem since.

I thought it was just the turn of a screw or something simple like that.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:12 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Our door caught on the awning when we purchased the rig.

It was adjusted very quickly and hasn't be a problem since.

I thought it was just the turn of a screw or something simple like that.
You are correct, Jeffery. It is corrected by the turning of a screw. Actually there are two adjustments. The in stop seems to be ok. It is the out stop that needed adjusting for both of us to keep the leading edge of the awning off the door. By shimming out the awning box to approximate the offset of the mounting track on the coach wall, you can then get the full coverage of the awning. This is what I now have.

Happy new year .

Rick
Old 01-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hello Rick,

I noticed your comment about the ripple in the roof. We too have a 40u and I noticed a ripple on the left side of our coach just in front of the middle AC unit. What do you think is happening? Any response from Winnebago? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chuck
Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA puttin View Post
Hello Rick,

I noticed your comment about the ripple in the roof. We too have a 40u and I noticed a ripple on the left side of our coach just in front of the middle AC unit. What do you think is happening? Any response from Winnebago? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chuck
Hi Chuck,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have been busy lately and not on the forum much.

If you have two 8' ladders and a willing friend, feed a string under the topper of each front slide and pull it tight at the upper opening, where the vertical and horizontal moldings meet. You will most likely notice that the opening sags in the middle. This is where your roof ripple is coming from. The roof skin can't move to follow the roof sag so it bulges up. Winnebago simply told me to watch them. If they don't crack there is no problem. Try not to step on them.

Because we have had our rigs for so long now I doubt that we could get a real fix. The roof was poorly engineered (in my opinion) and the only true fix it to replace the total roof structure. Short of winning a class action suet, that will never happen.

If the ripples do crack through I will probably patch them with helicopter tape. Great stuff tor this type of repair.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Rick; your roof should have the same 10 year warranty as mine does, so if the fiberglass does crack being as you have already notified Winnebago of a pre-existing condition you should have no problem.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks gentlemen for the information...a little scary! I had concerns about the freightliner chassis since it was a new concept, I guess the roof would be a "little" cheaper.
I am not the original owner of the unit (purchased it from La Mesa on Oct 2014), so I think that the 10 year warranty is out the door. The only thing that we can do is try and see if the aftermarket warranty would even consider a fix.
Old 02-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick; your roof should have the same 10 year warranty as mine does, so if the fiberglass does crack being as you have already notified Winnebago of a pre-existing condition you should have no problem.
Hi Dana,

I think I read in one of the past threads where someone had a possible defective roof material and Winnebago told the OP that the warranty was not transferable and only applied to the original owner. I hope someone has conformation on this. I don't want to spread rumors. Another consideration is the reason for the failure. If I understand this warranty correctly, it is for failures in the manufacturing of the material. If it were installed incorrectly that would be covered under the initial 12 month Winnebago warranty. So, if the roof design were at fault the roof material manufacture wold not cover the failure in any case and Winnebago would not cover it either because our rigs are well out of the original Winne warranty.

The roof design changed in the '11 model year to accommodate the roof A/C loads. How well this design is is now showing up in our rigs. I hope Winnebago has improved it. My roof definitely sags in the middle of the front room openings. With the roof material fastened tightly to the sub-roof by the A/C units, and the other fixtures on and through it, it has little room for movement or expansion and contraction caused by the environment changes we naturally encounter as we travel through the seasons and around the country.

How does this analysis strike you?

Rick Y
Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Guess I need to start reading the FINE PRINT of things, I'm one to usually gloss over stuff like that when I read them, TMI for me.
If I remember I'll take a close look at my roof in the spring. As I recall everything looked good when I covered the old gal up in Nov.