Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question 2011 Itasca Ellipse Wind Noise

My new 2011 Itasca Ellipse generates significant wind noise on the drivers side front corner of vehicle. I have observed that the noise level is clearly a function of MH speed, wind speed and wind direction relative to MH. I see no evidence of wind entering cabin, only noise. In researching this I have found the most likely cause is the drivers side mirror location. Any experience with like issue and corrective action.
MikSher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikSher View Post
My new 2011 Itasca Ellipse generates significant wind noise on the drivers side front corner of vehicle. I have observed that the noise level is clearly a function of MH speed, wind speed and wind direction relative to MH. I see no evidence of wind entering cabin, only noise. In researching this I have found the most likely cause is the drivers side mirror location. Any experience with like issue and corrective action.
I had the same problem and it was due to the drain holes at the bottom of the drivers side window. I removed the first two covers and installed some electrical tape over the holes and that took care of the problem. I now rely on the rear holes to provide for draining of the window channel.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the same issue. I think the problem is wind coming off the front of the coach and causing buffeting in the mirror. I have tried everything including changing out the entire mirror and I still get the obnoxious noise in certain wind/speed conditions. I don't know what to try next.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Very Interesting ! I have a new Tour on order so I hope others will reply.
Seems "MikSher", "Harry B", & "Texas TC" have a different idea about what is causing the noise.
Shoe Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, on my "to do" list is to check drivers window side weep holes for covers and try taping off, and I will try taping windows but do not expect this to solve problem. Has anyone contacted Winnebago technical services?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You might be surprised. If the driver's side drain hole covers are missing, this could be the source of your noise.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas TC
I have the same issue. I think the problem is wind coming off the front of the coach and causing buffeting in the mirror. I have tried everything including changing out the entire mirror and I still get the obnoxious noise in certain wind/speed conditions. I don't know what to try next.
Have you ever verified by removing mirror and seeing if wind noise goes away?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had exactly the same problem -- terrible wind noise on the driver's side window. There were no seep hole covers on the frame -- just the rectangular holes in the frame. My dealer gave me covers for each hole and they easily snapped in and the noise totally went away. Amazing!

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Had similar problem with my Suncruiser, but on the passenger side. Replacing lost weep hole covers helped some. Ended up stuffing some foam rubber in the ends of the covers. No covers on drivers side at all, but no noise is present there. The mirror on the passenger side is offset on this coach and I believe that wind turbulence from its position causes the problem.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Have you ever verified by removing mirror and seeing if wind noise goes away?
I have a similar noise problem with my Suncruiser. It is the mirror.

Now, I don't recommend anyone else do this - but I rotated the whole mirror assembly to the stowed position next to the side wall of the coach and then went for a test drive - noise was gone.

With the way the Suncruiser's mirrors are mounted, and my long arms, I could reach out the window and push the mirror assembly back into place, (and I could again see down the left side.)
I have since adjusted with the mirror head so that the mirror glass is flat across the head - no large gaps at the side of the glass.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

Velvac was not synpathetic. They said their mirrors are quiet.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I had my windshield replaced before I headed south this year. The coach was noisier after the replacement. I placed duct tape on both side of the vertical trim on the driver’s side and it was much quieter. I then removed the tape and applied a small bead of mastic along the edge of the trim piece, noise gone.

Use tapes or duct seal to cover gaps, cracks, holes and ridges and see what difference it makes. When you find the guilty area, take steps to rectify.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Last fall I was parked next to a new TOUR that had duct tape across the gap between the mirror and A pillar. The owner was a long time Winnebago owner who actually made some of the machines that they use in their factory. He said that the tape was the only thing that stopped the noise and was looking to Winnebago for a better solution.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the great responses. I looked at my Itasca Ellipse today and observed that I have three 1.5 inch slots across the lower drivers side window frame. The forward slot has a cover. I also observed that the location of my driver side mirror could contribute to the tunneling of wind into those exposed slots given the correct wind conditions. My next step is to tape exposed slots and take on my next trip and test. Will let you know what happens in two weeks.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Wind noise

I had the wind issue also. Look under the left front end of the unit under the fiberglass. There is a steel tube structure there that supports the front end and fiberglass. The tube is about 1 X 2 inch. Look into the tube and make sure there is a filler inside. If it is hollow, fill that inner tube with something that won't allow the air to go up the tube. I used a foam product that expands. It worked great and took away my wind noise. There is just a small amount that comes off the mirror.
Auggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks for all the great responses. I looked at my Itasca Ellipse today and observed that I have three 1.5 inch slots across the lower drivers side window frame. The forward slot has a cover. I also observed that the location of my driver side mirror could contribute to the tunneling of wind into those exposed slots given the correct wind conditions. My next step is to tape exposed slots and take on my next trip and test. Will let you know what happens in two weeks.
My 2010 Itasca Ellipse had the same noise. In my case its was the drain holes as other described. However, I tape over all the front holes and left the cover over the rear hole. I then used tape over the cover to insure the cover was sealed to the drain and air could flow / exit only from the rear of the cover. Made a lot of difference. I also have discovered my drivers side sliding window is not tight fitting and a air flow creates some noise there.
philbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

After 8000 miles and a new mirror, I found my problem today. Traveling about 70 mph on I10 just outside of El Paso, I had the noise occur. I found it was coming from the area where the drivers sliding window meets the stationary window. I could stop the noise by placing my fingers between the glass pane frames and applying pressure to separate the frames. Until I get home and find a better solution, I slid a folded piece of cardboard into the small gap and I have not heard a peep from the drivers side of the coach since. I guess I owe the mirror manufacturer an apology. I swore the mirror was the culprit.

Live and learn!

TxTC
Old 02-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

There may be other causes but, at a minimum, you should have weep hole covers installed. I almost didn't buy my coach after the test drive because of the wind noise. The saleslady complained to a mech and he immediately installed the covers. Repeat test drive, noise gone, closed the deal.

These little plastic jewels cover the weep holes but still allow them to do their job of draining water from the window frame. They are close at the front but open in the back. The problem with them is they are easy to dislodge. I put a little sticky putty behind mine and they stay on much better.

I think the covers are a much better solution than taping over the weep holes. That might cause you other more serious problems if a lot of water is hitting the window. And, they look better than tape!
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Without the drain hole covers it is like blowing across the top of an open bottle. The smaller the opening, the higher the pitch. I have spare covers, and they are not that cheap. Also, there are left hand drain covers, and right hand drain covers. The difference is the opening for drain faces to the rear of the coach so as to no catch the wind.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

On our Journey, we had a wind "whistle" sounding like it was coming from front center of windshield. I "blue" taped the opening around the generator access cover and drove it and the noise was eliminated. Bought some black automobile stick on weather stipping and stuck it around the opening so the the rear edge of the cover closes against it and has been working fine for a year now.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Checked out the front fiberglass mounting structure on my 11' Suncruiser and sure enough there was open ended square stock used in several places. I covered up the ends with duct tape and it did make a big difference in the wind noise. Will be filling them with foam today before our next trip.
LAT-LON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca