Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2011 40U braggin

My last coach was a '05 Vectra. I had more problems with it and had it in the shop way too often. One of the weakest systems on that coach was the electrical. It was not stable and came up short all the time. New batteries and inverter did not help much. It was simply under powered for what the coach demanded.

What a new world we are living in now. Power is not a problem. The Winnebago engineers did their homework when they were laying out the 2011 40U.

I have noticed from time to time that the inverter was on when we were on shore power. I was usually busy and didn't take the time to investigate because all was working well. This morning I had the 2 front A/C units on and I needed to make coffee for sleeping DW. We are on 30A service and were drawing 28A. I heated the leftover in the microwave for me and noted that the 28A didn't change. Then I ground the coffee and got the pot on. With this constant load I could now take the time to see what was going on. Here is what we have.

When the EMS is running near max the transfer switch in the Magnum inverter switches to the inverter mode if the load calling for power is on it. The EMS reports the inverter as assisting and by how much. In this case, 11A. So, my 30A shore power could do the cooling and the EMS didn't have to shed any loads. When load shedding is active it can be a bit inconvenient but then I can always (for the most part) start the generator.

We were boon docking at the in-laws a few months after we got this coach (2013). DW wanted to cook a turkey breast. That took about 3 hrs in the convection mode. About 4 hrs later the generator started to recharge the 6AGM house batteries. Last year
I did change the ceiling halogens to LED's and that does extend battery life and give much better light. We truly love living in this coach.

My question for you folks reading this: are you seeing the same thing? How strong is your unmodified power? (LED upgrade is okay to have in place.) Do you feel as safe and secure as we do?

Thanks for your comments.

Rick Y
Old 02-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ricky; let me know if what I think your saying is right? When on 30 AMP IF you have the inverter on, that the inverter will pick up any draw in excess of 30AMPS? We have the same coach and I never have the inverter on unless boondocking. Where we camp a lot is only 30AMP service, and I've had the EMS shed loads if going over 30AMPS, usually it'll shed the A/C. So if I turn the inverter on and go over 30AMPS the inverter will pick up the addition load?
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We are rarely on 30A but have noticed the inverter picking up the slack once when we went over 30. The microwave was the extra load and didn't sound happy about it. I don't think our connection/microwave liked the inverters wave form.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have also noticed (happen on 20A) that the battery charger will de-rate itself if it needs to so that it can run less than 20A and still charge. If charger ramped up too high, it de-rated to allow some charging but no so much as too exceed available power.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Ricky; let me know if what I think your saying is right? When on 30 AMP IF you have the inverter on, that the inverter will pick up any draw in excess of 30AMPS? We have the same coach and I never have the inverter on unless boondocking. Where we camp a lot is only 30AMP service, and I've had the EMS shed loads if going over 30AMPS, usually it'll shed the A/C. So if I turn the inverter on and go over 30AMPS the inverter will pick up the addition load?
This is correct. It seems to be the microwave and the plugs in the galley sink area that do this. I don't have enough observation time to have the exact circumstances that invoke this to happen but I have seen it once or twice. At the moment the front A/C (heat pumps) are on along with the coffee pot running off the plug near the control center. L2 is 18A, L1 is 0A, three loads are shed and one of them is the front A/C unit. The inverter is reading Disabled by the EMS panel. This is NOT one of those time the inverter picks up the slack.

I always have my inverter on and my generator set to Automatic. This arrangement has come in handy a few times in WA when a tree would fall on the power lines. We often didn't notice a problem but the generator would start and that would alert. The only 'flag' we might get is the fireplace. It would shut down because it is not on the inverter. When the generator would start the fireplace start again.

I still think the electrical controls on this coach are amazing!

Rick Y
Old 02-16-2015, 07:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
We are rarely on 30A but have noticed the inverter picking up the slack once when we went over 30. The microwave was the extra load and didn't sound happy about it. I don't think our connection/microwave liked the inverters wave form.
Hi Jeffery. That is interesting. The inverter should be the Magnum true or pure sine wave, 2800W inverter if you have the residential refrigerator option and 6 AGM batteries. If you have the RV frig than you have 4 AGM's and the 2000W inverter. This option could make the inverter work hard.

A PS to my above post. I just turned on the fireplace and now L1 is reading 10A with a total of 27 to 28A fluctuating.

When on 30 or 20A service it helps to set the inverter option to 5A. That helps to keep it from hogging the available power. This is a smart inverter so it will share if the house loads are demanding more, so I think that is what I am reading and understanding.

Thanks, all, who are joining. The more observations the better it is for all of us to understand the mysteries of our coach.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 02-16-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Rick,
Could you tell us more about the make and model of the LED's you got. We got some from CampingWorld and did not like the amount of light they gave out compared to the original bulbs.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Outbumn
If you are planning to attend the Winn GNR, Elio - the manufacturer of the LED ceiling fixtures in current vintage coaches, sell the fixtures. I replaced all my ceiling fixtures with theses after a poor experience with LED bulbs. Two years ago, the large (4.5") ceilng fixture was $13+ and the small about $10. These are complete fixtures with surface mount LEDS and a much better alternative than replacement bulbs - which will likely cost more. You can check the Elio website for detailed specs - Winn uses the "Radience" fixtures. Good luck,
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbumn View Post
Rick,
Could you tell us more about the make and model of the LED's you got. We got some from CampingWorld and did not like the amount of light they gave out compared to the original bulbs.
Ron, I can't be any more detailed than this : Elite Series Retrofit LED to replace Small 10w G4 / T3 Halogen

This company stands behind its products and its products are the best I have been able to find. They are a bit price heavy. I hope the price starts to come down as popularity goes up.

What most folks don't understand about lighting is the Kelvin temperature is what determines the color of the light. Most incandescent lights are 2800K and that is yellow; hard on the eyes. Many of the new CFL's and LED's are in this range or the 6500K range which is blueish. Again, hard on the eyes. The 3800 to 5500K range seems to be more daylight feeling to the eyes. After getting the correct temperature the wattage should be considered. My LED's in the ceiling are 20W replacement LED's and they consume around 3W if I recall correctly (each). They fit the fixture great.

I hope this helps. Sorry for being so long winded.

Rick Y
Old 02-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Question! If you don't boondock and are on shore power 99% of the time, why spend $ on LED's. That said I love the EMS.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Popcorn Man; We've started swapping out the Halogen lights as they burn out for LED's 2 reasons 1) the Halogens burn out in short time as compared to the LED's, and 2) HEAT, light sockets that have had Halogens in them and are used all the time will suffer from heat exhaustion, i.e. burned and melted!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man View Post
Question! If you don't boondock and are on shore power 99% of the time, why spend $ on LED's. That said I love the EMS.
D Lindy's comments x2 and the quality of the light is MUCH better. With the LED's in place I no longer feel as if I am is a cave. The 4500K temperature is very restful to the eyes and saturates the surroundings better than the 2800K halogens. And when the A/C is needed it isn't fighting the heat from the halogens. LED's are a no brainier now that I have them installed.

Rick Y
Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

D Lindy & Rick, Good idea to replace halogens with LED as they burn out. I realize there is a heat factor but I usually don't have a lot of lights on at one time. M4 looks good as a vendor. I guess I will be a greeter at Wallyworld for a few months to pay for them.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Man View Post
D Lindy & Rick, Good idea to replace halogens with LED as they burn out. I realize there is a heat factor but I usually don't have a lot of lights on at one time. M4 looks good as a vendor. I guess I will be a greeter at Wallyworld for a few months to pay for them.
That's a plan! You won't regret the upgrade. Getting the money? That's another story.

Rick Y
Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I didn't replace ALL my halogen bulbs at the same time. What I did was go on the cheap side, and bought 6, 24LED G4 base lights on Ebay, and replaced the 4 Halogens in the Kitchen ceiling and the 2 between the Living room and Kitchen. I kept the 6 halogens to use as replacement's being as it seemed I'd burn out 1 Halogen every time we camped. I'm now out of Halogen spares and will buy a group of 10 LED's from Ebay.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I didn't replace ALL my halogen bulbs at the same time. What I did was go on the cheap side, and bought 6, 24LED G4 base lights on Ebay, and replaced the 4 Halogens in the Kitchen ceiling and the 2 between the Living room and Kitchen. I kept the 6 halogens to use as replacement's being as it seemed I'd burn out 1 Halogen every time we camped. I'm now out of Halogen spares and will buy a group of 10 LED's from Ebay.
I don't know which style you are using. I tried several different manufactures and only the M4 ones seem to last. After about 7 months of use (we leave the lights on all day when in the coach) only one has failed and M4 replaced it without question. Will you provide a link to your LED's? Thank.

Rick Y
Old 02-20-2015, 11:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Rick, Here's a link to the LED's I will buy on Ebay. What I buy is the cheapest I can find. Right now there's a group of 10 LED's for $14.39. 10pcs Pure White AC DC 12V G4 24 SMD LED Reading Marine Boat Spot Light Lamps US | eBay
Old 02-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick, Here's a link to the LED's I will buy on Ebay. What I buy is the cheapest I can find. Right now there's a group of 10 LED's for $14.39. 10pcs Pure White AC DC 12V G4 24 SMD LED Reading Marine Boat Spot Light Lamps US | eBay
I don't recommend this style LED. I have had several of them and they failed within weeks. The segments would heat the circuit board, turning it brown, and then fall off. If the manufacturer has a new design and this problem is fixed than you have a good deal going.

Another thing I see in the picture is the color. They seem more toward the bluish, ie 6500K temperature. Some folks like that. I don't. For me the blue is harsh and distracting on the ceiling.

I hope they work all around for you. Keep us posted with pictures of before and after. This is a GREAT deal for you if they do what you are expecting.

Rick Y
Old 02-21-2015, 05:05 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Rick; While I don't full time, I've had the 6 LED in use for 2 years now and not lost any. I usually have the kitchen lights on every evening as well as the next set of 2 (forget what they're labeled as but their the same as yours) every evening while watching TV. I'd say that I probably camp about 80 days a summer.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick; While I don't full time, I've had the 6 LED in use for 2 years now and not lost any. I usually have the kitchen lights on every evening as well as the next set of 2 (forget what they're labeled as but their the same as yours) every evening while watching TV. I'd say that I probably camp about 80 days a summer.
Same as mine in pin style of heat sync? If they have a heat sync then they should do fine. Are yours a bit bluish or very slightly yellowish?