Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 06:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2011-2014 Tour / Ellipse 42QD Questions

As we have been researching for the right RV, I have been reading this forum regularly. This looks like a great bunch of very helpful people!

We have narrowed our search down to the Tour/Ellipse 42QD. We really like the floorplan, the diesel powertrain, large bathroom space, and overall comfort of the unit.

We will be buying used, so I wanted to reach out to this group and see about any known issues. We are looking at 2011-2014 models. Are there any common or known issues that might steer us toward or away from any specific model years?

Perhaps powertrain problems, slide issues, hydronic heat problems?

Any significant upgrades that have happened during this time that we should not miss?

Any recalls to check?

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

A friend has a 2013 42QD. He has had nothing but trouble with the full wall slide with the Lippert Swintek mechanism.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Purchasing Used Ellipse or Tour QD

I have a 2014 Ellipse QD and the large Schwintek slide has failed twice and even when working it makes a very loud rubbing and slapping noise when going down the road. To stop it you have to lube the jibs often. Because of the excessive failure rate of the Schwintek slide - saw one poll on line with a 56% failure rate - Winnebago now uses a Power Gear slide mechanism for the large passenger side slide. I believe the Power Gear slide is very reliable. My recommendation is make sure a used Ellipse or Tour has the Power Gear slide!
SamFye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Chas & Sam, thanks for the quick replies.

I have read about problems with Schwintek slides in many forums.

Do you happen to know when Winnebago moved the 42QD to Schwintek slides?
Old 09-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You'll probably be safe with a 2011-2013 still having the Power Gear slide system. FWIW the Power Gear system is reliable and more then stout enough to handle the bigger slides. We have a larger slide (not full wall though) with the residential fridge in it and no problems at all with the power gear system in the 3 years we've had our unit. Then in I believe 2015 they went back to a newly designed Power Gear (yes at this time they were owned by Schwintek) system that seems to be doing a great job.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
You'll probably be safe with a 2011-2013 still having the Power Gear slide system. FWIW the Power Gear system is reliable and more then stout enough to handle the bigger slides. We have a larger slide (not full wall though) with the residential fridge in it and no problems at all with the power gear system in the 3 years we've had our unit. Then in I believe 2015 they went back to a newly designed Power Gear (yes at this time they were owned by Schwintek) system that seems to be doing a great job.

2013s have the Schwintek slide system.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Barb View Post
As we have been researching for the right RV, I have been reading this forum regularly. This looks like a great bunch of very helpful people!

We have narrowed our search down to the Tour/Ellipse 42QD. We really like the floorplan, the diesel powertrain, large bathroom space, and overall comfort of the unit.

We will be buying used, so I wanted to reach out to this group and see about any known issues. We are looking at 2011-2014 models. Are there any common or known issues that might steer us toward or away from any specific model years?

Perhaps powertrain problems, slide issues, hydronic heat problems?

Any significant upgrades that have happened during this time that we should not miss?

Any recalls to check?

Thanks!

We have had our 2013 Tour QD for 1014 days and used it 47% of that time. We are very happy with it and would do it again. I like the cargo room that the Schwintek slide mechanism allows.
Jesse
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The issue on the Tour QD is not the full wall slide as that has always been Powergear, the issue is mainly the front slide on the passenger side. For several years (2012-early 2015) the two smaller slides used the Schwintek system. The components are not robust enough to handle the weight of the larger slide. This slide contains the kitchen and L-shaped couch.

If you are lucky to get one that is properly installed and maintained they work fine. But there are many issues that seem to have been reported from the wall not being squared to the carrying rollers that support the slide box not being adjusted right. It appears all the weight is supposed to be carried by the rollers with 4 small "Gibs" and 4 nylon wheels hold the slide box perpendicular as it moved in and out. Any extra force in these components seem to cause failure in either the component or the carrying aluminum rails mounted to the box.

There has been reports of a retrofit, but no reports of it being installed yet. If you do get a unit with the large slide with Schwintek components, get CRC lube and slide bars. I think a big issue is the slide moves out during travel and puts excessive force on these components as many seem with the issue complain of the slide squeaking. I had this issue initially and the bars stopped all noise.

After this one issue and you get the slides deployed, it is a great layout. I have the Journey 42E which is the mirror layout to the Tour. It has been great to use and live in. There is very little I would change
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Rich, what are the lube points on that gally slide? The last I heard was that Lippert said no lube except for the gibs.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

There is a Youtube video on the Lippert Components Youtube Channel, there are links on the forum with a quick search.

If I remember correctly the video has you lube the coupling between the motor and slide gear. This is above the gibs and supporting wheel so any excess will run down to those components. The product used and a dry Teflon type lube that is not supposed to attract dirt and dust.

I am not an engineer, but I would think this could be fixed with stainless steel tracks, wheels and motor brakes. All failures I have seen have the slide box falling off center from the carrying rollers, not to say there aren't others but this is the type I have seen, and several of them. It is the gib sliding in the track that holds the slide box perpendicular to the carrying rollers underneath. So either the gibs fail, the track fails or the guidewheel under the track fails. It could also be the slide box shifts fore and aft causing the gibs to fall out of the track.

I do believe that securing the box once retracted with slide bars helps keep excess force off the mechanism. Once the box is retracted the frame and trim support the box against the wall frame and keep the bouncing in travel from twisting the gib/track and stop damage to the nylon guide wheel. The drive motors will slacken and allow the box to move out. Even a little movement will put an excessive twisting force on the gibs/track and wheels as the support center is at the outer edge of the slide box. Can you say Seesaw?

By having more robust components they can withstand the daily use better. By having braked motor the box will stay tightly retracted or extended. There are also reports of improper installation tolerances, I guess better QC is needed.

I will keep my fingers crossed until a fix arrives.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:48 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Alan: You are making a wise choice as service is available almost anywhere. Even the million dollar coaches need unexpected maintenance. Factory service at Forrest City, Iowa to me has always been topnotch.

That said, the issue with the full wall slide has not been resolved to all owners of 2013-2014 motorhomes. That is the biggie!

We have a 2012QD with PowerGear slide motors,etc,.,. Ours has been flawless. I do all the outside stuff and wonderful wife brings the slides in and leveling gear up. When I'm on the outside it is almost a silent operation. Inside you can hear everything working properly. Other than that have only replaced the water pump.

We travel for many months at a time and loaded to the max (not me) we averaged 8.9mpg at the pump. Waited until 20,000 miles before keeping track. And we crossed the Rockies coming and going (Denver & Flagstaff). Not sure Cummins meant for the 450hp to be that economical on fuel. Drive at 63mph on cruise control, and in steep climbing situations econo off. Good luck.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Xboater,
I have to disagree with you. My friend's 2013 42QD has Schwintek all around. The only slide that has been problematic is the full wall slide.
So my advice to Alan is: if the coach you're considering has those telltale gear racks on the side of the full wall slide, walk away.
My friend spent his entire 2014 summer making trips to and from the repair shop trying to get his slide fixed.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I will not say you are wrong, perhaps your friend has a demo or trial unit. I owned a Tiffin Phaeton that was a pre-model that only had a couple units built.

I have never seen a Tour 42QD with Schwintek fullwall. Given the weight, TV wall unit, Dinning area, refrigerator, bedroom closets and the overall force to move a 30 ft slide box, I would be amazed if the slide box would not just fall out if not for some underneath support system when extending. I would ask you to look again, it should have three support arms under the full wall (drivers side) slide, it is a Powergear mechanism.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2012 Tour 42QD with 25K miles. Have not experienced any problems with the slides or with the coach in general other than some minor items. We bought it used two years ago with 7K miles.

Good Luck.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the replies.

Based on the responses above, I called Winnebago technical support and asked about the slides.

According to them, the passenger side slides were switched to Schwintek for 2013 and forward. The full wall slide has never been Schwintek.

Thanks again, this really helps.