Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2010 Itasca Ellipse

Hi All:

I finally got a chance to go on my break-in/shake down run. Here in fort wilderness at Disney World for 10 days. Coach ran great and drove smooth. Some very minor issues that I took care of. Last few days have been cold but both furnace's worked great.

Just went now to turn on rear furnace and will not turn on. I checked fuse, etc. Any Ideas that it going to be another cold night. Front Furnace works fine, (also a question) what temp does normally heat pumps stop working now is 45 and went right to furnace (Never Had Heat Pump in prior coach and nothing in manuel just when temp gets cold)

Thanks,

Evo
Squirty64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The heat pump will start, or try to start, the furnace if the difference between the setting and actual inside temperature is greater than about 6 degrees. If you set the thermostat to 70 and it's 63 inside, the furnace is used until the inside temperature comes up.

Our rear furnace originally had a problem with its thermostat. A small wire had broken in the thermostat. It could be something that simple.

We recently had a problem with our front furnace. To spread the heat from the rear furnace, I turned off the front thermostat and set the fan to "on" instead of "auto". A day or two later, the front furnace decided to start working again. I blame gremlins
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Normally, the heat pump should keep you nice and warm down to outside temps of mid to upper 30's. Mine will put out good warm air down to about 34 - 36 F outside and the gas furnace will not run.

Do you have the T-stat set on 'electric heat?' My coach has only one gas furnace so not sure how Winne sets up the coaches with 2 gas furnaces. I am sure others with those rigs will chime in.

Bottom line, with outside temps in the mid 40's, your heat pump should be all the heat you need without using the gas furnace/s.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

My heat pump will come on if I set the thermostat up 2° and not more, after it heats up then 2° more. If the temp is set too high and the heat pump tries too many times (3 strikes) then the gas furnace will come on and no heat pump.
My rear furnace would not come on and my service guy said it could be a contact switch that gets bumped during travel or not enough use. I have since gotten it to work every time and now try to use it at least for a short time occasionally in the mornings. Maybe tomorrow I better turn it on, been a while.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the answers, I just realized after reading the replys I was raising the temp to high on the electric (Heat Pump) and the furnace would kick on (Been wasting all that propane). Heat pump is working great made it nice and cozy.

The Rear Heat I took the thermostate cover off but did not see anything. Wires are on tight, so maybe thermostate went bad.

Thanks Again,

Evo & Esther
2010 Itasca Ellipse 40BD
Toad 2010 Ford Flex
Old 12-16-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

In my 05 when set on electric heat above the 2o the gas furnace comes on and when it reaches temperature the electric/heat pump works from then on. If it can't maintain temp then the gas comes back on..Good Luck and Happy Holidays
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

do you have the aqua heat water system in your 2010, the 2010 tour uses this system and you have to switch the switch on the command center over from heat pump to the other heat botton and it heats various zones.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks again for the replys, This unit does not have the aqua hot system. Aqua hot would have been nice but when we were looking could not get the numbers to work for a 2011 (love that new front cap) so we decided on the 2010.

I called customer support at winnie and figured out it is a bad thermostate switch in the rear. Last few days finally warmed so heat pump did its job.

Happy Holidays,

Evo & Esther
2010 Itasca Ellipse 40BD
Toad 2010 Ford Flex