Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2009, 06:23 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Sounds good to me....
Wanda
dr.koolwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.koolwanda View Post
Well, that has answered just about most of my questions about the 2009 except one, since we are in A/C business, do you like the A/C's in the bay or would you prefer them on the roof?
Wanda

I hope you don't mind me jumping in as a "non winny" owner, but having owned a Winnebago Journey with basement air for 4 years, I'd like to present another viewpoint.

When we had our Journey, I liked the combination heatpump/AC basement unit when comparing it to the rooftop AC units I had on previous motorhomes. It had several advantages compared to the older rooftop units such as I could used a high quality residential filter on the unit, and the fact that it was also a heatpump. It also provides the smoother look to the roofline and possibly a lower overall profile if you do not have satellite dome or vent covers already on the roof.

There's also were a couple of downsides to the unit though to consider. The noise under the bed is noticible, but you will get used to it after a few nights. To us, the noise outside was more objectionable. When sitting around under the awning or at a campfire near the rear of the rig, the noise of the basement unit is sometimes annoying because it is right at ear level. Having that noise on the roof seemed better. It's not a huge deal, but just be aware of it.

The other disadvantage is one that is just inherent to any central air system. Basically it is "central" which means it distributes the heated or cooled air throughout the coach. Usually that's a positive, but can sometimes be a disadvantage if you only want to heat or cool a portion of the rig. For instance, if the sun is shining in the front of the rig and it is warm there, being able to run a front A/C may better suit your climate needs inside the coach. Winnebago does a good job of mitigating that effect through by having a non-ducted return air scheme which forces the return air to the system to all be drawn in through the bedroom. This return path causes the air to be circulated throughout the coach which compensates for the unit only having a single location thermostat and single A/C unit. In other words, as long as the air is circulating, from the front and being pulled to the back, the mid-coach location of the thermostat gets an average temperature and works OK, but keep in mind that is an average temperature.

Speaking about rooftop units now, my opinion of the new ones has changed quite a bit to the positive when compared to the older units. In past motorhomes with roof airs, they were noisy, dumped water on the roof which always dripped off the awning, and generally didnt' distribute the conditioned air very well, but those things have changed. WIth our current rig, the three rooftop A/C units can hardly be heard either inside or outside the motorhome when running. No longer do rooftop units drain water over the side of the coach, as many newer ones actually eject the water through condensate drains that exit under the coach. With ducted supply as well as return paths, air is distributed very well throughout the rig.

Since rooftop A/C's are are individual units, you can selectively heat or cool various areas of the coach depending on requirements. In our rig, the thermostat has 3 separate zones of heating or cooling each which can have a separate setpoint for temperature on the centrally located thermostat since each zone is monitored individually. Two zone units with two rooftop A/C's also provide that capabiltiy which can be nice if you like keeping one area of the coach warmer or cooler than another. The multi-zone heating or cooling is also handy when camped with only 20 or 30 amp service as you may not have enough power available to cool the entire rig, so you can be selective.
The zoned temperature control is really nice if you prefer to keep a sleeping area cooler perhaps than the living area.

My point is that both systems work very well so you don't want to eliminate a motorhome from your consideration based solely on the type of climate control it uses.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:42 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all your input, really good information, since we don't have our Motorhome yet, that is what you guys are here for. I get to hear all the pros and cons. Looks like Winnebago has really done their homework, when we are off to Hershey PA we will remember all your information when we are searching for our dream home, all things considered I think most are happy with their Winnie over all. We see more of them on the road, especially on Interstate 40 which takes you all the way to Barstow CA.
Wanda
Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Cool

After going over your post I see that you have got an Allegro Bus. We have had our eyes set on it since 2006. It is an awesome rig.

We will definitely be looking at the Tiffin products, I see Colton RV will be there.

We took the tour in Red Bay about two years ago, must say we were very impressed with what we saw.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

You talk about the Tiffn Allegro Bus.. Wait til you see the new 2010 Bus. You will do a back flip after checking it out! If you compare apples to apples, Vectra to Bus, you will see that the Bus is less expensive with more value added. I have a 07 42QRP Bus and the price differnece between my Bus and a new 2010 43QRP Bus is only $7k.......not bad at all!

I think that the problem Winnie was having with the Vectra is the price. As mentioned previously. If I'm not mistaken a 40' Vectra went for about $330k where a Tiffin 40' Bus would go for around $30k......Again it's what are you getting for your dollar?
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #26

I know that JoeK was talking about his Allegro Bus, but I think the new 2010 Winnebago Tour with the tag axle has gone to 3 roof airs -- BUT only 2 can run at a time. Can someone confirm this?
- CoolJudy
CoolJudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJudy View Post
I know that JoeK was talking about his Allegro Bus, but I think the new 2010 Winnebago Tour with the tag axle has gone to 3 roof airs -- BUT only 2 can run at a time. Can someone confirm this?
- CoolJudy
I believe that's 'Only two can run at a time if plugged into 30 amps'.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:19 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

According to a reliable source . . .
Winnebago is only building units on an as-ordered basis. It is probable that if you order a '10 Tour, and specify the IFS, you will be able to get it - albeit at a cost. Freightliner builds the chassis to order.

I really like the new Journey Express 34Y (since they fixed the passageway problem for '10). But since it is only available with the ISB and has a 5000# tow rating, I'll have to pass. I asked if I could get an upgrade to the Journey drivetrain / rear axle - but no, because they are on different chassis.

And I really like our '05 36RD Vectra . . . except for the Cat engine. I really wish it had the Cummins, and a king bed.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to rowesort
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAT & BETH View Post
We have a 2005 Vectra AD. We took it to Alaska in 05 and again this year. We have about 55,000 miles on it. The feature we enjoy the most is the TV is down bellow, not over the dash. We replaced the couch with two recliners.....................just like home.
Most of the problems have been some what miner. The fuel tank, the last 20 gals takes for ever. If anyone knows a fix please let us know.
OPen the cap on the 2nd fuel filler works great on my Ultimate Advantage when at high volume pumps
rowesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Interesting discussion. We added a dishwasher to our 2008 Tour 40TD (same Fisher Paykell as the Vectra) and it fits perfectly. Also, so far, I have enjoyed the basement air. We ended up being on 30 amp service several times this summer and it was great to have the total AC running. Several friends were frustrated (and hot) when they could only run one of their two roof airs.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2005 Vectra FD with the 400 ISL engine. We travel with two parties that have Monaco's and they are both ready to switch to the Vectra which was lower price than theirs. Main reason's, down TV, much more and easy to use storage and layout with 3 couples with the FD design. We can all eat or play games at our table. I bought two extra chairs. I wish I knew Winnebago's reasoning as the Monaco folks equate the Vectra to the Windsor model, the best of everything without the eye-candy. Larry
RocketmanRV is offline   Reply With Quote