Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2009 Tour Electrical Drain?

It's new, it's stored for a while and the house batteries are dead after a way to short a time. Real short.

It is plugged in now and charging, but . . . when I switch off the electrics with the two switches as I go out the door, am I not supposed to be shutting everything down, out and off? One switch for the chassis battery off and one switch for the house batteries off.

Should something seem not right? The house batteries were at 5 amps when I cought this.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's acting just like my 2008 Destination. I'd leave it for a few days and the house batteries would be dead.

I called Winnebago, and here is what I now do - and it works fine.

I leave the coach plugged into 115 using adapters down from the 50 amp to 30 am to 15 am plugs, and I go through my progressive industries protector just so i can see what the voltages are.

Then, when I leave, I DO NOT disconnect the service batteries, or the house batteries. I close the screen door once the step goes in (but you can leave it out) and then I reach in and turn off the stop motor. This is what the Winnebago tech recommended. He stated that leaving the switch on will draw current (go figure). The charging circuit now charges both the service batter and the house battery. You must leave the house batteries and the service batteries connected for the charger to work.

Since you have a brand new coach, and even if it were a couple years old, you can call Winnebago directly and speak with a technician. they will ask you for your serial number and then the will be able to tell you exactly what type charger you have and if it services both the chassis and house batteries. I'm almost willing to bet you have the new trickle charge system, and it should maintain your batteries.

Good luck.

Edited: p.s., The only other way is to disconnect the negative lead on both systems battery posts. Even then, batteries will drain after time so maybe a trickle charger would be in order. I opted for the method above.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I noticed the same battery drain when I got my Tour about 18 months ago. I brought it in for repair and the tech said that a faulty solenoid was causing the drain.

A few mods I did to reduce the parasitic drain include:
- add on/off switch to outlet where microwave is plugged in. When dry camping or in storage, we only flip the switch on when we need the microwave.

- on/off toggle switches for both the radio in the bedroom and the radio in the compartment.

There is a bunch of other drains including the sleep number bed, TVs, any plugged in chargers, etc.

Good luck!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When all power is shut off the the gas leak detector is still operating and will have a drain on the house batteries or chassis batteries. Which one depends on which is supplying power to the detector.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

To update, we are still fighting the drawdown and it is a problem. A call to Winnebago was no help.

With the battery switches (by the door) shut off the house batteries lose 2 volts in 24 hours while the chassis battery holds its own.

The specs say we have a Trik-l-charger but so far I can not find it an no service folks have been able to tell me where it is, or should be.

The inverter in the bay where the shoreline comes in is always on and noisy with the fan running when we are plugged in -- is not that always the charger, too? -- and I can not find a shut off switch for it anywhere.

This much battery drain when "shut down" can not be normal . . . can it?
Old 01-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Not sure if the 2009 Trik-l-Charge location is the same as my 2007, but here is where mine is 'hidden':

1. go to rear-most compartment on passenger side

2. there is a metal 'box' with some DC circuit breakers. (left side of compartment)

3. carefully unscrew the box from the wall

4. you will see the trik-l-charge mounted to the wall after you carefully pull the box away (wires will limit how far you can pull the box off).

Good luck!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Something's up with the battery drain. We've left ours unplugged for a couple of weeks and the drain has been minimal.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhouse View Post
The specs say we have a Trik-l-charger but so far I can not find it an no service folks have been able to tell me where it is, or should be...
The 2nd sheet (3rd page of the pdf) of the Chassis Wiring Installation for your coach shows you where the Trik-L-Start is installed.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If you have three (3) 12v batteries, check each cell.
The big drawback to 12v batteries is they cannibalize each other. I have experienced it.
NAPA replaced all three, under warranty, and I put about two ounces (or less) of mineral oil in each cell and have been problem free for over a year.
When at home stays plugged in and have NEVER had to add distilled water. (I check)
I'm just saying......Over 15K miles last year.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote